What's new

3D How to Train Your Dragon 3D will be exclusive to Samsung (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
RIDGEFIELD PARK, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Samsung Electronics America, Inc., a market leader and award-winning innovator in consumer electronics, today announced the exclusive availability of the 3D Blu-ray version of DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc.’s (NASDAQ: DWA) global 3D blockbuster, How To Train Your Dragon. The 3D BD will be featured in Samsung’s 3D starter kit, which also includes two pairs of Samsung 3D glasses for at-home viewing.
"Samsung and DreamWorks Animation bring together the best creative talent in animation and the strongest 3D TV technology in order to offer a new dimension of home entertainment. We believe that 3D TV adoption at home will increase as more global 3D hits, such as ‘How To Train Your Dragon’ are made available to the consumer for 3D home viewing,” said John Revie, senior vice president of Home Entertainment, Samsung Electronics America, Inc. “We look forward to a continued collaboration with DreamWorks Animation to deliver such rich content to the living room.”
“We are pleased once again to extend our ongoing alliance with Samsung – whose commitment to providing the highest quality out-of-the-box 3D experience at home is unparalleled in the consumer electronics industry – so that DreamWorks Animation fans will soon be able to enjoy a premium version of How To Train Your Dragon in 3D Blu-ray,” added John Batter, Co-President of Production at DreamWorks Animation. How To Train Your Dragon has surpassed $480 million at the worldwide box office to date and is among the top ten movies of 2010, on both a domestic and a worldwide basis. The 3D Blu-ray version will be made available for Samsung 3D TV owners to enjoy at home this fall. It joins Monsters vs. Aliens as the second DreamWorks Animation 3D BD title available exclusively to Samsung 3D TV owners and later in the fourth quarter, Samsung will also make available an exclusive offering of DreamWorks Animation’s beloved Shrek film series – all four titles in 3D Blu-ray for the first time ever.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
This movie was very well done in 3-D, and though I'm not in a position to buy 3D equipment for home viewing yet, if I were to buy this title I would of course want to future-proof myself and get the 3-D version so I can start building a small 3-D library. Sorry Dreamworks, by making the 3-D version an exclusive pack-in, you just cost yourself a sale. Maybe I'll buy it someday when it is generally released, but who knows?

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Quote:

We believe that 3D TV adoption at home will increase as more global 3D hits, such as ‘How To Train Your Dragon’ are made available to the consumer for 3D home viewing.

For all practical purposes, having to buy a $350 starter kit or a TV to get a single movie is not really making it available. Therefore, I fail to see what relevance this statement has to the announcement.

koufax

Auditioning
Real Name
Huckelsberry
3D is the biggest scam to come along in quite some time. It is a huge money grab by the movie makers and home theater equipment manufactures have jumped right onto the band wagon. Don't fall for this one folks. Do you really want to pay more, 40% more, to see a movie? I don't. Do you want to buy all new equipment at home and have to were glasses while watching a movie or tv show? I don't. And neither do you i'm guessing. Just say no to this.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow, Ron. That's a pretty strong anti-sales pitch for 3D.

I tend to see the situation quite the opposite.

I have been carefully following 3D television for the past

three years through very private and exclusive showings

with Panasonic. Even three years ago, when I first watched

3D content on a plasma display, I was immediately won

over. I couldn't wait until the technology was available

for consumers.

I feel no differently today than I did then. I think that

watching content in 3D lends to an entirely new exciting

visual experience that once most people see -- they are

going to want to own.

Frankly, I think the biggest naysayers out there are
those that never watched 3D content on one of these

displays. It's so much easier to spout negativity about

what one might perceive to be expensive and unnecessary

technology, that is, until they actually see it.

3D television goes beyond movies and content that

wave objects in front of your face. I have seen live-action

content (such as the opening of the Olympics in China)

that look incredibly life-like thanks to stunning depth-of-field

that the technology provides.

Quite frankly, I think the public has spoken. Audiences

are flocking to 3D movies. Preorders on 3D displays are

through the roof. Most television providers (DirecTV,

Comcast and Verizon) will be adding 3D channels this

Summer and Fall. This hardly sounds anything like a scam

to me.

Those who don't want to watch 3D in theaters won't pay to go.

Those that don't want to spend a lot of money on 3D displays

will wait for prices to come down. Those that don't want to
wear glasses will wait another 5+ years for new technology

that will give us 3D without eyewear -- that is, if it's as good

as what is available now.

I would actually hope that you have spent some considerable

time actually watching various amounts of good 3D content

in your home before you began waving that sign warning people

not to buy into the scam.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I recently ponied up for one of the new Samsung Plasma 3D sets, the 63" 8000 series.

I'm having a blast with it. Tons of settings, 3D on it is incredible and tons of internet apps. I love it.

My starter kit came with the MvA 3D blu-ray and glasses.

I sure wish Samsung would reward us early buyers by providing us an opportunity to purchase the HTTYD 3D blu-ray. I (and my family) would really like to own this one and view it on our Samsung 3D set.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Home 3D TV is going to have to be better than what they have in movie theaters today before I buy into it.

I've been looking forward to seeing HtTyD in 2D ever since I saw it in the theater (in 3D). :) I'm also very happy to see that the bonus movie from the DVD 2-pack will be included in the regular BD edition.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
These exclusives will hinder Blu-Ray 3D more than help. Why? Isn't it obvious; by making them exclusive to one manufacturer or another, you have effectively cut off a portion of your viewing audience. If BD 3D is going to take off, there needs to be standalone software out there to purchase. Last time I checked, the only BD 3D title available for purchase by the general public was Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. That's rather pathetic.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

These exclusives will hinder Blu-Ray 3D more than help. Why? Isn't it obvious; by making them exclusive to one manufacturer or another, you have effectively cut off a portion of your viewing audience. If BD 3D is going to take off, there needs to be standalone software out there to purchase. Last time I checked, the only BD 3D title available for purchase by the general public was Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. That's rather pathetic.

I totally agree.

Jason-

I'm waiting for work back from Samsung if people who bought a set with MvA will be able to purchase HTTYD as well. I haven't heard back yet.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Thanks Adam for checking on that. Let us know if/when you find out something.

bobcam1

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Cammer
Jeff....a month has passed and I'm just wondering if Samsung has replied, yet?

Dirkblack

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Sly
Hey everyone, just joined so be gentle, I was just wondering if anyone knew if this was to be released in the U.K at any point, as we are really being let down atm, and i was really looking forward to this.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I finally got a chance to try out a home 3D set (at Costco, of all places).

It was OK but not spectacular. I don't see myself buying in any time soon.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Samsung sucks as far as post-sale customer support anyway. They were plenty happy to just leave all us 3D-ready DLP customers behind w/ no reasonable upgrade path to the newly adopted 3D format used in 3D BD and elsewhere. I wouldn't hold my breath about trying to buy HTTYD on 3D BD directly from them if I were you.

I think I will probably steer clear of Samsung's TV offerings in the future -- no, not just because of this relatively minor issue w/ 3D support, but w/ other build/design/parts quality issues that I'm seeing on the net (and also experienced firsthand w/ my in-laws' old DLP). Maybe they will improve in time, but right now, they do not look so hot to me.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks