Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Battlestar Galactica Season Three - Recommended

TV Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 11:06 AM

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,067 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 01:32 PM

Having recently completed the entire series on Blu-ray I have a few comments. First, a very good review, Kevin.  I am very happy that you pointed out the stylistic choices that the director made that makes some scenes look grainer than others. ...however, I didn't find that to be a noticeable problem in Season 3 as I did in Season One. Season One was plagued with grain that you could tell was not artistically intended. ...but enough about Season One. Certainly no-one is going to pick up Season Three and begin their BSG experience here. And, those that already watched the first two seasons on Blu-ray are certainly going to opt to finish the story. Unfortunately, Season Three goes into a downward spiral soon after you get through its first third.  I found the first two seasons of BSG to be absolutely brilliant storytelling that seemed to be highly inventive and well planned out.  However, by the mid-end of Season Three you get the feeling that the writers just ran out of ideas. Very happy I chose to wait to purchase and experience this show on Blu-ray, though I do agree with Kevin that because of the style they chose to shoot this show, you never get the feeling that you are getting the benefit of the Blu-ray presentation. I would estimate, however, that the DVD version pales in comparison. For anyone that has never seen BSG, I implore you to watch one of the greatest Science Fiction series ever made.  For the first 2.5 seasons, the show is remarkably fantastic.  Wish they could have kept up that momentum through the very end.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted August 10 2010 - 02:01 PM

I agree with you completely Ron. The first 1/3 to 1/2 of season 3 was great! As we talked about in your thread, and i think others, an important plot had been dropped the last 1/2 of season 3, and they lost some story momentum. I dont think they had any good ideas in the short term to replace the plot that was cut. And it shows, as this season has my most hated episode! However, the first half of this season is so good, its still a keeper. Its THAT good. I already own 4.5, and didnt care for the first half of season 4 either. So my Galactica Blu collection is now complete!

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 04:52 PM

To be honest, I actually had a lot of issues with the 2nd half of Season 2 as well, after the Pegasus 3-parter, when they were doing a series of episodes that really didn't feel like things were moving forward much.  Things got better when they did "Downloaded", which was the first time in a while that I perked up at one of the eps, and then the finale was a jawdropper. I agree that the first half of Season 3 is much stronger than the 2nd half.  For story strength, the first four hours is great.  And the f midseason 2-parter at the Algae planet is good stuff too.  But I still think the best ep of the year is "The Passage" - simply because the character scenes are the best of the year. The second half of the year gets downright strange at times, and the choices that get made at the end lead to what felt truly odd in the 4th season.  But I do think things got paid off in an interesting way as they wound down to the close. Looking back, my favorite ep may still be in Season 2:  "Home, Pt 2".  The ending inside the Temple was truly inspired.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted August 11 2010 - 01:57 AM

*slightly off topic* I just recently finished up season 3 (Crossroads) of my complete series box set. I have yet to fire up season 4 and I'm wondering if the first episode of that season should be the next one I watch. I've read things about Razor and didn't know if that should be what comes next. My readings of various reviews has me very confused to the ordering of these episodes. I guess I'm asking if the blu-ray set does put them in the order in which they should be watched.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,019 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 11 2010 - 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Southpaw 

*slightly off topic*

I just recently finished up season 3 (Crossroads) of my complete series box set.
I have yet to fire up season 4 and I'm wondering if the first episode of that season should be the next one I watch.

The first episode of S4 picks up right where S3 ends. You could watch Razor (which takes place during S2) in between S3 and S4 if you wanted to though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews, TV Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users