-

Photo

MGM Press Release: All-New MGM Movie Collection Multi-Features Available Just In Time for the Holiday Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 of 56 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,700 posts

Posted August 12 2010 - 09:32 AM

MGM HOME ENTERTAINMENT DELIVERS INCREDIBLE VALUE WITH EXPANSIVE LINE OF MULTI-FEATURES

All-New MGM Movie Collection Multi-Features Available Just In Time for the Holiday Season

LOS ANGELES, CA (August 12, 2010) – MGM Home Entertainment today announced that it will be launching a bold new line of multi-features to reveal the MGM movie library as it has never been seen before. Beginning October 5th, fans can purchase blockbuster titles in packs of two, three, four, six and ten, offering hours of home entertainment at an affordable price.

MGM Movie Collection multi-features will be grouped into 18 genres, including action, comedy, romance, westerns, kids and sci-fi, along with classics, drama, thriller, mystery, horror, war, 80’s, sports, urban, family, musicals and the ever popular Midnite Movies. These clever groupings allow customers to purchase movies that are enjoyable together at a cost that is well below what would be paid if they bought each title separately.

“We are committed to delivering the classic and contemporary movies fans cherish at an incredible value,” said Eric Doctorow, General Manager, MGM Worldwide at Fox. “MGM Movie Collection multi-features unleash the renowned MGM movie library and make it easier for customers to access the titles they love at an affordable price.”

Featuring an assortment of award-nominated films, the new multi-features include Academy Award&reg nominated sports classics such as Hoosiers (1986) starring Gene Hackman and Bull Durham (1988) with Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins. Other featured titles being released include comedy hits such as Overboard (1987) starring Goldie Hawn; sci-fi hits such as the Academy Award&reg nominated film War Games (1983), along with Hackers (1995) starring Angelina Jolie; 80’s hits such asWeekend at Bernie’s (1989) and Valley Girl (1983) starring Nicolas Cage; and action films such as Ronin (1998) starring Robert De Niro and Walking Tall (2004) starring The Rock. In addition, this innovative new packaging strategy provides deeper accessibility into the renowned MGM library, enabling MGM to reintroduce hard-to-find movie gems into mass retail accounts.

Showcasing a fresh, bold design in eye-catching colors, the all-new multi-features offer one to five discs in a single amaray footprint, with two movies on one flipper disc when possible. In addition, the launch of the MGM Movie Collection multi-features will include a refreshed MGM Kid’s logo.

MGM will release 68 new multi-features in Q4, with suggested retail pricing as follows:

• Double Feature at a suggested retail price of $14.98 U.S./$15.98 Canada
  • Triple Feature at a suggested retail price of $19.98 U.S./$21.98 Canada
  • Quad at a suggested retail price of $22.98 U.S./$26.98 Canada
  • 6-Pack at a suggested retail price of $29.98 U.S./$37.98 Canada
  • 10-Pack at a suggested retail price of $34.98 U.S./$39.98 Canada
  •  

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 56 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted August 13 2010 - 07:43 AM

Is this just more of MGM repackaging titles which have already been available? Does "enabling MGM to reintroduce hard-to-find movie gems into mass retail accounts" just mean they're pushing titles already on the market? I don't see any titles mentioned here tha already have been out on DVD.

It's good to see the Midnite Movies mentioned here in a favorable light, but does that mean we'll get some new ones after three years of nothing?

#3 of 56 borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 835 posts

Posted August 13 2010 - 09:52 AM

Same old stuff . BS .

#4 of 56 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,966 posts

Posted August 13 2010 - 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by AlanBrom 

Is this just more of MGM repackaging titles which have already been available? Does "enabling MGM to reintroduce hard-to-find movie gems into mass retail accounts" just mean they're pushing titles already on the market? I don't see any titles mentioned here tha already have been out on DVD.

It's good to see the Midnite Movies mentioned here in a favorable light, but does that mean we'll get some new ones after three years of nothing?

Seems to me it's going to be mutli-title discs of the same old stuff. Be interesting how they'll group the Midnight Movies together.

#5 of 56 mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts

Posted August 13 2010 - 12:19 PM

I wouldn't even expect new transfers, just the same old discs with a new paper sleeve.

#6 of 56 Camps

Camps

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted August 13 2010 - 02:03 PM

Far be it from me to tell studios how to run their business... but it looks like the same ol' same-ol'.  One of these days I'd like to see the majors try to dip into their vaults for something they haven't already released (in some cases 3 dozen times...)

#7 of 56 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted August 13 2010 - 02:21 PM

Just in time for the holidays??? MGM, you might as well take 100s of DVDs I bought from your company, when you actually released unreleased catalog titles, wrap them together, and give them back to me as a Christmas present! Once again, thanks for nothing!

#8 of 56 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted August 13 2010 - 03:09 PM

Really, who are they think their audience is?

#9 of 56 mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts

Posted August 13 2010 - 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mike*HTF 

Really, who are they think their audience is?

Well, these kind of packages just scream Walmart, Target, etc., so I presume the Walmart crowd is their audience.  Not that it does us a lick of good.

#10 of 56 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted August 14 2010 - 10:03 AM

If the Midnite movies are "ever popular" than why hasn't there been any new ones since Fall of 2007?

#11 of 56 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted August 15 2010 - 06:55 AM

GIve MGM a break, the company is a financal mess, we are lucky they are releasing anything at all.  This could be great for the bottom line, many people (walmart) can buy these films - not everyone is a film buff and most people probably don't own these titles, so if it increases sales and helps save the company - that would be great

#12 of 56 Camps

Camps

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted August 15 2010 - 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

GIve MGM a break, the company is a financal mess, we are lucky they are releasing anything at all.  This could be great for the bottom line, many people (walmart) can buy these films - not everyone is a film buff and most people probably don't own these titles, so if it increases sales and helps save the company - that would be great

They're in financial trouble so they should ignore their enthusiasts.  Flawless logic.

Listen, I'm the first to appreciate what MGM has released so far on DVD.  They've been great.  But leaving the vault untapped is hardly a strategy for staving off bankruptcy.

#13 of 56 borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 835 posts

Posted August 15 2010 - 04:11 PM

I still would like new to dvd titles .

#14 of 56 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,910 posts

Posted August 16 2010 - 03:09 AM

MGM has a number of films that have gone OOP that I still would like to get: Brannigan, The Four Feathers, The Raven, Comedy of Terrors, etc.  As for the midnight movies, is there really anything new left to release.  I figure if you are releasing Alien from L.A. and The Man with Two Heads you must have hit the bottom of the barrel.

What I really would like to see in terms of new to DVD would be James Garner's Marlowe.  Does MGM own that?  (Marlowe, Grand Prix and Support Your Local Sherriff were produced by Cherokee Productions but Grand Prix is on Warner and Support Yoiur Local Sherriff is on MGM).  MGM: release a four pack of Marlowe, Support Your Local Sherriff, Support Your Local Gunfighter, and Brannigan and you will make my day.

#15 of 56 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted August 16 2010 - 03:33 AM

As far as Midnite Movies are concerned, there are plenty of unreleased possibilities including MASTER OF THE WORLD, BURN WITCH BURN, BLAST-OFF, DR GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS, BLACK SABBATH (aip cut), THE CRIMSON CULT, HORROR HOUSE, THE HOUSE THAT SCREAMED, OCTA-MAN, DIARY OF A MADMAN, FUTUREWORLD, BLOOD BATH, QUEEN OF BLOOD, BLOOD AND LACE, DAUGHTERS OF SATAN, PACIFIC VIBRATIONS, DEVILS ANGELS, ANGELS FROM HELL, RIOT ON SUNSET STRIP, SEARGENT DEADHEAD, SUGAR HILL, THE VIDEO DEAD, TERROVISION, THE BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW, CRUCIBLE OF HORROR, CAULDRON OF BLOOD, THE HARD RIDE, OLD DRACULA, THE BLACK SLEEP, CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN, BEAST OF THE HOLLOW MOUNTAIN, etc, etc, etc.

#16 of 56 kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted August 16 2010 - 04:07 AM

I shop at wal mart. I also like classic movies. I believe that MGM going the dvd r method for classics is the best way. We are beyond the target audience for these films. I guess I am old at 43.

#17 of 56 Camps

Camps

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted August 16 2010 - 04:10 AM

As far as Midnite Movies are concerned, there are plenty of unreleased possibilities including MASTER OF THE WORLD, BURN WITCH BURN, BLAST-OFF, DR GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS, BLACK SABBATH (aip cut), THE CRIMSON CULT, HORROR HOUSE, THE HOUSE THAT SCREAMED, OCTA-MAN, DIARY OF A MADMAN, FUTUREWORLD, BLOOD BATH, QUEEN OF BLOOD, BLOOD AND LACE, DAUGHTERS OF SATAN, PACIFIC VIBRATIONS, DEVILS ANGELS, ANGELS FROM HELL, RIOT ON SUNSET STRIP, SEARGENT DEADHEAD, SUGAR HILL, THE VIDEO DEAD, TERROVISION, THE BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW, CRUCIBLE OF HORROR, CAULDRON OF BLOOD, THE HARD RIDE, OLD DRACULA, THE BLACK SLEEP, CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN, BEAST OF THE HOLLOW MOUNTAIN, etc, etc, etc.

Pharaoh's Curse ('57), The Minotaur ('61), Dr Blood's Coffin ('61), Macumba Love ('61), The Lost Missile ('58), The Flame Barrier ('57), The Snake Woman ('61), The Flight that Disappeared ('61)...

.... And this doesn't even include the many untapped '50s/'60s crime/noir/cold war titles...

Maybe MGM could check with its brethren at Warners to see how the WB Archives program is doing(?)  If it's been profitable for WB (hopefully), why not try it where the lion roars...?

#18 of 56 AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted August 16 2010 - 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Camps 

Pharaoh's Curse ('57), The Minotaur ('61), Dr Blood's Coffin ('61), Macumba Love ('61), The Lost Missile ('58), The Flame Barrier ('57), The Snake Woman ('61), The Flight that Disappeared ('61)...

Â
.... And this doesn't even include the many untapped '50s/'60s crime/noir/cold war titles...

Â
Maybe MGM could check with its brethren at Warners to see how the WB Archives program is doing(?)  If it's been profitable for WB (hopefully), why not try it where the lion roars...?

Oh yeah! And also THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT/CREEPING UNKNOWN, THE NEANDERTHAL MAN, BEYOND THE TIME BARRIER, and THE TIME TRAVELERS

#19 of 56 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,708 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 16 2010 - 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Camps   

They are trying it out right now at Amazon called the MGM Limited Edition Collection.  It has been very spotty with success.  Some titles are great such as White Buffalo, but most are letterboxed non-anamorphic such as Cold Turkey and The Best Man, or pan-scan such as Fitzwilly.  They need to follow Warner's approach and try to at least present the film in the correct aspect ratio and anamorphic.  

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#20 of 56 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,872 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted August 16 2010 - 08:16 AM

Crucible of Horror ( the 1971 British film) will be landing a release this Fall through Severin Films.