Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Modern shows with no Blu-ray release - do you skip?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted August 24 2010 - 11:09 AM

While many recent shows are getting Blu-ray releases simultaneous with their DVD release, this isn't always the case, even if the show is produced in HD. So far I know I've definitely skipped buying Legend of the Seeker and Leverage on disc because they won't sell me it in HD; there's a couple of other shows I was waffling on but was able to rule out rather expeditiously because of the lack of HD (Castle, FlashForward).

I'm curious as to whether I'm alone in this preference. :)

"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,023 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 24 2010 - 11:22 AM

If it's a title that I know airs in HD, was shot in HD, I really don't want the DVD.  In the case of "Legend" it's even more laughable in that HD versions of it have been available to legitimately purchase elsewhere (Sony PSN for the PS3 had it I believe) so it's just a crock.  I won't buy HD filmed shows in non-HD.  It's just a no-sale.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,777 posts

Posted August 24 2010 - 11:30 AM

Oh definitely.  It is difficult (for me) to justify the purchase of a program in Standard Definition that I viewed via broadcast in High Definition. I did cave and purchase Season 1 of Legend of the Seeker, but the purchases are few and far between in those cases.

Some of the shows I've passed up (at least so far) are:  Better Off Ted, Castle, and Reaper.  All of these would have been automatic purchases on Blu-Ray.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,205 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted August 24 2010 - 11:50 AM

I don't buy bluray.

I consider bluray a kind of flash in the pan, the rest of the seasons I have of shows are in regular DVD format, and I can't see paying more money for bluray when a standard DVD will look perfectly fine to me for less money.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 24 2010 - 11:59 AM

Definitely skip.  I'd have been glad to have bought Community on Blu-Ray, but I won't buy the DVDs.  I can just stick with my HD recordings.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted August 24 2010 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for your answers, everybody. I feel better knowing I'm not being crazy. ;)

"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted August 24 2010 - 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man 

I don't buy bluray.

I consider bluray a kind of flash in the pan

You are certainly living up to your name aren't you.  I kid of course....to each their own./img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Anyway, as for myself....I will never buy shows shot for HD on DVD format.  That's the exact reason why I pre-ordered Modern Family: Season 1 but not Community.  Now, if they offered that show for Blu-ray they would have a sale...but they didn't so I'm skipping it altogether.

Recently watched- Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia, Bloodlust: Subspecies III, Gorky Park, The Last Man On Earth(1964), Lost: Season 6, Transformers Age Of Extinction 3D, The World's End, Toy Story Of Terror!, X-Men: Days Of Future Past 3D, Bloodstone: Subspecies II, Snowpiercer, A Nightmare On Elm St Pt 2

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati, Season 1, Arrow: Season 2

Irina Asanova - "KGB have better cars, you know."
Arkady Renko - "Ah, but they don't always take you where you want to go, do they?"

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted August 24 2010 - 01:40 PM

Probably will soon enough.

I've skipped Burn Notice and Flashpoint as there's nothing planned for their previously released (or announced) DVD season set on BD.  I may make an exception for the "Sam Axe" prequel, though.