What's new

"Skyline" - New Alien Invasion Film (1 Viewer)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit

Interesting film from Universal about mass human abductions from alien invaders.

You can watch the trailer here: LINK

Here's the official movie website: LINK

[SIZE= 12px]The good news:[/SIZE]

1) It's an alien invasion film. They don't make too many of them for theatrical release so when they do, I'm automatically interested.

2) It's an interesting plot: [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]In the sci-fi thriller Skyline, strange lights descend on the city of Los Angeles, drawing people outside like moths to a flame where an extraterrestrial force threatens to swallow the entire human population off the face of the Earth.[/COLOR]

[SIZE= 12px]The bad news: [/SIZE]

1) It's from the Strause Bros. who directed "Alien vs Predator: Requiem". I still don't know if that was a good film because when I saw it, I couldn't see much onscreen because it was so DARK!

2) CGI looks "iffy". I'm not sure if it's because of my PC (it's old and can't play apple trailers so I had to watch from a poor source) or if because the film is still in post production and they're still tweaking it.

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
the quality is very good in hd. human vacuum cleaners, definitely an interesting concept!

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
Looks fun, but did the makers of that trailer just get their hands on the Transformers Sound Effects and Titles library? They didn't even try to mask it.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
when we saw scott pilgram this weekend i turned to my nephew and asked, 'a transformers 3 trailer already?'. the font and sounds completely threw me off .

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Found this new trailer on YouTube. Well, it looks impressive. So, I understand this was directed by the brothers who gave us that disappointing ALIEN VS. PREDATOR: REQUIEM . . . I hope this is the apology.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Basically looks like a reprise of Independence Day. Only this time it looks like they would like to eat us, instead of just plain enslave and destroy us. It looks like the usual silliness, like gnat-sized jet fighters taking down mile long, technologically advanced, alien ships. Still it might be worth seeing for a few laughs.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Is it just me or are alien invasion flicks getting to overexposed, kind of like vampire flicks, I think. Both genres need to take some time out, and come back with something mindblowingly original.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFF

Is it just me or are alien invasion flicks getting to overexposed, kind of like vampire flicks, I think. Both genres need to take some time out, and come back with something mindblowingly original.

Having previously said this, I'm thinking, now, that I may check this flick out when it opens. I'm ashamed to admit, it kinda grows on ya. No pun intended.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"Is it just me or are alien invasion flicks getting to overexposed, kind of like vampire flicks, I think."

It hasn't run its course just yet. I was on the bus the other day, sitting next to a kid in a suit, and he was yakking on his cell phone about how he was working on the script for an alien invasion movie set to star Mark Wahlberg...

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I'm probably just having a brain fart, but I can't think of that many major alien invasion movies from recent years. Cloverfield, maybe? What else?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I can never have enough alien invasion or vamp films. Keep bringing them on!

I do hope that this film is rated 'R', and not PG-13.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
District 9, Transformers 1 & 2, Monsters Vs. Aliens, Signs, War of the Worlds.

Coming out soon or in pre-production: Monsters, I Am Number Four, Battle: Los Angeles, Paul, The Thing (prequel), Cowboys & Aliens, The Darkest Hour, Super 8, Iron Sky, Battleship (yes, it reportedly features aliens!), Men In Black 3D,

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by Ron-P

I do hope that this film is rated 'R', and not PG-13.

I've never really understood why some people are so attached to a film getting a certain rating. Of course I don't like a movie to be watered-down just to receive a particular rating, but I think it's just as bad to include graphic content gratuitously. I recall folks around here (though not you specifically, Ron) bashing the ads for The Happening a couple of years ago because it was advertised as "Shyamalan's first R-rated movie!" as if that were the most interesting thing about it.

Personally, some of the scariest, most intense, and most suspenseful movies, in my opinion, are rated PG or PG-13: Cloverfield, The Dark Knight, Poltergeist, and Signs are probably my favorite scary or intense movies. I wouldn't change a thing about them, including their rating.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"I've never really understood why some people are so attached to a film getting a certain rating."

As a fan of 80s, R rated action movies, it's very disappointing when a studio takes on a subject with adult sensibilities or subject matter, but makes it "safe" to get the younger audience. I'm an adult and it's tough to find an action movie made for adults because the studios are chasing dollars.

"Of course I don't like a movie to be watered-down just to receive a particular rating, but I think it's just as bad to include graphic content gratuitously."

I think it's a rare thing to beef up to get an R rating. Mostly the studios are watering down projects.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Don Solosan

"I've never really understood why some people are so attached to a film getting a certain rating."

As a fan of 80s, R rated action movies, it's very disappointing when a studio takes on a subject with adult sensibilities or subject matter, but makes it "safe" to get the younger audience. I'm an adult and it's tough to find an action movie made for adults because the studios are chasing dollars.

"Of course I don't like a movie to be watered-down just to receive a particular rating, but I think it's just as bad to include graphic content gratuitously."

I think it's a rare thing to beef up to get an R rating. Mostly the studios are watering down projects.

Hmmm...I'm more worried about studios dumbing down to get more butts in seats, I couldn't care less about the rating due to violence or graphic content. I'm tired of DUMB action/SF flicks. The "adult" aspect I wish more movies would play up to is intelligence. Blood and gore for no good reason is playing to the cheap seats. I just wish action films in general aimed a little higher.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"The "adult" aspect I wish more movies would play up to is intelligence."

Intelligence is certainly a part of the puzzle, Claire. An adult sensibility isn't just gore, it's how you treat the subject. Adults can handle more complex and nuanced stories and characters than kids. For example, the ending of "Seven." The studio would have never gone with that ending if they were aiming for the PG-13 crowd, in my opinion.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Found a very cool theatrical poster of this on Dread Central.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had not known about this movie. Saw the trailer tonight on TV. It does remind me of ID4 and War of the Worlds. Then I read the Wiki entry on it and then I thought it was sort if like Night of the Comet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks