What's new

Need Help with Home Theater design in Weston, FL (1 Viewer)

qfaison

Auditioning
Real Name
Quincy Faison
I would like to convert my garage to a Home theater system and looking for some one in the south florida area to help with design and contstruction. Please reply to this post if you are in the area and would like to bid on this project

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Hi, Quincy, and welcome to the HTF.

This question is really more suited to our HT projects section than to the beginners forum, so I'm going to move it there. I'll leave a link redirecting folks to the new locations. The "beginners" forum is really more geared towards people just getting into the hobby and who have questions about HT concepts, components and connections. The projects section is for people building dedicated HT rooms in their homes, basements or garages, and is the place for advice on design, construction techniques, materials and specialty items like theater seating, signs and the like.

Regards,

Joe

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I suspect you'll find that most people here are the DIY type. Hiring someone else to do it would just ruin the fun! You can certainly hire some subs to do parts of the work, but your satisfaction will be much higher the more you get into the process.

Converting a garage you have two stages to consider;

1) You have to pull that space into your living area. Depending on city code it may be more or less simple. Ideally you could just pull the garage door and hire a handy man to frame and finish the space. In Florida it is certain that you will need to pipe in some AC. A wall unit would be too noisy so you will have to check with an AC contractor to see that your existing unit can handle the extra square feet. You will then need to 'polish' the room; patch and paint the walls and ceiling, put in carpet and trim, and likely remove/add some cabinets. I personally have found cabinets at home improvement stores that are easy and sorta fun to install. You may want to do some pre-wiring during the polishing stage.

2) Put in the theater. This is the exciting part - because you are almost done. Depending on the complexity of your system depends on how long this will take. Are you going to have one or two rows of seats? Front projection or plasma? What sort of sound management will you need? All this will need to be thought out and properly arranged. It sounds tedious but is really quite fun. It also is very easily changed in the future - which you will likely want to do as time goes by.

The best part of doing it yourself is that when something mucks up - you will know exactly what to do to fix it. You will also learn to observe details that would otherwise go unnoticed had you let someone else have all the fun. It is really not all that hard, so unless you have a situation or condition that would predicate this I would suggest you consider taking this project on. You won't be alone - you have the whole HTF here to support you - and believe me - you will get plenty of support - we LOVE this and helping online is almost as fun as being there.

simong19

Auditioning
Real Name
michel ron
This is good to know that you are converting your garage to your new home theater. Now i like to ask you that have you planned any home theater seating arrangement ? I think this is most important and considerable point when you are planning for new home theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks