Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Event - season 1 thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
281 replies to this topic

#1 of 282 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,593 posts

Posted August 29 2010 - 04:23 AM

The Event...is

aliens.

I'm calling it right now Posted Image

#2 of 282 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 29 2010 - 02:17 PM

Wouldn't shock me. Looks like an ambitious show though, and the NBC promotional campaign has been fantastic.

#3 of 282 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,593 posts

Posted August 29 2010 - 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

Wouldn't shock me. Looks like an ambitious show though, and the NBC promotional campaign has been fantastic.

Definitely.  The promos sold me from minute one.  If they deliver on the promise, I expect a good HTF thread.

#4 of 282 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 29 2010 - 04:15 PM

Who, what, when?  Mainly when.

#5 of 282 ONLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted August 29 2010 - 10:08 PM

Definitely on my 'To be watched' list.

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#6 of 282 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,828 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 12:21 AM

Needing a "Lost" fix?  Maybe "The Event" will fill that void (or not).  Premieres tonight on NBC at 9 p.m. EDT.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#7 of 282 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,593 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 01:11 AM

Awww, here I thought I started the season thread with my prediction: http://www.hometheat...-1-new-nbc-show

Posted Image

#8 of 282 ONLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 05:03 AM

As per Mo Ryan at AOL TV - here are -  10 Things To Know About the Event.

Totally nonspoilery and includes a Twitter id for the mysterious @TruthSeeker5314.

This mysterious person will be tweeting out tidbits of info as the show airs.

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#9 of 282 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,244 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 09:56 AM

I already have the show scheduled to tape on my Tivo.

However, with me going out of town for a week it will

be that long until I have the chance to watch it.

...the show looks highly promising, though.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#10 of 282 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,169 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 20 2010 - 02:05 PM

Since pilots aren't always the best showcase for where a series will go, I'm willing to give the show some slack (primarily because I dig a number of the actors on the show) but, so far, The Event is 24 with a twist of Lost, far fewer surprises and a huge number of commercials.

#11 of 282 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted September 20 2010 - 02:17 PM

That was badass.

#12 of 282 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,037 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 20 2010 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, they've got me at least until next week.

Although that was some sorry-ass Secret Service protection. Godzilla could have been rising up out of the water, they'd've had that door shut and that car moving. And even when everything was clear, the President would've been moved the hell out of there.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#13 of 282 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted September 20 2010 - 02:23 PM

I had to suspend disbelief there as well, but they wanted to punctuate "the event". I'll give it to them.

#14 of 282 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,169 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 02:32 PM

Maybe their lack of movement was due to the event (or I'm assuming that the 'hole' that the plane went into was the event anyway).

#15 of 282 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,037 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 20 2010 - 02:48 PM

According to interviews, the plane crash (or rather, the aborted plane crash) isn't "the event" proper -- apparently we won't know what it is exactly for at least a few more episodes. It's definitely tied into it somehow, it would seem.

A lot still needs to be established about past events (why exactly was the girl's family targeted, and how did the son-in-law know what was about to happen on the plane?). Next week, I imagine we'll be finding out more.

Still, I'm down for at least the short-term on this one, as long as it doesn't turn into another FlashForward.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#16 of 282 OFFLINE   Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 03:00 PM

I liked it.  It wasn't perfect, but had more than enough promise to be worth keeping an eye on.

#17 of 282 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 20 2010 - 03:05 PM

I hope they abandon the Rashômon-esque device for future episodes. The pleasure gained from the reveals was far outweighed by the tedium of seeing the same scene over and over again. Otherwise, I liked it a lot. Interestingly, the subtitles use the same font as NBC's summer conspiracy mystery, Persons Unknown.

#18 of 282 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,593 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

I hope they abandon the Rashômon-esque device for future episodes. The pleasure gained from the reveals was far outweighed by the tedium of seeing the same scene over and over again. Otherwise, I liked it a lot. Interestingly, the subtitles use the same font as NBC's summer conspiracy mystery, Persons Unknown.

I doubt they will.  George R R Martin uses the device to great success in his Song of Ice and Fire series, and I can see it being of great use on The Event--the title cards might disappear, however (though I liked them).

My only concern is with the timeline, and how the scenes are jumping around.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very interesting story-telling device, but I can already see people complaining, to the detriment of the ratings.  Honestly, I've pretty much lost all faith in the TV-viewing audience--at least the ones who are tracked for ratings

I'm hooked, however.  Much better than Persons Unknown (wow, what a craptastic show that was...).

#19 of 282 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,020 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 21 2010 - 12:16 AM

I'm out.  I know this may work for some, but the constant changing of time is one of those things that is just too tedious for me.  I realize people say "it's Lost-esque". ... go back and watch the Lost pilot, which did not have a ton of time flashes, and definitely not this jumble.  This just never at any point seemed cohesive at all.

*shrug*   Maybe I'll catch up at the end of the season if it catches on.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#20 of 282 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,169 posts

Posted September 21 2010 - 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

I know this may work for some, but the constant changing of time is one of those things that is just too tedious for me.  I realize people say "it's Lost-esque". ... go back and watch the Lost pilot, which did not have a ton of time flashes, and definitely not this jumble.  This just never at any point seemed cohesive at all.

Yeah, the flashbacks on Lost were about 5 scenes of the entire episode and they were almost always in chronological order because they wanted to inform you about the character. This show seems more concerned with trying to be clever by tying one character's flashback into another's flashback. Like I said earlier, pilots are rarely the best episodes of a show so I'm willing to stick with this for a while longer especially since I've got nothing else to watch on Monday night this year.