What's new

September 1 Music 'special event' discussion (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's officially on for next Wednesday!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/25/apple-to-hold-special-event-september-1st-well-be-there-li/

Place your bets and dig in for what should be an interesting event.

New iPod touch? Count on it.

iOS 4.2 for iPad? Count on it.

$99 apple TV ala iTV? Maybe

99 cent tv show rentals? Maybe

7" iPad LONGSHOT

Beatles? LONGSHOT

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Beatles is a flat no. Yoko got quoted very recently saying there is still no agreement with Apple.

I'd venture to say that even if the 7" iPad is coming in 2010, it will get its own separate intro.

I'd say that the iTV (no idea about the name itself) is 100%. If not now, when? I don't think TV rentals matter all that much -- you can buy the shows for $1.99 so I'm not sure what the big deal about renting them is.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
im excited to see whats in the touch. im hoping for a mostly iphone4 without the phone. with the front camera for face time and the hi res screen and the same physical shape as the phone

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My guesses. Since there's no "maybe", things either happen or they don't, I'm going binary :)

iPod Touch refresh: Yes. Metaphysical certitude

iPod Touch has front-facing camera for FaceTime: Yes.

iPod Nano Touch: Yes.

OS 4.2: No. A "music" event is not an obvious choice for a developer's announcement

TV Rentals: Yes

AppleTV refresh: No.

iPad refresh: No. Not a chance. Not even a longshot. Metaphysical impossibility. To those that say yes, John McLaughlin says, "Wrong Answer!!! Bye byyye!"

Beatles: Who cares? Buy the CDs and rip them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Surprised some naysayers on Apple TV. There

is a lot of buzz about it on the Internet. I would say

it's a "go" but who knows...

http://macapper.com/2010/08/25/the-revolution-will-be-televised/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Given the emphasis on music, a "TV" announcement isn't a fit. Moreover, consider how Apple thinks: they want a clear and singular "message" to dominate the news cycle. That will be "iPod Touch does FaceTime".

Simultaneously announcing a major new iTV product would confuse and dilutes that message.

So we'll see a separate iTV announcement later to create a clear, unconfused media message to launch its holiday sales.

The one issue that makes me doubt this is: new TV starts in September. I understand this "iPod" event is earlier than normal on the first of Sept. That might suggest getting an iTV out to coincide with the new TV season. But to stick with my binary predictions, since a prediction of "maybe" is meaningless, I'm going with no iTV announcement at this even.

And if I'm wrong, you can all give me your best Nelson Muntz "ha ha" :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Daring Fireball expects the whole enchilada

I expect a new iPhone 4-caliber iPod Touch (retina display, dual FaceTime-ready cameras), new iTunes TV show rentals, and a new iOS-based Apple TV. The wildcard is whether there’s going to be an App Store for the Apple TV.
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/08/25/apple-event

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Against a separate iTV event -- the hobby thing. El Jobso won't put his rep on the line for something that won't take over the world. The TV rental thing will be supported by a couple of networks at best.

I see it as a one more thing at the music event.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I can buy that. I've been thinking of this AppleTV refresh as a big deal. But they may continue to sell it as a secondary product. A refresh on a box no one really cares about :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm just hoping for more than 64GB on the iPod Touch. I have told myself that my 2 year old 120GB iPod Classic is the last hard drive based iPod I'll buy, but I also won't buy a new iPod until I can hold my entire audio library on it (currently 75GB). With Apple doubling the amount of memory in the Touch and iPhone every year we were on pace to have a 64GB iPhone and 128GB Touch this year...except that Apple held the RAM limit to 32GB for the iPhone 4. So will they hold to the same 64GB limit on the new Touch announced on Sept.1? I'm hoping not.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
64gb is plenty for anyone =p 'Smart Playlists' are the bomb. And if you need more than 8 movies in addition to 20gb each for music and apps you need to get out more. =)

I want just the opposite. I'm hoping for a radically cheap iPod touch with only 8gb for about $149. I'd buy one for each niece and nephew for christmas at that price and they are all screaming about sharing my old 1st gen one now. That's the beauty of this setup for me, my iPhone, iPad and their touch all pull from my collection and I sync them up about every 2 months. More touches would be just a sync away and then everyone gets their own save games and layouts.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I could see myself going for an iTV if they line up some reasonably priced HD content. I've had a few times in the past where I failed to get a show recorded and then had to buy the episode from Amazon for $2.99 because they aren't available for rent. I bit my tongue and paid, but I'd be much more willing to do some rentals if the price was right.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
$99 AppleTV with $0.99 48-hr rentals gets my attention. The main thing stopping me then would be I don't really want to buy a device that enables me to watch *more* TV :) It's amazing how much you can watch just with OTA HD and a pair of Tivos :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sad thing for me Sam is that 75GB (actually now 76GB with my new CD purchase today) is only my music, no movies at all. [/url]

64gb is plenty for anyone =p 'Smart Playlists' are the bomb. And if you need more than 8 movies in addition to 20gb each for music and apps you need to get out more. =)

I want just the opposite. I'm hoping for a radically cheap iPod touch with only 8gb for about $149. I'd buy one for each niece and nephew for christmas at that price and they are all screaming about sharing my old 1st gen one now. That's the beauty of this setup for me, my iPhone, iPad and their touch all pull from my collection and I sync them up about every 2 months. More touches would be just a sync away and then everyone gets their own save games and layouts.

[/quote]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, Dave, I'm "the guy". You know, the guy who is considered to be the source of original music in a group of friends? The one guy who still buys his music, who still discovers new, non-top40 bands? I can't abdicate that role. I refuse!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm too old I guess. I didn't know that guy with 75GB of must-listen music that got carried to every party and gathering :)

But I do agree that you can never have too much storage. I wish for a 64GB iPhone. (Even though I've got 10GB free on my 32GB ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks