-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

BVHE Press Release: The Black Cauldron 25th Anniversary Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,332 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 10:25 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Disney’s The Black Cauldron: 25th Anniversary Special Edition

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

DVD FACT SHEET

The Black Cauldron, Walt Disney Pictures’ 25th animated feature-length film, celebrates its 25th anniversary with a Special Edition DVD release September 14 from Walt Disney Home Entertainment.  Based on Lloyd Alexander’s Chronicles of Prydain books, this mystical, action-packed adventure debuts just in time for Halloween. The film tells the story of Taran, an apprentice pig keeper with dreams of becoming a great warrior, who embarks on a quest to find a magical and powerful Black Cauldron before the evil tyrant Horned King can possess it for his own diabolical purposes.  Fantastical characters like the oracular pig Hen Wen, the willful princess Eilonwy, and the droll but annoying Gurgi face witches, elves, magic swords and other obstacles.  As they journey through these thrilling escapades, Taran begins to learn the true meaning of what it is to be a hero.
Exciting new bonus features for The Black Cauldron: 25th Anniversary Special Edition include a new game and a never-before-seen deleted scene as well as a new digital transfer.

New Bonus Features Include:

• Deleted Scene—The Fairfolk: Viewers join Taran, Fflewddur Fflam, Gurgi and Princess Eilonwy as they travel into the depths of the earth and meet the Fairfolk.
  • The Witches’ Challenge Game—In order to defeat the dark powers of the Horned King, players must gain possession the magical sword from the Witches of Morva by solving their riddles. 
  • Plus Classic DVD Bonus Features:

• Still Frame Gallery—A compilation of behind-the-scenes artwork and photos.
  • Quest For the Black Cauldron—A trivia game in which players compete against the evil Horned King in a race to reach the Black Cauldron first.
  • Trick Or Treat—Classic Donald Duck cartoon from 1952.

• STREET DATE:   September 14, 2010

Rated:  PG
    Run Time: Approx. 80 minutes
    Video: Widescreen (1.78 Aspect Ratio) Audio: Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
    DVD Subtitles:  English, Spanish, French            
    SRP: 1-Disc DVD $19.99     

Ronald J Epstein
    Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 19 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,463 posts
    • LocationDFW

Posted August 27 2010 - 11:18 AM

No blu-ray,  no sale.

#3 of 19 SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 11:47 AM

Video: Widescreen (1.78 Aspect Ratio)

Huh?  The Black Cauldron was a 2.35 movie.  Are they cropping it?

#4 of 19 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 12:47 PM

Better not.  If they do, then no sale for me.  Part of me says, no way would they do that, it's a mistake--the other part says "Disney family-friendly widescreen" or some such nonsense wouldn't be past them.  They still didn't get Beauty & the Beast in the right ratio the last time, so I didn't buy that (I'll stick with my older DVD until they do it right).  If it is in the correct ratio, then I'm in.  I think it's the only non-anamorphic one that hasn't been re-released, right?

Originally Posted by SD_Brian 

Huh?  The Black Cauldron was a 2.35 movie.  Are they cropping it?

#5 of 19 SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 01:15 PM

The picture quality on the original disc was non-anamorphic and really pretty shoddy considering the expense the studio went through to film it in 70mm but The Black Cauldron has always been one of Disney's bastard-stepchild movies, probably filed right next to Song of the South in their vault, so a cropped version would not surprise me.

Here's hoping they finally show it some love and do the release right.  All the same, I will wait for the Blu-Ray before I consider upgrading.

#6 of 19 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,652 posts
    • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 27 2010 - 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill 

No blu-ray,  no sale.

Ditto.  I've watched my existed DVD once since I got it years ago.  I can wait for Disney to get their act in gear.

#7 of 19 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,427 posts

Posted August 28 2010 - 01:17 PM

That's the only deleted scene they could find? What about the Horned King's henchmen being killed by the undead army? A picture of one cel from that sequence has been floating around the net for years.

Would it be so hard to have interviews with some of the people who worked on the film?

#8 of 19 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted August 28 2010 - 03:28 PM

I don't understand why Disney isn't releasing this on Blu-ray after announcing that all their classic animated features would be issued in both formats. They got off to a good start with Snow White  and Pinocchio  in dual DVD / Blu-ray editions. Fantasia  is coming in December in a dual edition. So why not The Black Cauldron, and why not supplements? The person or persons who makes these decisions at Disney is too insulated from the rest of the world.

#9 of 19 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,201 posts
    • LocationCamas, WA

Posted August 28 2010 - 03:46 PM

While I wouldn't mind an improvement on that abysmal letterboxed 1st DVD release, I think I'll save my money and buy the new blu-rays of Beauty and the Beast and Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 instead. I can see no reason for bringing out another DVD-only release of the film at this time, and if it's cropped too? - that's just pathetic.

Originally Posted by WadeM 

They still didn't get Beauty & the Beast in the right ratio the last time, so I didn't buy that (I'll stick with my older DVD until they do it right).  

You mean you'll stick with your Laserdisc, right? Because there's only been one DVD release and it was 1.85:1 The only uncropped B&TB was the CAV Laserdisc which was the original CAPS ratio of 1.66:1 The press release for the blu-ray claims it will be 1.78:1 - better, but I'd still prefer the full animation frame.

#10 of 19 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted August 29 2010 - 11:52 AM

No, I meant DVD.  Since the upcoming release of Beauty & the Beast is also incorrect (so that one day they can brag about a new release being in the correct ratio to get people to buy it again--oops, nope, it'll be download by then), I'm not going to spend money on it. It would just be trading one goof up for another.  I can live with what I currently have.  If they truely did this upcoming release right, then I'd consider spending my money on it.

I said "last time" because I didn't realize that the new Beauty & the Beast  hadn't been released yet.  Since I'm not buying it, I wasn't paying attention to the release date and it seems like a really long time ago when it was first announced.

Originally Posted by Mark-P 

You mean you'll stick with your Laserdisc, right? Because there's only been one DVD release and it was 1.85:1 The only uncropped B&TB was the CAV Laserdisc which was the original CAPS ratio of 1.66:1 The press release for the blu-ray claims it will be 1.78:1 - better, but I'd still prefer the full animation frame.

#11 of 19 Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted August 29 2010 - 01:46 PM

B&TB was animated with the intention of being matted to 1.85:1. I see no reason why an open matte 1.66:1 would be the proper way to see it over 1.85:1 provided it is matted properly as far as top to bottom image area goes.

#12 of 19 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted August 29 2010 - 10:09 PM

The filmmakers preferred the 1.85:1 version of Beauty and the Beast, and specifically asked for this for the DVD version. The rest of the CAPS movies, apart from Hunchback (which was done by the same directors) are all in the 1.66:1 ratio on DVD.

1.78:1 is only a slight difference, and an almost perfect compromise between 1.66:1 and 1.85:1, so the new ratio is fine with me.

However, none of this really matters to The Black Cauldron, which, according to UltimateDisney, isn't cropped at all. The complete lack of extras is a disappointment, but somehow Disney treats their 70's and 80's movies (apart from The Little Mermaid) like crap.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#13 of 19 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted August 31 2010 - 09:48 AM

I also wish they'd include the aforementioned "Cauldron-born" deleted scene as well.  Actually it'd be great if they were to release the full uncut version (along with the theatrical cut seamlessly branched, of course), as I believe most of the missing shots were fully animated and scored.  I can't imagine that they'd still be worried about releasing that under the Disney brand after three Pirates of the Caribbean movies and Prince of Persia (especially since it was young teens that they were targeting with Black Cauldron in the first place).

But it will be nice to get a new, anamorphic transfer (provided it's in the right ratio).  And although some more supplements would have been nice, this film has never been high on Disney's priority list, so we're probably lucky it's being re-released at all (of course, a Blu-Ray would be nice, too).

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#14 of 19 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted August 31 2010 - 11:39 AM

It would be nice if Disney actually supported Blu ray.

