What's new

Question on 7.1 speaker placement (1 Viewer)

TexasStation

Agent
Real Name
Jim
I have a dedicated front projection media room with a 7.1 setup, and I've never been quite happy with the sound coming from the surrounds. I have two rows of recliners, with the side surrounds (Paridigm dipoles) wall-mounted on the side walls slightly in front of the back row of sets. The two back surrounds are also dipoles and are wall mounted on the back wall above and behind the back row. Even though my sound levels are set correctly, the side surrounds don't seem to have much impact, especially in the front row. So it got me thinking. Since there is still so little 7.1 content out there, would I be better off disconnecting the sides and using the back surrounds in a 5.1 setup, at least until 7.1 soundtracks are more commonplace?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Here is how Dolby recommends they be setup: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html If anyone should know the correct way............. right?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by TexasStation

I'm basically thinking of disconnecting the sides and using the backs instead for 5.1

Receiver doesn't work that way. For 5.1 you'd disconnect the backs.

If you disconnect the sides, you won't get any sound from the backs at all, unless maybe it's a 7.1 movie.

TexasStation

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Sorry if I didn't clarify myself, but I was actually looking to disconnect my sides, then connect my back surrounds to Surround A on the receiver, thus sending the 5.1 output to the back surrounds, instead of the sides.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jim,

Only thing you can do is try it. If the sound is not what you want, you can always put it back.

What receiver do you have? Some of the newer models have technology in them to 'enhance' the surrounds when played below reference. Have you tried increasing the trims for the surrounds?

It could be your room is not well suited to dipoles. If your front and back walls have alot of absorption, then dipoles may not work properly. Direct radiating or bipoles may be better.

Experiment until you like it. There's no law that says you have to put the speakers where everyone suggests.

Good luck.

TexasStation

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Ya, I will go ahead and give it a shot. I have a Denon AVR-3808 receiver. I've spent a lot of long, frustrating months trying to get the sound right using Audyssey, but had a lot of bass problems in there (too much bass in the back and not enough in the front). I finally just calibrated it the old-fashioned way with an SPL meter. It's an enclosed, rectangular-shaped room, about 13" X 19". Nothing special done to the walls...just drywall and insulation. I wonder if direct radiating speakers would've been the better way to go.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Take a look at the Audyssey guide in my sig. You have Dynamic EQ which will increase the surround volume (and bass) when you listen below reference. Not sure how much you played with this (you have to have MultEQ enabled for it to work). May be worth a re-visit....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks