What's new

optoma hd66 projector and RBE (rainbow effect) (1 Viewer)

ezekieldas

Auditioning
Real Name
ezekiel das
With the help of a local HT business I purchased an optoma hd66 for around $700US and had it installed. I'm really impressed with the size of the image, the quality of image and the overall versatility of the projector --how it's fitting in our 17' x 12' living room (17' projection distance). FWIW my girlfriend and I watch mostly films --ranging from old 1930's b/w to modern action. Having a strong interest in film techniques, picture composition, etc. I can be very critical of how true the display is to the film.

One issue which may soon merit a return of this projector is the frequency of RBE (rainbow effect). Particularly with b/w films it's almost unbearable. I've adjusted contrast, dropped lamp brightness --neither of these have noticable impact. The only thing that really decreases RBE is an increase of ambient lighting --which isn't acceptable as the loss of color isn't a fair trade. Lastly, and perhaps most important --I've demonstrated this to 4 other people now --all of whom see the RBE and agree that it's very distracting. Through various postings I've read the HD66 has a slow (3x) color wheel. Yet I'm not finding this noted on the spec sheet on the optoma website.

My question then is 1> are there some settings known to reduce RBE 2> could the projector be defective? 3> I realize this is a bargain projector so if I return it what's a recommended device in the same price range?

Thank you,

-ezekieldas

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That sucks. The only thing you can do is make sure you have the contrast and brightness set properly(using a calibration disc or THX Optimizer). If you guys still see RBE, you'll have to go with an LCD projector. I thought the HD66 had a 4X color wheel speed. What's very unusual though is that all of the other 4 people saw RBE. I see RBE on 2X speed models, but not on 4X speed models. I have the Mits. HC3800.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I own an Optoma HD65 and it has the equivalent of a 4x color wheel. With this projector I see an occasional rainbow effect during the first 50 hours or so of lamp life. After that I hardly ever see RBE.

One nice aspect of the Optoma HD65 is that the "BrilliantColor II" setting is variable in 10 different steps in all modes. This adjustment is not available on the HD66 and could lead to some increased RBE -- as well as gradient issues -- in some of the preset modes. I keep this setting below the midway point at all times.

I would try the following:

* Image AI -- Off

* TrueVid -- Off

* Mode: Cinema with the "Film" gamma (This preset setting reportedly utilizes a low BrilliantColor setting.)

* Contrast and Brightness: Use a calibration DVD.

Also, the larger the projected image, the more likely you are to see RBE. If you're projecting on to a 96" screen you need to be sitting at least 10' back.

Good luck!

ezekieldas

Auditioning
Real Name
ezekiel das

Thanks a bunch for the responses. I really appreciate it.

@: My brother in law recommended the Mits. HC3800 awhile back. I'm revisiting that recommendation.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I love my HC3800, but if you're seeing rainbows with the HD66, you will probably see them with the HC3800 also.

ezekieldas

Auditioning
Real Name
ezekiel das
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc

I love my HC3800, but if you're seeing rainbows with the HD66, you will probably see them with the HC3800 also.

Why do you say that? Is it because of the color wheel speed of the HC3800 or because of the physiological/psychological issues tied to RBE? That is, would you expect the other 3 persons who saw rainbows on my HD66 to see them on the HC3800 as well?

I spoke w/Optoma about this briefly and the tech support rep said "it's probably a defective color wheel." By next week I'll have a replacement to determine whether this is true but if not... then I'm almost back to square 1: what projector to use?

I'm a little weary of the potential trial/error I'm looking at here. I'd prefer to see a demo of these various devices but I'm unsure if such a demo room exists (btw, I'm the SF bay area).

Thanks again for the comments.

athurart09

Auditioning
Real Name
Athur Art
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc

me too :x

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks