-

Photo
- - - - -

Stupidest Reason For Selecting One TV Over Another

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted August 13 2010 - 03:44 AM

Yesterday, while shopping for a new computer case at Fry's Electronics, I heard what is perhaps the stupidest reason for selecting one TV over another. Fry's just got in the new Mitsubishi DLP 3D televisions, and had one on display at the entrance to the store. A salesman was talking to a customer, and I picked up a pair of glasses to see how it compared to Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic. The salesman said he was in the process of getting new batteries, so the glasses were not currently working. When the salesman left to grab some batteries for the glasses, I struck up a conversation with the customer, telling him that I thought that the Panasonic plasmas had the best 3D and overall picture quality over anything else I've seen so far.

This was his response:

Sure, the Panasonic 3D plasma has a better picture and better 3D, but the Mitsubishi DLP 3D has less of a gap between the wall and the TV in the cubby hole I have my TV in now. The Panasonic would give me a 1/2 inch gap, while the Mitsubishi would give me only a 1/4 inch gap. It's an aesthetic thing. 

/img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_jawdrop.gif

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted August 13 2010 - 10:27 AM

ha...

i hear stuff like that all the time!!

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted August 14 2010 - 10:27 AM

Mitsubishi recommends allowing at least 4 inches of clearance all around the set for ventilation./img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted August 14 2010 - 07:17 PM

This is an example of what happens when you want those pretty cabinets.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 15 2010 - 12:48 AM

What was my sister doing in Newport Beach, and why was she dressed in drag?  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Regards,

Joe

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   robbbb1138

robbbb1138

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted August 30 2010 - 08:44 AM

1/2 inch versus 1/4 inch is stupid, but that's something I'm sure my parents would say.  I at least get picking TVs to fit an entertainment system though, since our system in our living room was part of a $3,000 set and it absolutely won't fit any TV models that are 60" or more.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted August 31 2010 - 11:17 AM

Last Saturday afternoon a customer asked which sets came on instantly.  Said that when he wanted to watch tv he didn't want to have to wait 10-15 seconds for the picture to appear.

Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   robbbb1138

robbbb1138

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted August 31 2010 - 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Schaffer 

Last Saturday afternoon a customer asked which sets came on instantly.  Said that when he wanted to watch tv he didn't want to have to wait 10-15 seconds for the picture to appear.

CNET needs to start including that in their reviews.  

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 04 2010 - 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Schaffer 

Yeah, I keep looking for a car like that.  I don't have all minute for the engine to turn over.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Joe

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted September 07 2010 - 06:37 AM

I was shopping for an entertainment center type of furniture thing, and had my tape measure with me.  NOT ONE of the available furniture type things at any of the stores really tripped my trigger, and nearly none of them would fit my speakers (who wants speakers inside cabinets, anyway?)  Many of the furniture type things had shelves that were too narrow for standard consumer electronics!  One had drawers for your movies, but the drawers were smaller than the DVD and BR cases.  WThuh?

The kicker? Nearly every sales puke I talked to suggested that I get different equipment so that it would fit.  One or two mentioned how great their neighbor's (insert name of despised audio gear here) system sounds and looks.

In the end, I blew six grand on bedroom furniture and dining room furniture and home office furniture, but not a penny on my theater.  I told the salesman (a very nice guy who gave us a great deal) that my theater sound system cost more than the truckload of furniture I bought!

...sometimes you can only laugh...Now, off to the shed to get some concrete blocks and old doors...

--ignore the man behind the curtain

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   safesinger

safesinger

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted September 10 2010 - 07:47 AM

Are there really stupid reasons though?

I mean if i'm spending my $$ I want what I want. Even if it seems trivial to one person it may mean everything to that person spending thier hard earned money.