Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Looney Tunes Super Stars Foghorn & Tweety


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

    Studio Mogul

  • 38,855 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 03 1997

Posted August 26 2010 - 11:45 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/


Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

 

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations


#2 of 65 David Rain

David Rain

    Screenwriter

  • 1,086 posts
  • Join Date: May 07 2005

Posted August 26 2010 - 07:14 PM

Let me guess. Double Dipping ?

 

And what's with this "& Friends" title on Foghorn's DVD ? Does that mean they aren't all Foghorn shorts ? There are more than enough Foghorn titles to fill an entire set on their own.


Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

 


#3 of 65 LeoA

LeoA

    Supporting Actor

  • 817 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 2008
  • Real Name:Leo
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted August 26 2010 - 08:02 PM

I assume the "& Friends" tag is just referancing the baby chicken hawk and the dog in those cartoons.

 

Wonder where they got the 913 million Looney Tunes DVD's shipped to date from? If they're closing in on a billion Looney Tunes DVD sales, why the heck are they just trickling out? Spend a penny for each of those DVD's sold (Over 9 million dollars) and I imagine you'd of had more then enough to fund the full restoration cost and development cost for every last remaining Looney Tunes cartoon for DVD release.

 

That must be some fancy math they use over at Warner.



#4 of 65 Jack P

Jack P

    Screenwriter

  • 2,922 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2006

Posted August 26 2010 - 08:38 PM

After getting the rude shock of the fake widescreen debacle in the Bugs and Daffy releases, I won't be buying anymore WB discs until they get it right.



#5 of 65 Brent S

Brent S

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 236 posts
  • Join Date: May 25 2006

Posted August 27 2010 - 12:32 AM

 

Originally Posted by LeoAmes 
I assume the "& Friends" tag is just referancing the baby chicken hawk and the dog in those cartoons.

 


List of cartoons, posted at TVShowsonDVD.  The "friends" are a handful of toons with Elmer Fudd, Goofy Gophers, The Honeymousers, and the Two Crows.



#6 of 65 Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

    Screenwriter

  • 1,374 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 11 2001

Posted August 27 2010 - 01:28 AM


 

Originally Posted by David Rain 

Let me guess. Double Dipping ?

 

 


It certainly appears so. Note how it says Never-before-on-DVD on the Foghorn disc, yet the Tweety disc only mentions "Timeless Favorites". And going by the list on tvshowsondvd.com, I already noticed several titles that have already been released as part of the Golden Collections (e.g. ALL A-BIRRRRD, CANARY ROW or PUDDY TAT TROUBLE). I still purchased the recent Bugs and Duffy discs... but now I'm officially out!



#7 of 65 Brent S

Brent S

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 236 posts
  • Join Date: May 25 2006

Posted August 27 2010 - 02:11 AM

 

Originally Posted by Christian Preischl 
Note how it says Never-before-on-DVD on the Foghorn disc, yet the Tweety disc only mentions "Timeless Favorites". And going by the list on tvshowsondvd.com, I already noticed several titles that have already been released as part of the Golden Collections.


Two weeks ago on "Stu's Show" @ shokusradio.com, Jerry Beck announced that the Sylvester & Tweety disc would recycle Golden Collection content.  The Foghorn disc would be new-to-DVD material (although 1 double-dip is listed).  I understood him to say that future, general retail releases would follow a similar strategy.

 

Jerry was quite clear... the future of collector-interest Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies was shifting to the Warner Archive.



#8 of 65 ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 502 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted August 27 2010 - 04:21 AM

This is why I hated to see the Golden Collections end. Look at what we are getting in place of them.

 

I am not double dipping. Period.


#9 of 65 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

    Screenwriter

  • 2,002 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 04 2005
  • Real Name:Joe

Posted August 27 2010 - 04:38 AM

I'm confused about you guys talking about "double dipping."  The ad says these have never been released to DVD before.  Is that not true?



#10 of 65 Joe*A

Joe*A

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 186 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 04 2006

Posted August 27 2010 - 05:28 AM

Here's the complete list based on what's been posted on tvshowsondvd.com:

 

 

All Fowled Up (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Fox Terrier (Foghorn) – New to DVD but incorrect title; it’s called “Fox Terror”

A Broken Leghorn (Foghorn) – already released on Golden Collection Vol. 1

Crockett Doodle Doo (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Weasel While You Work (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Weasel Stop (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Little Boy Boo (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Banty Raids (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Strangled Eggs (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Gopher Broke (Goofy Gophers) New to DVD

A Mutt In A Rut (Elmer Fudd) New to DVD

Mouse-Placed Kitten (Misc.) New to DVD

Cheese It The Cat (The Honey Mousers) New to DVD

Two Crows From Tacos (Two Crows) New to DVD

Crow's Feet (Elmer Fudd) New to DVD but title mis-spelled; it’s “Crow’s Feat”

 

 

TWEETY PIE - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

BAD OL' PUTTY TAT  - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

ALL A-BIRRRRD - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

CANARY ROW - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 1

PUDDY TAT TWOUBLE - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 1. Title incorrect “Putty Tat Trouble”

ROOM AND BIRD - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

TWEETY'S S.O.S. - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 1

TWEET TWEET TWEETY - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

GIFT WRAPPED - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

AIN'T SHE TWEET  - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

SNOW BUSINESS - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

SATAN'S WAITIN - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 6

THE LAST HUNGRY CAT - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 3

BIRDS ANONYMOUS  - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 3

TWEETY AND THE BEANSTALK - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 5

 

Notice that only 1 short is a duplicate in the Foghorn Leghorn disc and ALL have been released before for the Tweety and Sylvester disc. What a joke!!!

 

And I ask WB - why did you guys discontinue the Golden Collection? It was too good of a product to continue? Why give the consumer what they want? I don't get you guys.....

 

Signed,

"Frustrated"


#11 of 65 ChrisALM

ChrisALM

    Supporting Actor

  • 502 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2009

Posted August 27 2010 - 05:33 AM



Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff 

I'm confused about you guys talking about "double dipping."  The ad says these have never been released to DVD before.  Is that not true?



The ad only says "never before on DVD" for the Foghorn Leghorn set. The other set simply says "15 timeless favorites".



#12 of 65 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

    Producer

  • 6,065 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 20 2001
  • Real Name:Kenneth McAlinden
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 27 2010 - 06:15 AM

The conspicuous absence of any cartoons made prior to 1954 on the Foghorn Leghorn set suggests that it is exclusively 16:9 enhanced matted widescreen.  Of course, that also means that it is missing some of the best Foghorn Leghorn cartoons.  I would rather have had another six Foghorn Leghorn cartoons from the earlier era than the "and friends" stuff, but any unreleased LT/MM stuff is appreciated, I guess.

 

I will not hold my breath for the sets devoted to Bosko and Inki, though./img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif


Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#13 of 65 WadeM

WadeM

    Supporting Actor

  • 894 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 11 2006

Posted August 27 2010 - 01:18 PM

...



#14 of 65 Joe Tor1

Joe Tor1

    Second Unit

  • 424 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 27 2008

Posted August 27 2010 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for the information below -- from one "Joe" to another.

 

I THOUGHT the T&S set was extensively double-dipped... but REALLY!  EVERYTHING?
 

I repeat... EVERYTHING?
 

Thanks for the sour persimmons, Warner! 
 

Originally Posted by Joe*A 

Here's the complete list based on what's been posted on tvshowsondvd.com:

 

 

All Fowled Up (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Fox Terrier (Foghorn) – New to DVD but incorrect title; it’s called “Fox Terror”

A Broken Leghorn (Foghorn) – already released on Golden Collection Vol. 1

Crockett Doodle Doo (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Weasel While You Work (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Weasel Stop (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Little Boy Boo (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Banty Raids (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Strangled Eggs (Foghorn) New to DVD to DVD

Gopher Broke (Goofy Gophers) New to DVD

A Mutt In A Rut (Elmer Fudd) New to DVD

Mouse-Placed Kitten (Misc.) New to DVD

Cheese It The Cat (The Honey Mousers) New to DVD

Two Crows From Tacos (Two Crows) New to DVD

Crow's Feet (Elmer Fudd) New to DVD but title mis-spelled; it’s “Crow’s Feat”

 

 

TWEETY PIE - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

BAD OL' PUTTY TAT  - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

ALL A-BIRRRRD - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

CANARY ROW - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 1

PUDDY TAT TWOUBLE - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 1. Title incorrect “Putty Tat Trouble”

ROOM AND BIRD - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

TWEETY'S S.O.S. - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 1

TWEET TWEET TWEETY - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

GIFT WRAPPED - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

AIN'T SHE TWEET  - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

SNOW BUSINESS - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 2

SATAN'S WAITIN - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 6

THE LAST HUNGRY CAT - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 3

BIRDS ANONYMOUS  - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 3

TWEETY AND THE BEANSTALK - already released on Golden Collection Vol. 5

 

Notice that only 1 short is a duplicate in the Foghorn Leghorn disc and ALL have been released before for the Tweety and Sylvester disc. What a joke!!!

 

And I ask WB - why did you guys discontinue the Golden Collection? It was too good of a product to continue? Why give the consumer what they want? I don't get you guys.....

 

Signed,

"Frustrated"





#15 of 65 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

    Screenwriter

  • 1,523 posts
  • Join Date: May 03 2008
  • Real Name:Howie
  • LocationMid-South

Posted August 27 2010 - 02:13 PM

While I'll *probably* pick up the Foghorn set as he's my favorite, I'm very disappointed the toons are not *all* Foghorn toons.  I also lament the shift of "collector product" LT to the Warner Archive.  So far I've resisted any/all MOD disks even though there are a half-dozen or so films I'd like to own that, unfortunately, are on that format.  If the LT collector market shifts to MOD it looks like I'm done unless they decide to charge prices more in line with the lower quality format.  Charging *more* for MOD than a pressed disk is outrageous.  If you truly think the demand is that low just outsource it already.

 

Overall a very sorry state of affairs for LT at WB.



#16 of 65 David Rain

David Rain

    Screenwriter

  • 1,086 posts
  • Join Date: May 07 2005

Posted August 27 2010 - 08:15 PM

There's no reason why the Foghorn set should have been screwed up. Seriously. Most of this titles had not been on DVD so it should have been easy to fill up his set. In fact they could have just put all of this on one set and been done with it. Foghorn Leghorn: The Complete Collection. Would that really have been so difficult ?  But no, they had to screw with it and add on additional, needless other shorts. They didn't think Foghorn alone could carry a set ?  These added shorts are simply taking up space where more Foghorn could have gone. Damn.

 

They really need a dedicated LT collector to be a consultant on these sets. Because they seem to always get something wrong.


Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

 


#17 of 65 Joe Tor1

Joe Tor1

    Second Unit

  • 424 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 27 2008

Posted August 28 2010 - 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Rain 

There's no reason why the Foghorn set should have been screwed up. Seriously. Most of this titles had not been on DVD so it should have been easy to fill up his set. In fact they could have just put all of this on one set and been done with it. Foghorn Leghorn: The Complete Collection. Would that really have been so difficult ?  But no, they had to screw with it and add on additional, needless other shorts. They didn't think Foghorn alone could carry a set ?  These added shorts are simply taking up space where more Foghorn could have gone. Damn.

 


 

Honestly (…And here’s a situation that the phrase “Your mileage may vary!” was created for!), I don’t mind the other shorts on the Foghorn set.  In my view, it becomes a stronger package.

 

Why?  Because, with the exception of Bugs and Daffy, most LT and MM series are – to one degree or another – repetitious.  And, frankly, it even began to show with Bugs and Daffy on the most recent sets… Stork, B&D on various television productions, even both vs. the Tasmanian Devil, and lots of Bugs vs. Sam. 

 

When the Golden Collections did those discs of Road Runner, Tweety and Sylvester, and Speedy Gonzales, it certainly felt like “too much of a good thing” – and it undoubtedly WAS for some of us.  In fact, in an odd way, I’m GLAD to be able to skip the T&S set for that exact reason. Had there been a few “Friends” shorts – that HADN’T already been released – I’d be buying that too. 

 

Of course, I expect true “Foggy Fans” to disagree… but, would those of you feel better if we had a commitment – even a “believable chance” – that ALL of the Foghorn shorts would eventually be released?   I’d suspect so. 

 

My displeasure is with Warner’s handling of the LT & MM franchise as a WHOLE, than over any particular set.  It was once the best, and now it’s the worst! 



#18 of 65 WadeM

WadeM

    Supporting Actor

  • 894 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 11 2006

Posted August 28 2010 - 11:33 AM

The T&S complete double dip is aimed at a different audience than the ones who bought the golden/spotlight collections.  There are lots of people who are fans, but not that type of collector.

 

I LIKE having variety on my DVD shorts collections, so I'm glad that Foghorn includes something more than just Foghorn.  As someone else stated, too much of 1 thing is too repetitive and makes it extremely difficult to watch in 1 or 2 sittings.  VARIETY is what this fan likes.  Jerry Beck has been a fine consultant so far.

 

I don't understand the ONE double dip cartoon on the Foghorn DVD.  I think I read somewhere that the future of this particular line will include 1 DVD that's all double dip, and 1 DVD that's all new.  I can live with that, but seriously, NO DOUBLE DIPPING on the one DVD--it's a waste of space on what I'm paying for.  There's plenty of other choices that could have been made here.

 

Warner Archive?  I supported it in the 1st wave or 2, but now see that I'm not made of money, and I don't want to pay more for a DVDR.  I understand WB taking that route, but, unfortunately, it's just not for me, so I'll do without.

 

Mixed feelings on the widescreen thing.  Some look okay, but some don't.  I support original aspect ratio, but something's just not right on some of these cartoons, in my experience.  I preferred the Golden Collection 1.33 ratio for these.  And these cartoons are the only time I've said that.

 

Why is this in the TV section instead of the Theatrical section?

 



#19 of 65 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

    Screenwriter

  • 2,002 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 04 2005
  • Real Name:Joe

Posted August 28 2010 - 11:54 AM

These discussions always sadden me, because it could have been so simple.

 

Straighforward chronological sets, not necessarily starting at the beginning, would have solved so many problems.

 

They wouldn't have to figure out what to put on a set.

 

There wouldn't be the repetition of one Road Runner, Pepe LePew, Speedy Gonzales or Hippety Hopper cartoon after another.

 

They wouldn't have to worry about finding a place for "one shots" like "One Froggy Evening."

 

Any set with the faces of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Tweety, etc. smiling out at people and the words "Looney Tunes" in big letters would attact the general public.  There'd be something for everyone.

 

And, boy, would it have made the serious collectors happy!

 

But no.  We get this ridiculous mess instead.

 

And I'm not buying any of these new sets, for many reasons.

 

And even if they start doing it "right" via the Archive, I'm not sure I want to invest a large sum of money in DVD-Rs.

 

They really blew this one.



#20 of 65 Steve...O

Steve...O

    Producer

  • 3,212 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 2003
  • Real Name:Steve

Posted August 28 2010 - 02:33 PM

I agree with Joe L's last sentence :  "They really blew this one."

 

On one hand, WHV brags about shipping close to a billion units of LT.  That would suggest they are popular and salable, even in the current economy.  On the other hand, they have dropped the Golden Collections in favor of these less than stellar single discs and, worse yet, are looking to dump the LT into an overpriced DVD-R program.

 

I am  thankful we got the 6 Golden Collections and 3 Popeyes, but very, very disappointed that these have apparently come to the end of the line.

 


Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users