-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Our Gang DVD source

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 stymie222

stymie222

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted August 11 2010 - 02:47 PM

I am looking for the hard to find "Our Gang" videos on DVD.

Our Gang, not to be confused with The Little Rascals, were made at the Hal Roach studio from the 20's to 30's.

Many of the offerings on the web or at stores, have both titles mixed, and never just the complete Hal Roach "Our Gang". They include a very young Jackie Cooper, Mary Ann, Chubby, very young Stymie and Spanky. Many of these are missing from current and past offerings

Some were even silent. All of these were hysterical. Are they lost or being witheld ?

Thanks

#2 of 9 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted August 11 2010 - 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by stymie222 

Our Gang, not to be confused with The Little Rascals...

I'm not confused.

Here's the Wiki entry:
Our Gang, also known as The Little Rascals or Hal Roach's Rascals, was a series of American comedy short films about a group of poor neighborhood childrenand the adventures they had together. Created by comedy producer Hal RoachOur Gang was produced at the Roach studio starting in 1922 as a silent short subject series. Roach changed distributors from Pathé to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) in 1927, went to sound in 1929 and continued production until 1938, when he sold the series to MGM. MGM in turn continued producing the comedies until 1944.

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#3 of 9 stymie222

stymie222

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted August 12 2010 - 12:53 AM

Your reply includes what I was saying-

"Our Gang was produced at the Roach studio starting in 1922 as a silent short subject series"

Every movie title in the begining, until about 1938 was "Our Gang". "Little Rascals" was used later on.

Any one have a source ?

#4 of 9 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted August 12 2010 - 11:13 AM

stymie,

You've lost me.

I presume you found your way to the abundant offerings of Our Gang/Little Rascals DVDs at Amazon.

You have stated that the titles are not to be confused, I, Wikipedia, and many of those box sets assert that they are one and the same.

What am I (or you) missing?

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#5 of 9 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,689 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 12 2010 - 11:43 PM

How do you get them all?

I have the Genius set and I'm nearly done with them. Would love whatever isn't included...

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#6 of 9 stymie222

stymie222

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted August 14 2010 - 12:07 PM

I think this Email from Leonard Maltin clears up what I have been trying to say. And I believe that for the 23 years of production, there are many "Our Gang" shorts still missing.  (From Leonard Maltin, Movie Crazy)- moviecrazymail@pacbell.net

Hi… the series was always known as OUR GANG during the 23 years it ran in theaters. Sometimes the main titles said “Hal Roach presents His Rascals in an Our Gang comedy.”  It was only when the original Hal Roach shorts were reissued, and sold to TV, that they had to change the name to THELITTLE RASCALS because Roach had sold the name “Our Gang” to MGM. And that’s that!  If you’re really interested in more of this history, my book on The Little Rascals is still in print and available from amazon.com.  cheers, Leonard 

#7 of 9 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,689 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:06 AM

I have the Genius set and the MGM set now. Where does one get all the silent ones? I noticed Archive.org has quite a few. Is that the best place to get them currently?
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#8 of 9 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted December 03 2012 - 12:50 PM

Yes, that's the best place to get them currently. I read somewhere last year that Genius was working on releasing the silents but I haven't heard anything else about it. I have the complete volumes of Genius. I need to get the WB Our Gang Set. Would also like to see Captain Spanky released.

#9 of 9 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,689 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 11:29 PM

I have that WB set. It's wonderful! Those are oft criticized, but you won't catch me doing that. I'll start downloading those silents from archive.org soon. If that's the only place... :( I also read someone was going to do a set of the Silents but nothing ever came of it. Seems like all talk about those ended in 2008.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users