What's new

Paramount releases (Gasp!) a 1950's film on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Paramount (who stopped releasing films made during the last century) is releasing "White Christmas" on Nov 2nd

"The Gods must be crazy"

well, I for one, hope "Once Upon a Time in the West" finally gets a blu-ray release if Paramount is listening, what are they waiting for???

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Paramount (who stopped releasing films made during the last century) is releasing "White Christmas" on Nov 2nd

"The Gods must be crazy"

well, I for one, hope "Once Upon a Time in the West" finally gets a blu-ray release if Paramount is listening, what are they waiting for???

...The confidence that a Blu-ray release would sell well enough to make it commercially viable. Here's a potential title for licensing to Criterion, along with DON'T LOOK NOW and ROMEO AND JULIET and SUNSET BLVD and THE DUELLISTS and ...well, the list goes on.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

White Christmas Blu-ray will be a blind buy for me.

I won't buy "blind" but if this turns out to be a high quality BRD, I'll certainly buy it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

White Christmas Blu-ray will be a blind buy for me.

Me, too. White Christmas and Scrooge are the first two holiday-themed films I pull off the shelf during the season to get myself in the holiday mood. I watched just a bit of AMC's HD presentation of White Christmas last year and was not impressed, but then I'm not sure they were airing an actual HD transfer.

PRO-630HD

Grip
Real Name
tim lamb
According to a european site Once Upon a Time in the West is supposed to be released in Jan. of 2011 on bluray.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
OH - MY - GOD!

My favorite western coming to Blu-ray.

If it's anything like the DVD it will be a

absolute pleasure to watch.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I really can't wait to see this on my own system. We've had to endure such a mediocre DVD transfer for SO many years.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by John Hodson

You know, i had something funny to say. Takin' the high road...just once!

PS. I would be so happy to see Paramount get into some classic Blu-ray releases...War of the Worlds...please!

RCinOttawa

Agent
Real Name
RC
I just hope this is not the beginning of them releasing, rereleasing, and rerereleasing White Christmas, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Ten Commandments, and Funny Face, and NOTHING ELSE, for the next decade...

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Is Paramount finally going to ramp up their Blu-Ray catalog releases? I heard that they didn't think the stuff they've put out so far sold well enough. In fact a VERY large number of their older DVD titles are now out of print, so I've been panic-buying the ones I really want- with my luck they'll end up being put on Blu-Ray after all.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Where's the love for To Catch A Thief?

Perhaps that will be part of a Hitchcock push, or Cary Grant set. But I believe this is the only Hitchcock done at Paramount, so maybe it will be a stand alone release.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Where's the love for To Catch A Thief?

Perhaps that will be part of a Hitchcock push, or Cary Grant set. But I believe this is the only Hitchcock done at Paramount, so maybe it will be a stand alone release.

Not only TO CATCH A THIEF but also REAR WINDOW, THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, VERTIGO and PSYCHO were all made for Paramount. Apart from TO CATCH A THIEF, the rights for the other titles went to Hitchcock (as well as Warner's ROPE), following on from which, apart from PSYCHO, Hitchcock withheld from public showings for very many years until Universal obtained the rights from the Hitchcock estate and gave them all theatrical showings. I've never understood why TO CATCH A THIEF was retained by Paramount - maybe Hitchcock wasn't that keen on the film itself to make him want to buy the rights.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I stand corrected Doug! I forgot those other Hitchcock's were Paramount films that went to Universal.

I always thought that To Catch a Thief, while atypical, was well loved. We know Mr. Hitchcock very much liked Grace Kelly and Cary Grant too. So you have a good question as to why Paramount retained To Catch a Thief. I just hope it comes out.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't want to sound a false alarm, and I am
working on getting definitive confirmation....

I don't think Once Upon A Time In The West

is being released domestically next year on

Blu-ray.

As for Scrooge, I have planted the seed with

the powers that be at Paramount while I was

there today.

I should be back soon with a final answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks