-

Photo
- - - - -

Any word on US release of Michael Bay's 'The Island' on Blu?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted August 08 2010 - 10:51 AM

Any word on a US release of Michael Bay's 'The Island' on Blu? (Is Scarlett Johansson not cute enough? Michael Bay not commercial enough?)

It has been out in the UK on BluRay since 2008, albeit on a 25GB disc instead of 50GB.

I'm tempted to import the UK edition, unless there's a higher quality US release coming.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#2 of 6 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted August 08 2010 - 12:55 PM

No US release, I do have the UK edition which is fantastic.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#3 of 6 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,349 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted August 08 2010 - 02:53 PM

[please delete, I made a sourcing error re the disc I was referring to, mine is actually the UK one, doh]

#4 of 6 JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted August 09 2010 - 02:32 PM

Agreed...the PQ is pretty good, although given the disc is a few years old it doesnt compare to modern titles and other Bay films like Transformers 1 and 2..still, it looks much better than the SD counterpart. Audio is only a DD 5.1 option, but it sounds great, especially during the shootout / freeway chase.

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

#5 of 6 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,873 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted August 10 2010 - 02:51 AM

The only thing redeeming about this movie is the casting of the guy who played Pete on Benson, here in a bit role. I'd rather have the 1980 Michael Caine film on DVD but only in a definitive edition

#6 of 6 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 06:32 AM

I thought the casting all around makes this film. Scarlett as a naive innocent, Ewan as a harmless guy, Buchemi with a conscience, even the guy from True Blood and Star Trek Voyager was nice... the only failure of the film IMO was the showdown, which was rather silly. As a big budget remake of that b-movie, and with shades of Logan's Run, it was perfect matinee style science fiction for me. Same level as, say, Total Recall, or the Sixth Day, or THX1138, or other not-quite-trying-to-be-a-blockbuster scifi films.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now