Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM Press Release: Robocop Trilogy (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,745 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 10:20 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

Directors Paul Verhoeven (Totall Recall, Basic Instinct) of ROBOCOP and ROBOCOP 2 and Fred Dekker (Monster Squad Forever, Nighs of the Creeps) of ROBOCOP 3

What, no one over at the PR department hear about Irvin Kershner "of Robocop 2"? He also directed an obscure Sci-Fi film called The Empire Strikes Back, if I recall :-) And since when is "Total" spelled with two l's?

Anyway, glad to see the sequels hit BD.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 07:49 PM

[quote]Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein [url=/forum/thread/303453/mgm-press-release-robocop-trilogy-blu-ray#post_3723869]

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted August 29 2010 - 08:26 AM

I can't help but wonder if there were any kind of cut scenes or missing footage from the sequels and if we're ever gonna see 'em. I enjoyed Robocop 2 quite a bit and liked the third one enough to re-buy this yet again but, in a perfect world, they would come in Ultimate Editions with director and cast involvement and definitive Director's Cuts (if applicable) of all three films. I guess we can't really ask for much from MGM given their financial problems but, boy, is this a missed opportunity. Anyone with me?
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,062 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 30 2010 - 05:03 AM

Is the first film's disc going to be the same famously poor-quality version that was previously released?
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted August 30 2010 - 07:00 AM

If I remember correctly, the famously bad Robocop Blu-ray never actually got released.  A better-but-still-not-great version eventually hit the shelves, though:  http://bluray.highde...obocop_fox.html

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,062 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 30 2010 - 09:05 AM

Wow, I stopped paying attention after reading the original reviews.  Doesn't sound like the version that came out was any great shakes either.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 477 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 30 2010 - 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

Wow, I stopped paying attention after reading the original reviews.  Doesn't sound like the version that came out was any great shakes either.

The ridiculous thing is that the unreleased original BD had most of the extras of the DVD SE, but the new BD released a year later had none!

I was really hoping that MGM would at least port the extras over for this Trilogy set (and maybe throw in a couple of trailers for 2 & 3), but it looks like we're stuck with the same old dated release. No sale.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,005 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted October 03 2010 - 07:17 PM

It's difficult to make out on the back cover scan at DVD Empire (use the Zoom feature on your browser, but it just gets blurry), but it looks like the first movie is on a 25GB disc whereas the sequels are on 50GB discs.  That might be a clue that it's still the original release just included in this set.

http://cdn3a.dvdempi...6/1544456bh.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users