Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Modern Times (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,879 posts

Posted August 16 2010 - 11:09 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 28 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,840 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted August 16 2010 - 01:03 PM

most criterion art is a wonder, but this is not good, wish they would have went with poster art instead

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#3 of 28 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted August 16 2010 - 07:34 PM

Day one for me

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#4 of 28 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,096 posts

Posted August 17 2010 - 08:30 AM

I'm thrilled, and that cover art is absolutely stellar.

You know what would be even better?

One Chaplin release a month without a break until they're all released. :D

#5 of 28 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,052 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 17 2010 - 10:47 AM

The cover art is lousy; it's an altered photo of the Tramp that was taken long before MODERN TIMES was ever conceived.  But that doesn't really matter; the deal-breaker is this:

Like Warner/MK2 did a few years ago, Criterion is releasing the version of the film that was cut by Chaplin for its 1956 reissue, meaning that the wonderful final verse of the nonsense song has been lopped out with a chainsaw, ruining the rhythm of the scene and making it end abruptly.  This poor verse has been unceremoniously stuck in with the extras.

The film was released in a nice uncut transfer through Image in 2000 and is available used from Amazon sellers at prices not far removed from Criterion retail; if you want the film complete as originally released in theaters in 1936, before Charlie got his revisionist mitts on it twenty years after the fact, then your money is much better spent on a used Image DVD.  I feel sorry for Criterion, because the Chaplin Estate's wrongheaded attitude is going to cost them sales; they're only allowed to license the cut reissue versions of THE KID, A WOMAN OF PARIS, MODERN TIMES, A KING IN NEW YORK and most of the First National shorts.  They've already lost at least half a grand from me alone, as I've no need for cut versions of Chaplin films that I already own in uncut form in nice transfers.

#6 of 28 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,067 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 17 2010 - 11:48 AM

Personally, I don't mind the alterations of the films, aside from The Gold Rush, which will hopefully include both versions 1080p. I'd ideally want both cuts of all the films, but it is what it is. In most cases they are rather small changes, and as I only have the MK2/Warner releases I will be more than happy to upgrade.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 28 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,129 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 17 2010 - 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nelson 

The film was released in a nice uncut transfer through Image in 2000 and is available used from Amazon sellers at prices not far removed from Criterion retail; if you want the film complete as originally released in theaters in 1936, before Charlie got his revisionist mitts on it twenty years after the fact, then your money is much better spent on a used Image DVD.  I feel sorry for Criterion, because the Chaplin Estate's wrongheaded attitude is going to cost them sales; they're only allowed to license the cut reissue versions of THE KID, A WOMAN OF PARIS, MODERN TIMES, A KING IN NEW YORK and most of the First National shorts.  They've already lost at least half a grand from me alone, as I've no need for cut versions of Chaplin films that I already own in uncut form in nice transfers.

Wow, you mean I can sell my Image dvd and then buy this BRD with those profits.  Interesting that Criterion press release is indicating 87 minute runtime which is the same as the 2000 Image disc while the 2003 dvd release has a 83 minute runtime.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#8 of 28 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,052 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 17 2010 - 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

Quote:

Wow, you mean I can sell my Image dvd and then buy this BRD with those profits.  Interesting that Criterion press release is indicating 87 minute runtime which is the same as the 2000 Image disc while the 2003 dvd release has a 83 minute runtime.

Crawdaddy

If you'd rather have a bastardized version of the film, yep, you could probably do that.  Now that the Estate has hamstrung yet another release of Charlie's films, the corresponding Image DVDs will be even more sought after.

The missing footage runs 30 seconds (albeit 30 extremely precious seconds), not enough to make them add another minute to the running time; the cut version was always listed as 87 minutes in prior VHS and CED disc incarnations.  Re: the shorter running time for the 2003 DVD, all the WB/MK2 Chaplin DVDs were mastered from PAL-to-NTSC conversions (rather lousy ones at that, DNVR'd to death and ghosting all over the place), and thus run 4% too fast.

#9 of 28 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,052 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 17 2010 - 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

Personally, I don't mind the alterations of the films, aside from The Gold Rush, which will hopefully include both versions 1080p. I'd ideally want both cuts of all the films, but it is what it is. In most cases they are rather small changes, and as I only have the MK2/Warner releases I will be more than happy to upgrade.

If all you have are the WB/MK2 releases, then you don't know what you're missing, so perhaps that's why you don't mind the alterations.  Trust me, I'd bet that if you had the uncut versions, especially MODERN TIMES and THE KID, you wouldn't want to downgrade to cut versions.  The unaffected titles will hopefully indeed be an upgrade, if they aren't DVNR'd to death like the WB/MK2s.  I might pick up THE GOLD RUSH if the real film is once again included, and if it's been given a new hi-def transfer.  That's the only one of the WB/MK2s I picked up.

#10 of 28 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,067 posts

Posted August 17 2010 - 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nelson 

If all you have are the WB/MK2 releases, then you don't know what you're missing, so perhaps that's why you don't mind the alterations.

I don't own them, but I've seen them.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 28 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,052 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 17 2010 - 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 
I don't own them, but I've seen them.

Ah well, then I guess you're a hopeless case.  ;-)

#12 of 28 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,067 posts

Posted August 17 2010 - 01:29 PM

/img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

Don't get me wrong - one day I may get around to owning the original cuts, too. But I like the altered cuts enough still to buy the Criterion releases when they come out.

#13 of 28 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 17 2010 - 01:43 PM

The international release of these on blu-ray look to be cropped a fair amount, according to the screencaps on dvdbeaver. Are these going to be the same transfers?

#14 of 28 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 17 2010 - 01:48 PM

Deleted by Poster

#15 of 28 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,067 posts

Posted August 17 2010 - 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard 

The international release of these on blu-ray look to be cropped a fair amount, according to the screencaps on dvdbeaver. Are these going to be the same transfers?

Unknown. I do know Criterion has done their own work on this release, but it may depend on what the Estate gave them to work with.

#16 of 28 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 17 2010 - 11:32 PM

I looked at the Modern Times caps again and I was wrong. The blu-ray is not cropped. The other title was.

#17 of 28 PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 577 posts

Posted August 18 2010 - 03:30 AM

*sigh*  Guess I'm sticking with my complete collection of Image Chaplin laser discs!

PaulaJ

#18 of 28 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,423 posts

Posted August 18 2010 - 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by PaulaJ 

*sigh*  Guess I'm sticking with my complete collection of Image Chaplin laser discs!

I am doing the same. I guess we should consider ourselves fortunate that there were some versions of Chaplin's work released before the estate went back to the crappy altered versions. I am less bothered by the editing of Modern Times than I am The Kid. Worst of all is The Chaplin Revue with its slowed-down extra-frames added speed.

I was fortunate to get several of the Chaplin IMage DVDs when they were still available. For Modern Times and The Kid/A Dog's Life, I authored my own DVDs from the laserdiscs. The only MK2/Warner title I bought was The Gold Rush for the original silent version.

#19 of 28 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,647 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 20 2010 - 10:39 AM

I have the R1 warner sets for these which for me are good enough.  That said, I'll probably take a crack at this one, the extras intrigue me and Criterion usually does some good work.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#20 of 28 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,160 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 20 2010 - 10:49 AM

My favourite Chaplin film, and I'm not a big fan. I'll probably get this eventually.

I don't like the blu-ray cover though.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users