Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: The Sound of Music 45th Anniversary (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
193 replies to this topic

#1 of 194 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,611 posts

Posted August 30 2010 - 10:15 AM

CELEBRATE THE 45TH ANNIVERSARY OF ONE OF CINEMATIC’S GREATEST TREASURES DIGITALLY RESTORED AND RE-MASTERED IN STUNNING 
BLU-RAY HIGH DEFINITION

Posted Image

Limited Edition Collector’s Set of “Favorite Things” Debuts November 2 
Including an Exclusive Hand Painted Music Box, 100-Page Scrapbook, 
45th Anniversary Soundtrack and More!

Also available in 3-Disc Blu-ray and DVD Combo Packs

LOS ANGELES, CA. (Aug. 30, 2010) – Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment toasts the 45th anniversary of the five-time Academy Award®-winning The Sound Of Music with its highly anticipated Blu-ray Disc debut November 2. Starring Oscar® winner Julie Andrews in one of her most memorable roles, the film adaptation of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s musical follows Maria, a spirited young woman who leaves a convent and becomes a governess to seven unruly children. Her charm and songs soon win the hearts of the children and their father but when Nazi Germany unites with Austria, Maria is forced to attempt a daring escape with her new family.

Meticulously Restored and Re-mastered , The Sound Of Music 45th Anniversary Edition is presented with new 7.1 audio and offers BD-LIVE: Live Lookup  Powered by IMDb®Your Favorite Things: An Interactive Celebration featuring a Sing-A-Long, behind-the-scenes images, trivia and a location quiz; A City of Song with a virtual map of filming locations and interactive tour of the movie’s locale of Salzburg, Austria; vintage programs including a hilarious send-up of The Sound of Music from Carol Burnett and Julie Andrews herself; an enchanting interview with the real Maria von Trapp on The Julie Andrews Hour; and, for the very first time in home entertainment format, a spectacular full-length documentary, Rodgers & Hammerstein: The Sound of American Music, hosted by Mary Martin; and much more.

Perfect for at home or on the go, The Sound of Music is available in 3-Disc Blu-ray and DVD Combo Packs. For a limited time, The Sound of Music is also available in an individually numbered Limited Collector’s Set packaged in a keepsake box and featuring a 100-page “My Favorite Things” scrapbook, a 45th Anniversary Soundtrack, a reproduction of the original 1965 souvenir program, an exclusive hand-painted “My Favorite Things” music box and more.

A perfect holiday gift, the set is priced at $89.99 U.S./ $99.99 Canada. The Blu-ray/DVD combo packs are attractively priced at $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada, allowing fans the best of both viewing and value added options.

The Sound of Music will also be made available day and date for digital download across several EST platforms. The Sound of Music is available on the iTunes Store (www.iTunes.com) as an iTunes Extras, which includes a sing-a-long version of the movie and more than 180 minutes of behind the scenes material.

Directed by Robert Wise and co-starring Christopher Plummer, the film garnered five Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director. A heartwarming story full of cherished songs such as “My Favorite Things,” “Sixteen Going On Seventeen,” “Edelweiss” and the title song, the film graces six different Top 100 lists by the American Film Institute including Musicals, Songs and Movies.

The Sound Of Music 45th Anniversary Limited Edition Collection is just one aspect of Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment’s yearlong campaign to honor the studio’s 75th birthday. This year the division will debut several select fan-favorites on Blu-ray for the first time ever including The Rocky Horror Picture ShowWilliam Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge!, The Last of the Mohicans and the Alien Anthology.

Limited Edition Collector’s Set (Catalog #2267290 – US/#226791 – CAN)
    [*] 2-Disc Blu-ray with all extras as detailed below [*] Standard Definition DVD [*] 45th Anniversary Soundtrack [*] 100-Page “My Favorite Things” scrapbook [*] Snapshots from Salzburg [*] Reproduction of the original 1965 Souvenir program [*] Exclusive “My Favorite Things” Music Box with letter of authenticity
Blu-ray Details: Blu-ray Disc 1:
    [*] Feature Film Remastered in 1080p Hi-Def with 7.1 DTS-HD Sound [*] Your Favorite Things: An Interactive Celebration — All-New Immersive Viewing Experience with Behind-the-Scenes Images, On-Screen Lyrics, Trivia Track and Location Quiz [*] Music Machine Sing-Along [*] Audio Commentaries with Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer and Director Robert Wise
BD-LIVE**: Live Lookup™ Powered by IMDb®

Blu-ray Disc 2:
    [*] Musical Stages: Creating The Sound of Music — All-New Interactive “Backlot Tour” with In-Depth Featurettes on the Songs, the Stage Show & Movie, the Film and Sound Restoration and the Real-Life von Trapp Family [*] A City of Song — Virtual Map of Filming Locations in Salzburg, Austria [*] Vintage Rodgers & Hammerstein and The Sound of Music Programs [*] Screen Tests, Rare Treasures, Interviews, Photo Galleries & More!

DVD Disc:
    [*] Feature Film In Standard Definition
    • Newly Remastered Picture and Sound [*] Optional Sing-Along Track
    [*] Music Machine Sing-Along [*] The Sound of Music Tour – A Living Story

BD/DVD Combo Pack Specs (Catalog #2270176-US/#2267293-CAN):
    [*] BD features all the bonus materials listed above [*] Standard DVD

About Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company. Representing 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc Digital Copy, Video On Demand and Digital Download. The company also releases all products globally for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

Follow Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment on Twitter @FoxHomeEnt

THE SOUND OF MUSIC 45th ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION COLLECTION
Street Date: November 2, 2010
Prebook Date: September 22, 2010
Screen Format: Widescreen (2:20:1)
Audio: English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English 4.0 Dolby Surround, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and French 5.1 DTS
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
U.S. Rating: G
Total Run Time: 178
Closed Closed Yes

Posted Image iNorth America only.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 194 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,077 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 30 2010 - 10:22 AM

Glad to see that Fox is releasing this in a tchotchke-less edition as well. That'll be the version I get.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 194 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted August 30 2010 - 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H 

Glad to see that Fox is releasing this in a tchotchke-less edition as well. That'll be the version I get.

Me too!

#4 of 194 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted August 30 2010 - 10:06 PM

Now is it going to be region free?

#5 of 194 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,223 posts

Posted August 31 2010 - 12:33 AM

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the documentary from the original 5 star DVD isn't included here?

#6 of 194 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,245 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 31 2010 - 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Budgell 

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the documentary from the original 5 star DVD isn't included here?

I hope that. Isn't true. Either I'm still buying it.
facebook.com/whotony

#7 of 194 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,077 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 31 2010 - 04:40 AM

I'm wondering if the original documentary may be included in its entirety in the "interactive backlot tour", or carved up to fill portions of that tour, a la the U-Control version of "Terror Takes Shape" found on The Thing Blu-Ray.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 194 OFFLINE   Brianruns10

Brianruns10

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted August 31 2010 - 05:05 AM

So does anyone know the restoration specs?  Frankly, I wouldn't buy anything less than a resto of the 65mm neg (or separation masters) at 8K.

And on a related note, that boxset has to be the frilliest one I've ever seen!  I'd be embarassed to buy that in a store! :)

#9 of 194 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 31 2010 - 05:47 AM

I wonder if the sound track CD will be any different from the various previous versions released such as the 2 disc 35th anniversary version.

Including a clip from Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall, their first special together, is a neat extra I think the clip is about the Pratt Family Singers, Jullie is the mother, Carol one of the kids. Would prefer of course that the whole program be included. It is in black and white .

#10 of 194 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,611 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 07:55 AM

**EXCLUSIVE**

A ONE-TIME ONLY “OPRAH” SHOW EVENT

“THE OPRAH WINFREY SHOW” REUNITES THE CAST

OF “THE SOUND OF MUSIC” ON OCTOBER 29, 2010

CHICAGO, IL – For the first time in 45 years, the entire cast of “The Sound of Music” will gather for a once-in-a-lifetime reunion on the “Oprah” show stage on Friday, October 29, 2010.  Stars Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, along with fellow cast members Charmian Carr (“Liesl”), Nicholas Hammond (“Friedrich”), Heather Menzies-Urich (“Louisa”), Duane Chase (“Kurt”), Angela Cartwright (“Brigitta”), Debbie Turner (“Marta”) and Kym Karath (“Gretl”) will reunite and reveal the stories behind one of the world’s most beloved movie musicals.  Together for the first time in nearly half a century, the cast shares secrets from the set, reminiscences about their time together and what their lives have been like in the years since the movie was released.  Finally, the von Trapp Children – a singing group featuring members of the real von Trapp family – pay their own special tribute to the film that made their family name known throughout the world.

Considered by many to be the most successful movie musical in history*, “The Sound of Music” took home five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, in 1965.  Its first release lasted over 4 ½ years.  It is shown annually on network television; has been released for home entertainment on VHS, Laser Disc, DVD and has recently been digitally remastered and restored for its high definition Blu-ray Disc debut November 2; unites new fans and old through the amazing SINGALONG SOUND OF MUSIC events nationwide; and the soundtrack CD is one of the best selling soundtracks of all time, having gone Platinum more than 12 times.   Its landmark score includes some of the most beloved songs in the American songbook including “My Favorite Things,” “Edelweiss,” “Climb Ev’ry Mountain,” “Do Re Mi,” “Sixteen Going on Seventeen,” and the title song.

Furthermore, for the first time since 1973, “The Sound of Music” twirls back into theaters nationwide in stunning high definition to commemorate the beloved musical’s 45th anniversary. This special event will be broadcast to nearly 500 select movie theaters for a two-night-only engagement on Tuesday, October 19 and Tuesday, October 26 at 6:30 p.m. local time. The Sound of Music Sing-Along Event includes the sing-along version of the fully restored feature with classic songs that have delighted fans for decades, such as “Do-Re-Mi,” “My Favorite Things,” “The Sound of Music,” “Edelweiss,” and “Climb Ev’ry Mountain.”

Tickets to The Sound of Music Sing-Along Event are available at participating box offices and online at www.FathomEvents.com

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 194 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted September 27 2010 - 01:20 PM

I assume since it is a Fathom Event, the movie theater showing will be similar to the Wizard of Oz event last year. I didn't see it but there were complaints on this board about how the Oz film looked in theaters. While it is true that Oprah will have the first complete reunion, on the 40th anniversary Julie and the children were together again. Christopher Plummer is the only addition. Too bad the didn't get the actor who played Rolf, the boyfriend ( Sixteen going on Seventeen)

#12 of 194 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,063 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 27 2010 - 02:29 PM

I've seen the Sound of Music twice in theatrical runs in the last five years in a sing-a-long format.   This is the first nationwide rollout, but it has been done and booked by Fox.

And let me say, the Sing A Long is a BLAST.    This is great stuff for kids.   I admit, I will probably buy the whole hog, as this is one of a few movies I want most everything possible on Posted Image

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#13 of 194 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 27 2010 - 02:48 PM

I am stoked about the reunion. It was totally the idea I came up with on here!! Awesome!!

#14 of 194 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,318 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 28 2010 - 04:54 AM

Of all the surviving cast members, Eleanor Parker seems to have been the least conspicuous. She retired, and disappeared off the face of the earth, not participating in any of the laserdisc or DVD supplements.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#15 of 194 OFFLINE   WilliamMcK

WilliamMcK

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted September 28 2010 - 06:24 AM

While I don't know how extensive a re-release it was, there was a significant theatrical exhibition of MUSIC around 1990 (probably for it's 25th anniversary).  Maybe it wasn't national, but it garnered a full-page ad in the New York Times and played as a first-run film in a flagship theater in Manhattan (where I saw it three times).  This was well before the sing-a-long nonsense.

Hopefully for its 50th, there will be another open-ended theatrical release... sans sing-a-long.

#16 of 194 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted September 28 2010 - 11:07 AM

I saw the film in 1990 in NY (on the upper east side) it looked good, but if they do a re-release they should go with the 70MM print - that looked even better in it's LA screenings over the past ten years

#17 of 194 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,857 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 28 2010 - 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

I saw the film in 1990 in NY (on the upper east side) it looked good, but if they do a re-release they should go with the 70MM print - that looked even better in it's LA screenings over the past ten years

Unfortunately the release is being handled by NCM (National Cinema Media) and will be a digital download through their equipment, which are the projectors used for the pre-show at certain theatre circuits, not the 2000K projectors that show the feature films.  Warner's did this with The Wizard Of Oz a few years ago and it meet with limited success.  Hopefully the problems have been worked out.  Warner's is also going to try this again with The Exorcist early next month.  If the companies really wanted to do it right they would be send the hard drive or download to a hard drive to the theatres and allow it to be shown only on digital screens (2k up to 4k).  This is what Paramount did for the Grease Sing-A-Long this summer.  We would then get a fairly good idea how the blu-ray will look, because the NCM presentation will not be in that league.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#18 of 194 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,466 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted September 28 2010 - 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

Unfortunately the release is being handled by NCM (National Cinema Media) and will be a digital download through their equipment, which are the projectors used for the pre-show at certain theatre circuits, not the 2000K projectors that show the feature films.  Warner's did this with The Wizard Of Oz a few years ago and it meet with limited success.  Hopefully the problems have been worked out.  Warner's is also going to try this again with The Exorcist early next month.  If the companies really wanted to do it right they would be send the hard drive or download to a hard drive to the theatres and allow it to be shown only on digital screens (2k up to 4k).  This is what Paramount did for the Grease Sing-A-Long this summer.  We would then get a fairly good idea how the blu-ray will look, because the NCM presentation will not be in that league.

If that's what they were to do, I'd be all over this event.  But the way it stands now (unless I hear anything to the contrary) I'll give it a pass.  Sad, because I love this film on the big screen.  The Oprah show should be fun.

#19 of 194 OFFLINE   Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 304 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted September 29 2010 - 02:37 AM

Eleanor Parker was interviewed by Dick Dinman at DVD Classics Corner not too long ago. Via telephone it sounded like.

Originally Posted by MatthewA 

Of all the surviving cast members, Eleanor Parker seems to have been the least conspicuous. She retired, and disappeared off the face of the earth, not participating in any of the laserdisc or DVD supplements.

#20 of 194 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 29 2010 - 03:21 AM

I've always been curious as to how she felt about the success of "The Sound of Music" and the film in general.  Here she was a leading lady from about 1945 through about 1960 making films such as "Between Two Worlds," "Caged," "The Man with the Golden Arm" and "Interrupted Melody" and most people today remember her for a relatively small supporting role in a movie in which Julie Andrews' screen presence made everyone else seem superfluous.  On top of that, she gave an incredibly nuanced performance which was overlooked by the Academy in favor of Peggy Wood's admittedly fine, but far less challenging role.  And when people talk about the film, she's seldom ever mentioned.  Case in point:  the announcement that Julie, Chris and the seven children would be appearing on Oprah was phrased with the words "the entire cast."

I wish she'd talk more about her experiences in making the film, her reaction to its reception and its place in her body of work.  I assume she had a good working relationship with Mr. Wise as they had worked together years before and she came on board at the last minute when other actresses proved unavailable.  But I've never heard her thoughts about the film in general.

I've always felt she was seriously overlooked as an actress and her work in this film deserves better recognition.