Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New w/ speaker questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   snake

snake

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted August 09 2010 - 01:23 AM

Hey fellas! Found your site and thought I would ask a few questions to get some educated answers. I'm not new to the home theater area but I'm no pro either. I've got a small Sony surround system: DVD/CD changer, tuner, 1 aux in. Audio comes into it through RCA cables. Also have a 4-way splitter bringing audio in from PS3,PS2,VCR, N64.

I've been thinking about upgrading my speakers, new L and R mains, new center, new rears, new sub, but my question is if I start buying some better Pioneers and splicing the wires, will it work well?? I want to begin to make my setup sound more powerful and more real. I'd eventually like to get a new receiver and take the Sony out but that will have to be later, will it push bigger and better speakers for now??

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted August 09 2010 - 01:49 AM

We need more details about the Sony to give you an accurate answer.  It sounds like the Sony is a home theater in a box (HTiB) system since you mentioned "splicing" wires.  What is the impedance of your current speakers?  What is the impedance of the speakers you are looking at?  How many watts does the Sony push?  Is the sub active or passive?

Are you really looking at getting Pioneer speakers?  Really?

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   snake

snake

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted August 09 2010 - 02:02 AM

Imp. is 2.7 on all except 1.3 on the sub and it is passive.

"Are you really looking at getting Pioneer speakers?  Really?"

Are they that bad??? /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

Oh, system number is DAV-DX250

Pretend your talking to someone that is borderline ignorant....... matter of fact, don't pretend.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted August 09 2010 - 06:09 AM

So basically you have 4 ohm nominal speaker and a 2 ohm nominal sub.  I recommend you go with 8 ohm speakers as your upgrade though.  This will insure compatibility with any receiver you want to buy later.  You are going to find it difficult to get a passive sub on the retail market so make sure the active one you pick out has high level inputs.

As far as brands of speakers, the companies that make receivers don't do a good job at making speakers.  Do a little searching in the speaker section and you will see that we recommend many internet direct companies like SVS, Elemental Designs and Axiom among others.  They cut out the middle man since you are buying direct from the manufacturer.  In the case of SVS and eD, you call the location where they are built.  There's even a chance that Ben, President of eD, will answer the phone.  Check out their web sites for more information.

If you are going to go about this in steps, make sure the front 3 speakers are all from the same manufacturer and line so they are timbre matched (they sound the same).  You can add rear speakers later because timbre matching is not as important.  Finally, the sub should be chosen based on your room size and goals.  You will not earth shaking bass from an 8" sub in a large room.  On the other hand, your budget should match your goals as well.

Keep the questions coming.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   snake

snake

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted August 09 2010 - 07:15 AM

Well, is my current unit gonna push these new speakers as I upgrade? Thanks for the awesome info so far!!

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted August 09 2010 - 11:24 AM

Yes they will push them.  Will them push them to their limits?  Probably not.

Remember that normal listening levels only require about 5w of power per speaker (not including the sub).  This is a level you can have a normal conversation over without raising your voice.  If you like to crank it 'til your ears bleed then it may not work as well as expected.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   snake

snake

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted August 09 2010 - 02:12 PM

I see what your saying. Its a 1000w system, BUT I'm not ignorant and I know that doesn't mean a whole lot, so as long as it'll push them enough to get loud for a while, thats great. I'm not out to win contests, i just like my stuff to be able to keep up when I turn it up and sound good doing it! Good movie and music sound is what I'm after. Just gonna start piece by piece.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   snake

snake

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 12:20 AM

Man, I checked out SVS and was very impressed! Gonna read up on them some more but I think I'm gonna go with them for 2 towers, center, and a sub. Can't wait to get started!!

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted August 10 2010 - 12:58 AM

If you search the archives here, you will find where Ron Stimpson (the S in SVS) asked for help building a sub and Tom Vodhanel (the V in SVS) stepped in to provide assistance.  These guys and their current employees (many are also members here) are real enthusiasts like us.  Here's a little look at their company.  http://bitstream.sou...ad-trip-sv.html