Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Andrei Tarkovsky on Blu-ray?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 MartinL

MartinL

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted August 23 2010 - 04:26 AM

Any news about Tarkovsky on Blu-ray?

The following titles are available on DVD from Criterion;

Ivan's Childhood (1962) (Reissue)

Andrei Rublev (1969)

Solaris (1972)

Does Criterion still have the rights to "Andrei Rublev" and "Solaris"? Who owns the rights to "Stalker"?

Do you think we will see these titles on Blu-ray anytime soon (US/EU)?

#2 of 13 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,488 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 23 2010 - 04:51 AM

Good Gods, one viewing of ANDREI RUBLEV was enough to last me through this lifetime and several more, even if I come back as a Russian history major and Russian cinema scholar. I like Tarkovsky, but that one was interminable and with wanton animal cruelty to boot. I'm in for SOLARIS on Blu though, especially if it includes an exclusively filmed apology from Soderbergh and Clooney for their ridiculous remake.

Gee, I'm just full of Tarkovsky-esque good cheer today!/img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

#3 of 13 Frank M

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted August 23 2010 - 05:19 AM

Mosfilm has released a very good Blu-ray of Andrei Rublev with english subtitles earlier this year. You can look at a screenshot comparison with the Criterion and Artificial Eye DVDs on this russian website: http://vobzor.com/page.php?id=575

An english language user review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Andrei-Rublev-Blu-ray/10957/#UserReviews

#4 of 13 MartinL

MartinL

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 13 2010 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for the tip! I hope Criterion will announce a Blu-ray of Solaris in the near future. That is, if they still own the rights.

#5 of 13 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted October 13 2010 - 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Point-Blank 

Good Gods, one viewing of ANDREI RUBLEV was enough to last me through this lifetime and several more, even if I come back as a Russian history major and Russian cinema scholar. I like Tarkovsky, but that one was interminable and with wanton animal cruelty to boot. I'm in for SOLARIS on Blu though, especially if it includes an exclusively filmed apology from Soderbergh and Clooney for their ridiculous remake.

Gee, I'm just full of Tarkovsky-esque good cheer today!/img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

I love the original SOLARIS, but the remake wasn't bad at all. It was handled in a very streamlined approach for sure. but I loved Viola Davis's performance and the score from Cliff Martinez. It would be intersting to see a more elaborate special edition for the Soderbergh version with all the deleted and alternate scenes.

But I would love the original on BLU. Same with Ivan's Childhood.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#6 of 13 MLamarre

MLamarre

Second Unit

• 414 posts

Posted October 13 2010 - 08:17 AM

Criterion still has the rights to the 3 films you listed because the DVDs would be OOP if they didn't.

Kino has the rights to STALKER, THE MIRROR and THE SACRIFICE.

No one seems to have the rights to NOSTALGHIA since Fox Lorber went bust but it's speculated that Criterion is working on this one.

#7 of 13 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted October 15 2010 - 06:06 PM

I would be a happy man if Criterion could dig up Solaris's original 6-track stereo mix for Blu. It won't happen of course but I can wish.

#8 of 13 MartinL

MartinL

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted January 01 2011 - 11:28 PM

Solaris might be coming this year:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5675

#9 of 13 MartinL

MartinL

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted May 06 2012 - 11:37 PM

So Solaris is out. Any chance we will get Stalker on Blu-ray from Criterion?

#10 of 13 Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 617 posts

Posted May 07 2012 - 12:08 AM

The Sacrifice is out on blu, of course, so it would seem likely that Stalker soon will be as well.

#11 of 13 Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 716 posts

Posted May 08 2012 - 06:59 AM

The Sacrifice is out on blu, of course, so it would seem likely that Stalker soon will be as well.

Unfortunately the transfer is oversharpened...

#12 of 13 Eerik

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted May 08 2012 - 09:13 AM

The Mirror is out in Russia, alas no English subtitles. Kino reportedly has plans to release it in the US later this year.

#13 of 13 Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted May 08 2012 - 02:55 PM

Last year, on their facebook page, Kino said they do not have the Blu-ray rights for Stalker. But, like I said, that was last year, so who knows what, if anything, has changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users