#15 of 19 Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted August 31 2010 - 06:15 PM

Really? Weren't they the first ones to include DVD and Blu discs together to help people embrace the format without worrying about the new format by including a DVD edition? And then other companies started doing the same thing. And haven't they been releasing 2-3 animated features on Blu each year for a few years now. To say they don't support Blu-Ray is pretty ridiculous. Just because they aren't rushing to put their C-grade animated features or other films you might personally want to Blu doesn't mean they don't support the format.

Originally Posted by Bradley-E 

It would be nice if Disney actually supported Blu ray.

#16 of 19 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,701 posts
    • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 01 2010 - 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Pennington 

To say they don't support Blu-Ray is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, I think you could make a pretty good argument that Disney is the studio that has been the most supportive of Blu-ray.

#17 of 19 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted September 01 2010 - 04:23 AM

In terms of quality, yes, but in terms of quantity? Not so much. Several classic Disney movies that have been re-released on DVD, should have been released on Blu-ray as well. Mary Poppins, for instance. Titles like The Black Cauldron and The Great Mouse Detective would have been great as well, since it will probably be several years before Disney gives those another edition.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#18 of 19 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted September 01 2010 - 08:32 AM

I could have sworn it was shown a few years ago otherwise, and as a result I had it stuck in the back of my mind that it should be 1.66.  But I know you're on top of these things Chuck, and I usually appreciate the trouble you go through to show what Disney does or doesn't do right, so I will certainly take your word for it and say that I am wrong.  I was just going off of my memory on that one instead of taking the time to look again for myself--my bad.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.  I'll now consider getting the upcoming blu-ray  :)

B&TB was animated with the intention of being matted to 1.85:1. I see no reason why an open matte 1.66:1 would be the proper way to see it over 1.85:1 provided it is matted properly as far as top to bottom image area goes.

Originally Posted by Brian Borst 

The filmmakers preferred the 1.85:1 version of Beauty and the Beast, and specifically asked for this for the DVD version. The rest of the CAPS movies, apart from Hunchback (which was done by the same directors) are all in the 1.66:1 ratio on DVD.

1.78:1 is only a slight difference, and an almost perfect compromise between 1.66:1 and 1.85:1, so the new ratio is fine with me.

However, none of this really matters to The Black Cauldron, which, according to UltimateDisney, isn't cropped at all. The complete lack of extras is a disappointment, but somehow Disney treats their 70's and 80's movies (apart from The Little Mermaid) like crap.

#19 of 19 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted September 01 2010 - 12:22 PM

Really? Weren't they the first ones to include DVD and Blu discs together to help people embrace the format without worrying about the new format by including a DVD edition? And then other companies started doing the same thing. And haven't they been releasing 2-3 animated features on Blu each year for a few years now. To say they don't support Blu-Ray is pretty ridiculous. Just because they aren't rushing to put their C-grade animated features or other films you might personally want to Blu doesn't mean they don't support the format.

Where's Mary Poppins, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Black Cauldron, O Brother Where art Thou, Ransom, Good Morning Vietnam, Ruthless People, Under the Tuscan Sun, The Alamo, Summer of Sam, He Got Game, Open Range,  The Color of Money, Arachnophobia, Dick Tracy, Dead Poets Society, The Rocketeer, Freaky Friday, Dead Presidents, The Parent Trap, Swiss Family Robinson, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Insider, Sister Act, Sweet Home Alabama, The Village, Princess Dairies 1 & 2, 101 Dalmatians (live action(), Hocus Pocus, Down & Out in Beverly Hills, Dangerous Minds, Mystery Alaska, Mr Holland's Opus, Evita, While You Were SLeeping, The Santa Clause, Father of the Bride 1 & 2, Ed Wood, High Fidelity, Shanghai Noon, Shanghai Knights and the MANY MANY more including Miramax films they ignored. 

Take away the Pixar and what classics thet have released so far (I had to buy the Mexico Dumbo), they have been really lazy in releasing titles.

It seems like all we get from Disney is direct to DVD/BD Tinkerbell titles and crappy High School Musical, Hannah Montana junk.  They have hardly made a dent in the library they control.

To me, they are the worst in regards to releasing Blu ray titles.