Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bridge On The River Kwai on 11/2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 of 49 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 13 2010 - 10:02 PM

I noticed that the Film Forum in NYC will be showing a new 4K digital restoration of the film September 24 - 30 in its original aspect ratio of 2:55:1 for the first time since its original release per the ad. Is anyone in the know about this restoration and does it mean the film will soon be released in blu-ray?

http://www.filmforum...l88_FINAL_3.pdf

#2 of 49 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted August 13 2010 - 10:34 PM

*cough*

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#3 of 49 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted August 13 2010 - 10:40 PM

great news.

I am needing a third job just to keep up /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#4 of 49 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,079 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 13 2010 - 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Garysb 

I noticed that the Film Forum in NYC will be showing a new 4K digital restoration of the film September 24 - 30 in its original aspect ratio of 2:55:1 for the first time since its original release per the ad. Is anyone in the know about this restoration and does it mean the film will soon be released in blu-ray?

http://www.filmforum...l88_FINAL_3.pdf

Yes, it's release date is in the very near future./img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 49 OFFLINE   jerauf

jerauf

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted August 16 2010 - 07:18 AM

Looks like the release date is 11/2.

#6 of 49 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted August 18 2010 - 10:05 AM

Enjoy

http://www.elpasotim...5443?source=rss

#7 of 49 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted August 18 2010 - 07:57 PM

Thanks Oscar.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 49 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted August 18 2010 - 11:20 PM

I'm glad to see that this movie is given the care it deserves. All the complaining (not necessarily only on this board) about Lawrence of Arabia still not being released gets boring after a while. People apparently don't understand that these things take time. At least this one will turn out great. Can't wait for it.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#9 of 49 OFFLINE   24fpssean

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted August 19 2010 - 03:36 AM

Great news. Kwai, Lawrence and Passage all have innerconnecting visual themes and to finally have them all on blu ray will just have to mean many a weekend will pass without getting any yardwork done.

“The cinema is an invention with no future…”     – Louis Lumière

#10 of 49 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted August 23 2010 - 07:35 AM

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5025

The gift set includes a 32-page book with photos and stories from the 1957 souvenir book, and replicas of original lobby cards.

All-new special features include:

• Never-before-released archival footage of The Steve Allen Show with William Holden
  • William Holden-narrated Premiere audio with photos
  • Graphics-in-Picture track: Crossing the Bridge

Can't wait for this one although I would have loved am audio commentary for this one

#11 of 49 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,856 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 23 2010 - 08:54 AM

Those box sets with pictures, books and other things must be selling well.  Warner was the only one doing it, then Paramount jumped in with The African Queen and now Sony with this release.  Maybe The Sound Of Music will have a puppet included and Ben-Hur will have a chariot.  White Christmas could have some fake snow.

All of this for humor only.  I like the looks of the Kwai box set.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#12 of 49 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted August 23 2010 - 09:11 AM

Sony issued digibooks before : Midnight Express, Silverado, Dr Strangelove

#13 of 49 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,856 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 23 2010 - 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

Sony issued digibooks before : Midnight Express, Silverado, Dr Strangelove

You are so right, but the gift set includes much more than those digibooks, such as stills and a book.  Take a look at the marketing.  My comment was on other studios besides Warner's jumping on the gift sets with bunches of stills, and reproductions of books or premiere programs such as Sony is doing with this release.

We all know about Gone With The Wind, The Wizard Of Oz, Casablanca, Woodstock, Paramount's The African Queen and now we have The Bridge Over the River Kwai.  As you can see, it is much more than just a digibook, the only thing lacking is a model of the bridge.

Posted Image

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#14 of 49 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted August 29 2010 - 07:14 PM

Quote:

My comment was on other studios besides Warner's jumping on the gift sets with bunches of stills, and reproductions of books or premiere programs such as Sony is doing with this release.

I would hardly compare Sony's stretegy with that of Warner, who would release the Gift Set with a high price, and that would be the only option.  Sony may be releasing only a Gift Set, but pricing it inline with normal blu-ray releases takes the extortion factor out of it.

Fine print: Yes I know Warner released cheaper editions months later, but prices are still high for anything but a bare bones edition.

#15 of 49 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 913 posts

Posted August 30 2010 - 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronMK 

Quote:

I would hardly compare Sony's stretegy with that of Warner, who would release the Gift Set with a high price, and that would be the only option.  Sony may be releasing only a Gift Set, but pricing it inline with normal blu-ray releases takes the extortion factor out of it.

Fine print: Yes I know Warner released cheaper editions months later, but prices are still high for anything but a bare bones edition.

I have to agree. Let's have a round of applause for Sony.

Of course, that doesn't change my mind about all that extra stuff being landfill bait. I'll be throwing the extra book and lobby cards in the trash.

Still, let's hear it for Sony not getting into the "extortion factor" business!

#16 of 49 OFFLINE   jerauf

jerauf

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted August 30 2010 - 01:05 AM

I remove all of my discs from their original packaging and put them in slimlines on my shelves. One, they take up less space. And two, they look orderly. All of my original packages are in a box in the basement. Can't stand all of this additional "stuff" that they cram into these to make them seem special. Just gives us the movie and be done with it. Use the money sunk into creating this stuff...and release more discs!!!

#17 of 49 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,856 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 30 2010 - 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by AaronMK 

Quote:

We are more than likely on the same page, but it is not the price point I am talking about, it is all that extra stuff in a larger size box,  It seems that the extras do add additional buyers to the the film or they would not continue to do these types of releases.  That was my point.  Evidently Warners and Paramount have been successful in their releases with extra souvenirs (I will not call it junk) to some of their titles (GWTW, WofOZ. Woodstock, Casablanca, African Queen), that Sony is trying it also.  Anything that will increase the sales of the title I am for. While I personally do not care for all the extras. (I do have the passport cover from Casablanca somewhere) If a guy in Gary IN will buy The Bridge On The River Kwai because of the stills, then thank you.

#18 of 49 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,715 posts

Posted August 30 2010 - 04:39 AM

I don't mind a book being included with a film that has an important place in American film history. It just should meet two conditions:

1) Be relevant and provide useful and interesting information regarding the film and its making.

2) Be tastefully and professionally presented.

The book in this set appears to fail somewhat in the second respect. Exactly why does a quote from the text have to be presented in giant red block letters splashed across two page?. It looks garish and interrupts the flow of the text. I'd prefer that they just present it like a standard historical text interspersed with photos relevant to the text on the page.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#19 of 49 ONLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,076 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 30 2010 - 10:28 AM

The real question is whther or not it's being true to the original souvenir programme by doing so; if not, your point is entirely valid, but I have seen souvenir programmes that have done this.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#20 of 49 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,715 posts

Posted August 30 2010 - 04:55 PM

The real question is whther or not it's being true to the original souvenir programme by doing so....

I didn't think of it from that angle.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."