What's new

Bridge On The River Kwai on 11/2 (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that the Film Forum in NYC will be showing a new 4K digital restoration of the film September 24 - 30 in its original aspect ratio of 2:55:1 for the first time since its original release per the ad. Is anyone in the know about this restoration and does it mean the film will soon be released in blu-ray?

http://www.filmforum.org/pdf/ff2_cal88_FINAL_3.pdf

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I'm glad to see that this movie is given the care it deserves. All the complaining (not necessarily only on this board) about Lawrence of Arabia still not being released gets boring after a while. People apparently don't understand that these things take time. At least this one will turn out great. Can't wait for it.

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Great news. Kwai, Lawrence and Passage all have innerconnecting visual themes and to finally have them all on blu ray will just have to mean many a weekend will pass without getting any yardwork done.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5025

The gift set includes a 32-page book with photos and stories from the 1957 souvenir book, and replicas of original lobby cards.

All-new special features include:
  • Never-before-released archival footage of The Steve Allen Show with William Holden
  • William Holden-narrated Premiere audio with photos
  • Graphics-in-Picture track: Crossing the Bridge

Can't wait for this one although I would have loved am audio commentary for this one

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Those box sets with pictures, books and other things must be selling well. Warner was the only one doing it, then Paramount jumped in with The African Queen and now Sony with this release. Maybe The Sound Of Music will have a puppet included and Ben-Hur will have a chariot. White Christmas could have some fake snow.

All of this for humor only. I like the looks of the Kwai box set.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Sony issued digibooks before : Midnight Express, Silverado, Dr Strangelove

You are so right, but the gift set includes much more than those digibooks, such as stills and a book. Take a look at the marketing. My comment was on other studios besides Warner's jumping on the gift sets with bunches of stills, and reproductions of books or premiere programs such as Sony is doing with this release.

We all know about Gone With The Wind, The Wizard Of Oz, Casablanca, Woodstock, Paramount's The African Queen and now we have The Bridge Over the River Kwai. As you can see, it is much more than just a digibook, the only thing lacking is a model of the bridge.

5025.jpg

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Quote:

My comment was on other studios besides Warner's jumping on the gift sets with bunches of stills, and reproductions of books or premiere programs such as Sony is doing with this release.

I would hardly compare Sony's stretegy with that of Warner, who would release the Gift Set with a high price, and that would be the only option. Sony may be releasing only a Gift Set, but pricing it inline with normal blu-ray releases takes the extortion factor out of it.

[SIZE= 10px]Fine print: Yes I know Warner released cheaper editions months later, but prices are still high for anything but a bare bones edition.[/SIZE]

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronMK

Quote:

I would hardly compare Sony's stretegy with that of Warner, who would release the Gift Set with a high price, and that would be the only option. Sony may be releasing only a Gift Set, but pricing it inline with normal blu-ray releases takes the extortion factor out of it.

[SIZE= 10px]Fine print: Yes I know Warner released cheaper editions months later, but prices are still high for anything but a bare bones edition.[/SIZE]

I have to agree. Let's have a round of applause for Sony.

Of course, that doesn't change my mind about all that extra stuff being landfill bait. I'll be throwing the extra book and lobby cards in the trash.

Still, let's hear it for Sony not getting into the "extortion factor" business!

jerauf

Agent
Real Name
Jeremy Aufderheide
I remove all of my discs from their original packaging and put them in slimlines on my shelves. One, they take up less space. And two, they look orderly. All of my original packages are in a box in the basement. Can't stand all of this additional "stuff" that they cram into these to make them seem special. Just gives us the movie and be done with it. Use the money sunk into creating this stuff...and release more discs!!!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by AaronMK

Quote:

We are more than likely on the same page, but it is not the price point I am talking about, it is all that extra stuff in a larger size box, It seems that the extras do add additional buyers to the the film or they would not continue to do these types of releases. That was my point. Evidently Warners and Paramount have been successful in their releases with extra souvenirs (I will not call it junk) to some of their titles (GWTW, WofOZ. Woodstock, Casablanca, African Queen), that Sony is trying it also. Anything that will increase the sales of the title I am for. While I personally do not care for all the extras. (I do have the passport cover from Casablanca somewhere) If a guy in Gary IN will buy The Bridge On The River Kwai because of the stills, then thank you.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't mind a book being included with a film that has an important place in American film history. It just should meet two conditions:

1) Be relevant and provide useful and interesting information regarding the film and its making.

2) Be tastefully and professionally presented.

The book in this set appears to fail somewhat in the second respect. Exactly why does a quote from the text have to be presented in giant red block letters splashed across two page?. It looks garish and interrupts the flow of the text. I'd prefer that they just present it like a standard historical text interspersed with photos relevant to the text on the page.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The real question is whther or not it's being true to the original souvenir programme by doing so; if not, your point is entirely valid, but I have seen souvenir programmes that have done this.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The real question is whther or not it's being true to the original souvenir programme by doing so....

I didn't think of it from that angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks