Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: American Cinema's Boldest Classics 6-Disc Set (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,910 posts

Posted August 16 2010 - 11:01 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted August 16 2010 - 02:56 PM

For me this set will be worth it for just Five Easy Pieces, The King of Marvin Gardens and The Last Picture Show. I don't really care much for Easy Rider, but I am looking forward to watching the other films. I thought it would take 10 years for The King of Marvin Gardens to be released on Blu-ray, so this is a real treat.

#3 of 14 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,538 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 17 2010 - 01:30 AM

I have HEAD, EASY RIDER, FIVE EASY PIECES, and THE LAST PICTURE SHOW twice.  But I am all over this set since it is in Blu-ray.  I would have picked it up in SDVD just for the upgrade you will get on HEAD and the three other films that have not been released, but the THE LAST PICTURE SHOW in Blu-ray. it just can not get any better.  And knowing what Criterion and Sony will do for this set is unimaginable. I do not consider any of this a double dip.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 14 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts

Posted August 17 2010 - 05:13 AM

All I really want is "The Last Picture Show"  - will these blu-rays be available separately at some point? Does Criterion do that?

#5 of 14 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,096 posts

Posted August 17 2010 - 08:25 AM

according to the hearsay from the criterion forum, criterion was only allowed to license the batch if they were only released in a box set and not released individually. so it is doubtful it will be available separately.   Enterprising Ebayers will undoubtedly unbox the set, but your best chance at buying them separate may be catching it used on netflix.

#6 of 14 Douglas_H

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted August 17 2010 - 10:09 AM

Well this just absolutely bites.

Seriously, NONE of the other films in this set are even remotely on the level of TLPS.

And before I get flamed by the 10 members who think Marvin Gardens or HEAD or 5EP is the pinnacle of American Cinema,

I understand that each of these films has its adherents but face it, no matter what you or I think of these films,

TLPS is the raison d'etre of this set.

Easy Rider has already been released and didn't sell squat and if the rest of them were released on their own they wouldn't sell squat either.

People will be buying this for TLPS and ebaying one or more of the rest not the other way around.

Unfortunately, I think Criterion is going to lose their a$$ on this set.

Of course I could be totally wrong

#7 of 14 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,866 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 17 2010 - 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas_H 

People will be buying this for TLPS and ebaying one or more of the rest not the other way around.

That will entirely depend on how Criterion packages them. If they're wise (and Criterion have shown temselves to be that in the past), they'll package this set either in a 6-disc multibox or a digipak with card sleeve so that titles are not easily sold off separately.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 14 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,419 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted August 17 2010 - 10:26 AM

Hmmm; I just may buy two...

Really, really looking forward to this.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#9 of 14 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts

Posted August 17 2010 - 10:55 AM

Does this mean SONY will issued TLPS at some later on their own Blu-ray label?

Criterion may have had to license all the films together (that would make sense) But can't understand why they would have to sell them all together?

By the way - These side bar ads are driving me crazy!!!!

#10 of 14 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,072 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 17 2010 - 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

Does this mean SONY will issued TLPS at some later on their own Blu-ray label?

Criterion may have had to license all the films together (that would make sense) But can't understand why they would have to sell them all together?

I imagine that'll be the case - that down the road Sony will release it individually.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 14 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted August 17 2010 - 11:44 AM

I've really been looking forward to this set.  It should be amazing with BOTH Sony and Criterion involved.

#12 of 14 Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted August 17 2010 - 02:27 PM

Looks like a nice box, but the "America's Boldest Classics" header is a tad pompous. Without Dennis Hopper's The Last Movie, this box feels incomplete and the title unearned. Sorry to thread-crap, I just don't see anything in this box worth double-dipping for...

#13 of 14 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,538 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 17 2010 - 02:57 PM

Another reason that I am looking forward to this set, besides TLPS are the extras concerning BBS Productions and Bob Rafelson.  This collection is a great honor to that small and short lived, but very influential company and how it re-invented films for the 70's.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#14 of 14 Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 457 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted August 17 2010 - 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H 

That will entirely depend on how Criterion packages them. If they're wise (and Criterion have shown temselves to be that in the past), they'll package this set either in a 6-disc multibox or a digipak with card sleeve so that titles are not easily sold off separately.

Considering there are seven films in this set and it contains six discs, at least one of the discs is going to contain a double feature. I'm betting on digipak for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users