Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

BVHE Press Release: Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 Special Edition (DVD)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,278 posts

Posted September 01 2010 - 06:36 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 01 2010 - 07:39 AM

I welcome Fantasia on Blu-ray. I'm sure it will look spectacular. I'm hopeful the bit of visual censoring from the VHS / DVD edition will not be carried over on the  Blu-ray, trivial though it was.

Aren't the supplements reversed?

Doesn't Destino and Dali and Disney: A Date With Destino  belong to the Fantasia time period?

Isn't Musicana closer to the Fantasia 2000 time period?

I have no interest in Fantasia 2000, but I will buy it for Destino.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   GaryEA

GaryEA

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted September 03 2010 - 03:36 PM

Destino is finally being released but only on Blu-ray? Are you kidding me?

I know I'm the minority that does not have Blu-ray in my home, but having Destino as an exclusive to one format is just sad. Even if I had BR, i would still feel that it was unfair.

Destino should be available to as many people possible. It is a landmark in animation history, Disney history, and the Dali legacy.

I hope Disney reads this forum and does the right thing, by giving Destino and the documentary it's own release on both formats.

Gary

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts

Posted September 03 2010 - 03:49 PM

Agreed, although you have things a little backwards in that BR owners are not even close to being the majority.  Still, it doesn't change the fact that it's a lame decision.  I suppose I can be thankful for their shortsightedness and be content with my original box set.  Just doesn't seem to be any reason to double dip.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,133 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 04 2010 - 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Richard--W 

I welcome Fantasia on Blu-ray. I'm sure it will look spectacular. I'm hopeful the bit of visual censoring from the VHS / DVD edition will not be carried over on the  Blu-ray, trivial though it was.

Aren't the supplements reversed?

Doesn't Destino and Dali and Disney: A Date With Destino  belong to the Fantasia time period?

Isn't Musicana closer to the Fantasia 2000 time period?

I have no interest in Fantasia 2000, but I will buy it for Destino.

Destino is with Fantasia 2000 since they were both shepard by Roy Disney Jr. full filling his Uncle Walt's vision.  I think Musicana belongs with Fantasia since this was Walt's vision of Fantasia 2000 and closer to Fantasia than Fantasia 2000.  But this is just my opinion.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,747 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 04 2010 - 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by mdnitoil 

Agreed, although you have things a little backwards in that BR owners are not even close to being the majority.

Not speak for GaryEA but I think he meant the majority of people here at HTF.

That being said, I own a Blu-ray player and plan to buy Fantasia on Blu-ray but I also think it's lame to exclude content from the DVD.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted September 06 2010 - 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by GaryEA 

I know I'm the minority that does not have Blu-ray in my home, but having Destino as an exclusive to one format is just sad. Even if I had BR, i would still feel that it was unfair.

Destino should be available to as many people possible. It is a landmark in animation history, Disney history, and the Dali legacy.

I hope Disney reads this forum and does the right thing, by giving Destino and the documentary it's own release on both formats.

Gary

Gary,

You are not alone. I don't have Blu-Ray either, and I hate how most companies are doing this now but at least Disney does offer Blu-Ray combo packs. This way you can enjoy the DVD and when you do decide to upgrade you already have the Blu-Ray copy. Usually near the release dates Disney offers a 10 coupon for these combo packs and it comes off pretty cheap. I got the Snow White Combo pack for 10 bucks, Up Combo Pack for 10 bucks, and Alice in Wonderland Combo Pack for 15. Granted I don't think it's fair that Destino is being excluded but you can try to make the best out of it.

Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted November 11 2010 - 03:51 AM

I have noriced that releases in Germany and England do not have Destino!

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   alistairKerr

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 11 2010 - 10:22 PM

My Blu-ray double pack of "Fantasia" and "Fantasia 2000" does contain both the "Destino" short - and the "Destino" doc on it! United Kingdom here, by the way! Alistair

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 12:54 AM

Screen captures at DVDbeaver: http://www.dvdbeaver...sia_blu-ray.htm

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   GaryEA

GaryEA

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted November 12 2010 - 06:47 AM

TravisR,

Much obliged for clarifying my point. When I said majority, I was referring to the members of this board. My apologies for any confusion.

KellyVO,

Thank you for your input!. I will definitely buy the combo pack because I'll upgrade to BR at some point in the future. Plus, I don't want to miss out on Destino before it goes back into the "vault"!

And thanks for the tip on the coupons. I will be looking out for them!

Originally Posted by KellyVO 

Quote:

Gary

Gary,

You are not alone. I don't have Blu-Ray either, and I hate how most companies are doing this now but at least Disney does offer Blu-Ray combo packs. This way you can enjoy the DVD and when you do decide to upgrade you already have the Blu-Ray copy. Usually near the release dates Disney offers a 10 coupon for these combo packs and it comes off pretty cheap. I got the Snow White Combo pack for 10 bucks, Up Combo Pack for 10 bucks, and Alice in Wonderland Combo Pack for 15. Granted I don't think it's fair that Destino is being excluded but you can try to make the best out of it.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted November 13 2010 - 03:28 AM

KellyVO,

Thank you for your input!. I will definitely buy the combo pack because I'll upgrade to BR at some point in the future. Plus, I don't want to miss out on Destino before it goes back into the "vault"!

And thanks for the tip on the coupons. I will be looking out for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyVO 

Quote:

Gary

Gary,

Gary,

Here is a link for a 10 Dollars off coupon. It's through the Disney Movie Rewards Program. So you kinda need to join to get the coupon (it's free to join, and it's 10 dollars off) and this coupon requires you to enter a UPC from a VHS, DVD, laserdisc of Fantasia or Fantasia 2000. Here is the link:

http://www.disneymov...antasia-upgrade

Hope that helps!

Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   GaryEA

GaryEA

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted November 13 2010 - 05:43 AM

Thank you Kelly! The discount will take the sting out of what was going to be a very melancholy purchase. :)

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,747 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 13 2010 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for posting the coupon!

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted November 13 2010 - 08:49 AM

No problem! I'm all about saving money! I'm glad Disney offers these coupons for their Blu-Ray combo packs. I just used the coupon for Toy Story 3 last week and the Beauty and the Beast coupon last month!

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow