What's new

TCM VAULT COLLECTION (UNIVERSAL): Douglas Sirk Filmmaker Collection in September (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Movies Unlimited is listing the Four-disc set that includes "Thunder on the Hill," "Taza, Son of Cochise," "Captain Lightfoot," and "The Tarnished Angels."

I hope they will be pressed discs just like all the others in this collection (I don't know about the Kettle set).

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I was this close to buying the R4 release of The Tarnished Angels.....

If Deanna Durbin got pressed, its safe to say these will be too.

Also, this is the first director set that has been released since this line began.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm buying it.

A Douglas Sirk collection is an absolute must own for me.

It will be nice to see and hear TARNISHED ANGELS at the proper pitch.

TAZA SON OF COCHISE is a seriously good western and a state of the art stereoscopic film from the golden age of stereoscopic films. Sirk mastered the process visually and technically. In fact the 3-D is so natural and easy on the eyes it's a crying shame the film isn't being released on DVD with a 3-D option.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Universal should also include "There's Always Tomorrow" (1956), maybe this time in its proper aspect ratio, newly remastered, unlike the version in the recently released Barbara Stanwyck collection.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Thanks for the update - great to hear!

Mine was shipped on Tuesday; however, I'm in California so the time-in-transit may be extended.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Hmm, I ordered TARNISHED ANGELS singly, and it's on backorder. Hope it ships soon.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

Hmm, I ordered TARNISHED ANGELS singly, and it's on backorder. Hope it ships soon.

My understanding has always been that the singles from these sets were actual burnt discs so perhaps they haven't gotten these ready to go yet.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Just a note to say that my individual TARNISHED ANGELS shipped today, after I prompted MU with an e-mail. Those with individual orders outstanding from this set may want to do the same.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Regarding THE TARNISHED ANGELS, I just got this email from Movies Unlimited:

"Recently you purchased either “The Douglas Sirk Collection” or the title “The Tarnished Angels” which was a part of the collection. Subsequent to shipping, a manufacturing defect was found in “The Tarnished Angels” that will require replacement of the disc. The last five minutes of the movie are missing.

Within two weeks we will be sending you a replacement “Tarnished Angels” at no expense to you. There is no need to return the defective disc. Kindly allow up to three weeks to receive the shipment.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you have been caused in relation to this matter. We value your patronage and appreciate your indulgence. "

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
That really pisses me off . I received no email . I called and was told they were aware of the problem . And that i had to send my dvd back and they would replace it . I packed it up and shipped it back this afternoon . What a frigging waste of time and money . Way to go Movies Unlimited . Nice communication with your customer service . That's BS .

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
As I am sadly finding all too normal here, those boast of a new set but refuse to give any info about it.

Again, I will plitely ask -

Is Captain lightfoot in stereo as an early scope film should be (and this was).

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I ordered my set by phone. Upon reading these newest posts, I called Movies Unlimited - they told me the replacement discs

are being shipped directly by the manufacturer, to everybody (regardless of whether they ordered on the Internet or by phone).

They also said the time frame will be two-to-three weeks.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
MU sent me an email yesterday saying they were sending a new TARNISHED ANGELS disc to replace the defective one in the Douglas Sirk Collection. I have yet to even receive the DS Collection, but it is in transit. I have to applaud them on this bit of customer service.

The email also said that I do not have to return the defective disc.

Does anyone know what is wrong with the Disc?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
"Does anyone know what is wrong with the Disc?"

They left off the ending of the movie! After the scene with Jack Carson in the courtyard, it jumps to the end credits!!! The ending with Rock Hudson and Dorothy Malone is gone!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Thomas T

"Does anyone know what is wrong with the Disc?"

They left off the ending of the movie! After the scene with Jack Carson in the courtyard, it jumps to the end credits!!! The ending with Rock Hudson and Dorothy Malone is gone!

Well that is a major mistake. I guess they need people that know and love film to do a right job. Any director in the right mind would not end a movie with Jack Carson, unless it was The Good Humor Man.

Thanks, I will be shaking my head over this all day.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by Joe Caps . He says Captain Lightfoot is Dolby Digital 2.0

Those screenshots for Tarnished Angels look pretty ropey, I'm glad I have the UK disc of that. And although Taza is now anamorphic it doesn't look to be a huge upgrade on the German open-matte version. Personally, there's not much in this set to tempt me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks