What's new

3D AVATAR 3D Blu-ray ..."2011 or beyond." (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
"A senior official at Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment's office in Los Angeles Confirmed"......"Will not contain the new home-entertainment 3D technology."

Toronto Sun .com

'Avatar' 3D will have to wait

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/dvd/2010/08/26/15147991.html

IMHO, ..... Just like they had for "Coraline" in 3D and "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" 3D.

Paul

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
From the article:

A senior official at Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment's office in Los Angeles confirmed the pre-Christmas Blu-ray release will not contain the new home-entertainment 3D technology. That version will have to wait until 2011 or beyond.
The Panasonic deal was never officially announced, but leaked by hollywoodinhidef back in May. I have been doing some digging on my own trying to get to the bottom of it, and while I can't get anyone at Panasonic or Fox to confirm, I am hearing through other reliable sources that the Panasonic exclusive 3D BD is still coming this year, just not until late November, early December. My guess is Fox wants to have the opportunity to promote the new 4 disc non 3D BD that is yet to officially be announced and let it go on sale in late November first, before Panasonic launches and promotes the 3D BD. I'm also hearing that a retail version of Avatar 3D BD won't be seen until late 2011 or even 2012 when there are more 3D capable TVs in the market.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not surprised. Fox is going to milk the Avatar cow for all it's worth. There will probaby be at minimum three different 3D BD releases of the film before they put out an "ultimate" edition that contains all of the different cuts in both "2D" and "3D" plus new and old extras. I expect a set like that will be released just in time to promote the theatrical release of the sequel.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I saw avatar in the theatres in 3D when it was released last december. I saw it 4 times in the theatre and once in imax. I enjoyed the 3D when I saw it. I did get the blu ray when that came out. I enjoyed that more. the color really pop out. I did see the se last night in 3D and the image was much darker then the 2D. something to do with the contrast or something. I think I have to say that I like the 2D version better. while its cool that panasonic has the rights for it in 3D. I heard they have the best 3D set up. I am not in a rush to get into 3D. I guess my question for people with 3D HDTV? is the contrast still very low or something that is differnt then seeing the movie in the theatre?

Jacob

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

I did see the SE last night in 3D and the image was much darker then the 2D
Its darker because of the glasses and or the filters on the projector (depending on the 3D system used).

I guess my question for people with 3D HDTV? is the contrast still very low or something that is differnt then seeing the movie in the theatre?
While I don't have a 3D TV, I have watched a fair amount. In my watching (at least on the Panasonic models) when in 3D they crank up the brightness (while keepling same color balance) to make it as bright as the 2D version. Kevin Koster noted this as well when we covered some 3D titles: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/300691/htf-exclusive-first-look-at-ice-age-3-dawn-of-the-dinosaurs-and-coraline-on-3d-blu-ray

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Its darker because of the glasses and or the filters on the projector (depending on the 3D system used).

I have seen 3D movies in 3 of the 4 theatrical formats currently in use.

Dolby 3D seems to be the darkest, but I'm not sure if that's because the only theatres in my area using this system are using 2K projectors. When I saw Piranha 3D, I did notice some falloff of the 3D on the edges of the screen, and the screen pretty much filled my peripheral vision, and the edges of the glasses matched up with the edges of the screen. This was less evident after I moved back a few rows.

I saw Avatar theatrically in Dolby 3D as well, and thought the image was unusually dark.

However, the films I have seen in both traditional IMAX 3D and RealD appeared much brighter.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Dolby 3D is a little goofy as the new 3D formats go, as it uses a standard white screen (which reduces the amount of light getting to each eye) and dichroic filters instead of polarizing filters. Therefore, the image will be darker.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Slightly off topic, but I must do this, given Paul's number of posts.

Somewhat near me in Los Angeles is the community of Thousand Oaks, where it is illegal to cut down an oak tree, for obvious reasons.

I have always wondered what would happen if someone DID cut down an oak tree there. Would they need to immediately rename the town and put up new signs everywhere saying "999 Oaks"?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

From the article:

The Panasonic deal was never officially announced, but leaked by hollywoodinhidef back in May. I have been doing some digging on my own trying to get to the bottom of it, and while I can't get anyone at Panasonic or Fox to confirm, I am hearing through other reliable sources that the Panasonic exclusive 3D BD is still coming this year, just not until late November, early December. My guess is Fox wants to have the opportunity to promote the new 4 disc non 3D BD that is yet to officially be announced and let it go on sale in late November first, before Panasonic launches and promotes the 3D BD. I'm also hearing that a retail version of Avatar 3D BD won't be seen until late 2011 or even 2012 when there are more 3D capable TVs in the market.
Was announced today for December.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
yesterday i was at the IFA in berlin. at the panasonic both they showed avatar 3d clips and looked pretty damn good. the clip was about 5 or 10 minutes long. i don't know for sure because i just saw it running and put the 3d glasses on. so they still might put the 3d version in the new tv package. i didn't asked them about it because i didn't know about any deal.

SergeiShadow

Agent
Real Name
Sergei Alenonov
После фабрика, которая может AVCHDs печать на DVD которая с HDTV, что не на Blu-ray еще не полезно для терпение. У меня уже есть AVCHD в Abyss. Лучше купить это на Blu-Ray дисков, а не фильм в этой ветке.

Sorry my English.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Well its official

AVATAR 3D BLU-RAY DISCTMHIGHLIGHTS EXCLUSIVE PANASONIC BUNDLE PACKAGE WITH VIERA®FULL HD 3D PLASMA TV PURCHASE

Instant Rebate Bundle Promotions to Feature AVATAR on Blu-ray 3D Disc, Two Pairs of Panasonic Rechargeable 3D Eyewear and Panasonic BDT-100 Blu-ray DiscTMPlayer

Promotion Also Offers Current Owners of Panasonic VIERA 3D TVs Opportunity to Get a Complimentary Copy of the AVATAR Blu-ray 3D Disc

SECAUCUS, NJ (December 1, 2010) – Panasonic, a worldwide leader in Full HD 3D technology, announced today that the Blu-ray 3D DiscTM version of the critically-acclaimed movie AVATAR by director James Cameron will be available exclusively with the purchase of 2010 Panasonic VIERA 3D Full HD TVs through participating retailers

nationwide beginning today.

Purchase a VIERA 3D TV, Take Home a 3D System –Available at participating dealers, the Panasonic 3D Full HD Ultimate Pack (SRP $399.95) promotion features the Blu-ray 3D version of James Cameron’s AVATAR and two pairs of rechargeable Panasonic 3D Eyewear with the purchase of a Panasonic VIERA®VT Series or GT Series Full HD 3D Plasma TV. Participating dealers will also be offering a Panasonic System Solution Bundle promotion through January 1, 2011 which offers a Panasonic DMP-BDT100 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (SRP $249.95) or a $249.95 instant rebate toward the purchase of a Panasonic [COLOR= windowtext]SC-BTT350 [/COLOR]3D Home Theater In-A-Box (SRP $499.95) with the purchase of a Panasonic VIERA VT or GT Series Full HD 3D TV.

Both the 3D Ultimate Pack and System Solution Bundle promotions run simultaneously offering consumers a unique opportunity to take home AVATAR on Blu-ray 3D Disc, two pairs of Panasonic 3D Eyewear and a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray Disc Player as a bonus for purchasing a 2010 Panasonic VIERA Full HD 3D Plasma TV.

Panasonic Customer Loyalty Program --Panasonic is also offering current owners of 2010 VIERA Full HD 3D Plasma TVs (VT25 Series, GT25 Series, [COLOR= windowtext]TC-P50VT20[/COLOR], and TC-46PGT24) who purchased their TVs between March 10, 2010 and November 30, 2010 an opportunity to receive a complimentary copy of AVATAR on Blu-ray 3D DiscTM via a mail-in request program. Complete details on the 3D Ultimate Pack, System Solution, and the Customer Loyalty Program are available at [COLOR= #800080]www.panasonic.com/avatar[/COLOR].

“As a leader in Full HD 3D technology, Panasonic is proud to be the exclusive source for the debut of the blockbuster movie AVATAR on Blu-ray 3D Disc,” said Shiro Kitajima, president of Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. “Panasonic’s line of VIERA®Full HD 3D Plasma TVs and Blu-ray 3D Disc Players are the best way to enjoy this stunning movie in crisp, clear Full HD 3D the way the movie’s creators intended it to be seen. With that in mind, Panasonic has created a series of bundle promotions designed to give consumers the opportunity to bring the immersive world of 3D and AVATAR in 3D into their homes for the holidays. We also wanted to recognize the early adopters who are so critical to new technologies with our Customer Loyalty Program so they too could enjoy AVATAR on Blu-ray 3D Disc with our compliments.”

“James Cameron advanced a new chapter of filmmaking with AVATAR, and Blu-ray effectively captured the detail, emotion and nuance of his vision,” said Mike Dunn, President Worldwide, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. “Now the stage is set to launch the immersive 3D experience for the home that’s only possible with Blu-ray 3D and has to be experienced with AVATAR. We are pleased to announce this exclusive arrangement with our partners at Panasonic, especially as they have a long history of involvement with AVATAR from its development, during the theatrical release, the Blu-ray launch and now with AVATAR on Blu-ray 3D.”

Unwrap 3D Tour -- To support the new bundle promotions, Panasonic also launched today a two-week, 14-city mall tour designed to give consumers a chance to experience the immersive world of Full HD 3D Home Entertainment at major malls across the nation.

The Unwrap 3D Tour will give consumers an opportunity to experience for themselves Panasonic’s award-winning line of Full HD 3D VIERA®VT25 and GT25 Series Plasma TVs, 3D Blu-rayDiscTM players, rechargeable 3D Active Shutter Eyewear, and 3D digital imaging products including Panasonic’s first consumer 3D camcorder and the world’s first digital camera with an interchangeable 3D lens – the LUMIX GH2. The display will also feature an amazing array of 3D content including a look at scenes from AVATAR on 3D Blu-rayDisc, exciting 3D programming from DIRECTV’s suite of linear 3D TV channels, including the n3DTMPowered by Panasonic channel, and PC-based 3D video gaming from nVIDIA; all of which will be displayed in crisp, clear Full HD 3D on Panasonic VIERA®Full HD 3D Plasma TVs.

The first leg of the Panasonic Unwrap 3D Tour kicks off today through December 5 with interactive mall displays simultaneously in seven malls in seven major metro areas -- New York, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. The second leg of the tour runs from December 8-12 with simultaneous displays in seven additional malls located in major metro areas -- Boston, Washington DC, Miami, Minneapolis, Houston, Phoenix, and Seattle. A listing of specific mall locations, dates and hours of operation can be found at [COLOR= #0000ff]www.panasonic.com/unwrap3d[/COLOR].

About Panasonic 3D Technology:

Panasonic’s Full HD 3D VIERA®Plasma TVs1 include five screens sizes – 42-inch class (41.6” measured diagonally), 46-inch (46.0” measured diagonally), 50-inch class (49.9” measured diagonally), 54-inch class (54.1 inches diagonal), 58-inch class (58.0 inches diagonal) and 65-inch class (64.7 inches diagonal). In addition, Panasonic also offers three professional Full HD 3D Plasma monitors in 85-inch class (85.3 diagonal inches), 103-inch class (102.5 diagonal inches) and a soon-to-be-released 152-inch class (152 diagonal inches) – the world’s largest Plasma screen. All Panasonic VIERA and professional Full HD 3D TV models are also Full HD TVs that display pristine 1080p content in two dimensions (2D) for conventional HD viewing.

Panasonic’s range of Full HD 3D VIERA Plasma HDTVs (VT and GT Series), when coupled with Panasonic’s Blu-ray 3D DiscTM players (DMP-BDT100, DMP- BDT300, DMP-BDT350) bring a new era of immersive visual entertainment into consumers’ homes, by creating a 3D experience that easily rivals the best that can be seen in cinemas.

In addition, this year Panasonic and DIRECTV ushered in a new age in the rapid growth of 3D entertainment for the home with the launch of n3DTM powered by Panasonic – a DIRECTV channel dedicated exclusively to 3D programming. n3D powered by Panasonic is now available at no additional cost to millions of DIRECTV HD customers and features a range of sports and entertainment programming exclusively in 3D. Panasonic is the exclusive presenting sponsor of DIRECTV’s n3D channel, one of three 3D TV channels from DIRECTV that deliver movies, sports and entertainment content from some of the world’s most renowned 3D producers.

In July 2010, Panasonic took the 3D era to a new level for consumers with the unveiling of the Panasonic HDC-SDT750, Panasonic’s first consumer 3D camcorder, which includes a 3D conversion lens that enables the camcorder to shoot powerful and true-to-life 3D video content and play it back on 3D-capable HDTVs2 and the LUMIX GH2 digital still camera with an interchangeable 3D lens for capturing still photos in immersive 3D.

Panasonic was awarded the 2010 Charles Wheatstone Award by the International 3D Society for its leadership in educating consumers and professionals about 3D technology and driving the development of 3D technology around the world. For more information on Panasonic’s Full HD 3D technology, visit [COLOR= #0000ff]www.panasonic.com/3D[/COLOR].

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have to say kudos to Panasonic for allowing people who purchased their sets earlier this year the ability to get a copy for free. Other HW companies haven't allowed owners a way to get new exclusives they are bundling. I also think the mall tour is a great idea. People need to see 3D and based on the friends and family I have talked to, retail isn't the best place to do that.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Regarding: Playing the Avatar 3D disc and using James Cameron's preferred settings:

The North American Panasonic Global site is offering a new downloadable firmware update to version 3.5 for the VT25/20 and GT25 series Viera sets which happens to be "James Cameron's Ideal Settings to Watch Avatar" @ http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us2010/avatar/index.html?cm_sp=promos-_-avatar-bluray-_-IdealSettings. The only problem is if you decide to install it "you cannot restore the previous image quality after rewriting the program", if you decide you don't like the results.

Paul

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Paul Hillenbrand

Paul

That seems exceedingly ridiculous. Granted - I haven't purchased a new TV in many years - has the technology really evolved to the point where the old adage of "Settings that are ideal for one person in one environment do not necessarily equate to the ideal settings for another set in another environment"?

The only possible benefit I can see of this is for folks who have their sets at factory defaults - at least this will presumably get them in the ballpark of a properly calibrated display, however I'd be willing to bet that if they've been watching in "vivid" mode all their life, A) They'll HATE whatever settings the update produces, and B) They're not likely to be the kind of users who have EVER done a firmware update, nor are they at all likely to even attempt such an update in the first place.

I guess one can put this sort of "quality hyperbole" right up there with the statements about how the first release of Avatar on Blu was void of extras because they wanted to "preserve the highest possible bitrate for ultimate picture quality." Whatever.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I will be doing the upgrade to my set today. For what it is worth the THX mode is pretty close to perfect out of the box. I will just verify it with a calibration disc after doing the FW upgrade.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Finally upgraded my crappy tv in the bedroom with this new Panny bundle. $1,299, no sales tax, free shipping to my door via Amazon for the 42in model and bundle. Unreal.

And if I put the Avatar 3D disc on eBay, I might recover another $300 or so (but I'm keeping my copy).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks