What's new

Enjoying Virginian on Encore? (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Just curious if people have been watching and enjoying The Virginian playing on Encore right now. Mostly, interested if viewers think the later seasons are better, worse, or on par with the earlier seasons. Especially with the cast changes over time.

I picked up season 1 and half season 2 when I could from Sam's when they were first released, and have only watched the first episode so far (I like to get an initial feel for a new purchase). But I just have too many other things I'm watching to get back to it anytime soon. My interest relates to the fact that I have been capturing the remaining episodes on my computer. So I'm now up through half of season 6 with potentially 3.5 seasons to go. As you can imagine this is starting to consume some disk space.

So I'm curious to find out opinions from others. I'm just not sure if I should keep capturing or stop until I have time to evaluate what I have already captured. Who knows when the entire run will be done again in complete form. I'm also surprised a bit that it looks like Encore might be running the whole series. Anyone know for sure if Encore has all seasons through 9 to show?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm enjoying The Virginian on DVD. There's just no way it looks as good on Encore as it does on these Timeless releases (and let's not even talk about how 60's shows look on RTN).

I'm almost through the first season and amazed at how well it holds up as basically a Western movie each week, with A-list actors like Bette Davis, Robert Duval, Lee Marvin, etc. And one episode even directed by Sam Fuller.

They actually shot on location much of the time and not some fake-looking indoor-for-outdoor main set like the Ponderosa on Bonanza.

The consistency of quality of the scripts has been well above average; some exceptional. There have been action episodes, comedic spins, courtroom dramas and suspense set pieces all within the western genre. I think producer Roy Huggins takes over a few episodes in and opens things up a bit. And the episode "West" says it all for me about how exceptional this show could be when everything (script, actors, directing) comes together.

Overall, a total treat for western lovers and it couldn't look better on DVD. Kudos to Timeless for this one, and I hope they continue the season releases.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic

I'm enjoying The Virginian on DVD. There's just no way it looks as good on Encore as it does on these Timeless releases (and let's not even talk about how 60's shows look on RTN).

I'm almost through the first season and amazed at how well it holds up as basically a Western movie each week, with A-list actors like Bette Davis, Robert Duval, Lee Marvin, etc. And one episode even directed by Sam Fuller.

They actually shot on location much of the time and not some fake-looking indoor-for-outdoor main set like the Ponderosa on Bonanza.

The consistency of quality of the scripts has been well above average; some exceptional. There have been action episodes, comedic spins, courtroom dramas and suspense set pieces all within the western genre. I think producer Roy Huggins takes over a few episodes in and opens things up a bit. And the episode "West" says it all for me about how exceptional this show could be when everything (script, actors, directing) comes together.

Overall, a total treat for western lovers and it couldn't look better on DVD. Kudos to Timeless for this one, and I hope they continue the season releases.

Have you seen it on Encore yet? You might be surprised. In the end, I think the prints are just in good shape all around which is why it looks so good as a release from Timeless. Encore is my favorite to capture from, then THIS, with RTN a last resort.

Thanks for the feedback, I might just keep going along with my captures for now. As long as I don't take the time to burn to DVD I can wait and see what Timeless does as far as future releases goes. As good as these look now from Encore, I agree it is always nicer to have formal DVD releases.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Originally Posted by Statskeeper

Encore will show seasons 1-8 but Timeless has plans to release all 9 seasons.

Did you hear something formally or are you speculating about future plans?

I recall earlier reading a post where someone said Timeless had no intentions of going any further. In fact, season 2 doesn't appear to be all that easy to find other then Sam's and the Timless website (maybe it has been a test). If Timeless plans on releasing more seasons I will just hold-on to my captured one's as a "just in-case" measure. Where did you hear this?

So Encore either doesn't have or is deciding not to show the last season with Lee Major's. In either case, I wonder why that last season.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
It's something I saw on a show website. Perhaps it's that Timeless has the right to release all 9 seasons. I really wanted to see the Men from Shilo 9th season myself so I'm kind of disappointed that Encore won't be showing it.

mustang

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
patrick
The First 4 Seasons With Lee j Cobb Are Definitely The Best, After That The Shows Become Hit And Miss But Mostly Hit The Writers Seem To Lose Their Way For a While When One Of The Stars Went Out Of The Show ie Cobb And Bickford.Tomorrow They Are Starting Series 9 So It Will Be Interesting To See How Stewart Granger And Lee Majors Go.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
These are the episodes airring in September with "notabible" guest stars

September 1st 

4:30pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E171) THE CROOKED PATH - gs Tom Skerritt

September 3rd

4:30pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E173) THE HANDY MAN - gs: Tim Simcox, Jeanette Nolan, sgs: Mel Tormé

September 8th

4:30 pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E176) SADDLE WARMER (David Hartman first episode as a regular) gs: Ralph Bellamy, Chris Robinson, Quentin Dean, Tom Skerrit

September 10th

4:30 pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E178) THE ORCHARD gs: Burgess Meredith, William Windom, Brandon de Wilde, Ben Murphy

September 13th

4:30 pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E179) A VISION OF BLINDNESS gs: John Saxon, Ben Johnson

September 20th

4:30 pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E185) THE DARK CORRIDOR gs: Judith Lang, John Smith, Paul Winchell

September 22th

4:30 pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E187) NORA gs: Anne Baxter, Hugh Beaumont, Tim McIntire

September 30th

4:30 pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E193) .THE PRICE OF LOVE Peter Deuel, James Gregory

Has it been confirmed that Season 9/ MEN FROM SHILO won't be running?

mustang

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
patrick

Originally Posted by DeWilson

These are the episodes airring in September with "notabible" guest stars

September 1st 

4:30pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E171) THE CROOKED PATH - gs Tom Skerritt

September 3rd

4:30pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E173) THE HANDY MAN - gs: Tim Simcox, Jeanette Nolan, sgs: Mel Tormé

September 8th

4:30 pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E176) SADDLE WARMER (David Hartman first episode as a regular) gs: Ralph Bellamy, Chris Robinson, Quentin Dean, Tom Skerrit

September 10th

4:30 pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E178) THE ORCHARD gs: Burgess Meredith, William Windom, Brandon de Wilde, Ben Murphy

September 13th

4:30 pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E179) A VISION OF BLINDNESS gs: John Saxon, Ben Johnson

September 20th

4:30 pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E185) THE DARK CORRIDOR gs: Judith Lang, John Smith, Paul Winchell

September 22th

4:30 pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E187) NORA gs: Anne Baxter, Hugh Beaumont, Tim McIntire

September 30th

4:30 pm WESTERNS - THE VIRGINIAN (E193) .THE PRICE OF LOVE Peter Deuel, James Gregory

Has it been confirmed that Season 9/ MEN FROM SHILO won't be running?

I Am Surprised They Are Not Showing Season 9 Over There At The Start Of Season 9 It Says The Virginian aka The Men From Shilo The Music Theme Is Not As Good As Previous Episodes And Going By Your List They Arent Even Showing It In Origional Release Order.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
This list is only some of the episodes airring in September, the ones with well known guest starts - the other episodes are just run-of-the-mill regular episodes. :) Every episode between 171 and 193 is airrining,running in production order, not NBC order.

FP62

Grip
Real Name
Frank P. Nolan
I, too, am disappointed that "The Men from Shiloh" is not a part of the Encore package. Looks like the second cycle will start around the middle of November, then. BTW, I've never seen TMFS, but I understand that there was a bit of a format change. Can anyone explain how the series differed from "The Virginian"?

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
I haven't been able to find anything on Encore's website to suggest that The Men From Shiloh won't be aired. Brad, it is Timeless' intention to release all nine seasons (sales permitting). Patrick and Denny; so far, the episodes have been aired following the original airdate sequence, with one omission. The episode numbers listed online correspond to the production sequence. Frank, the family element was eliminated, i.e. no more Graingers. With the addition of Stewart Granger and Lee Majors to the cast, it became more of a western Name of the Game with (mainly) self-contained episodes featuring the four individual stars. It wasn't bad, but it certainly changed the complexion of the show quite a bit. BTW, thanks for being the first to spell Shiloh correctly .

FP62

Grip
Real Name
Frank P. Nolan
I don't understand why NBC cancelled TMFS in '71. It was winning its time slot and was in 18th place overall for the season. I remember how demo-conscious the networks were becoming at the time. Did the show skew too old? Or was it just becoming too expensive? Anyway, I hope Encore does air these episodes after all. My curiosity about them has really been piqued.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Frank, that's it exactly: increasingly expensive to make, plus too old and too rural an audience. It's amazing to think about some of the "relevant" sh*t that followed in the 70's. Chasing youth meant programming crap, all too often. Denny, Requiem for a Country Doctor (o.a.d. 1/25/67) was skipped.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Originally Posted by ToddR2

Denny, Requiem for a Country Doctor (o.a.d. 1/25/67) was skipped.

Hmmm...according to my capture list they aired that one. I will have to go home tonight and pull it up to see what was actually captured.

Yes, "Requiem for a Country Doctor" did air and I have it on my DVR, but I think Encore or Direct TV had it listed as "Doctor Pat".

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Originally Posted by Richard Villafana

Yes, "Requiem for a Country Doctor" did air and I have it on my DVR, but I think Encore or Direct TV had it listed as "Doctor Pat".

I do remember that now that you mention it. I recall being confused and watching the beginning to get the correct title. Thanks for clearing that up.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
I haven't caught up with my taping, so I've not seen that Requiem was substituted for Dr. Pat. So, Doctor Pat was the one skipped? I'll check tonight.

FP62

Grip
Real Name
Frank P. Nolan
"Requiem..." and "Doctor Pat" are two separate episodes. As was stated earlier, "Requiem..." did originally air on 1/25/67. "Doctor Pat" first aired more than a month later on 3/1/67.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks