Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

iPhone 4, We hardly knew ya'!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted August 06 2010 - 04:40 AM

Word is leaking out now from some fairly reliable sources that the iPhone 4 could be replaced in the iPhone line by a new iPhone (the "iPhone 4c?", "iPhone 5"?) as early as January!!

Here's the first "high-profile" report on this :

. New iPhone. According to our source—and we have to say that we find this part hard to believe—Apple is pushing up the release date of the fifth-generation iPhone to early 2011 (as soon as January) because of the antenna issues with the iPhone 4. It’s unknown whether this will be a repackaging of iPhone 4 components in a different shell or something more substantial. We reiterate: it’s hard to believe. But as with so many seemingly far-fetched early reports, it’s not impossible.

Link:

http://www.ilounge.c...er-2-ipad-mini/

I have to say that I'm not all that shocked by this news.  In addition to the publics' tainted view -- fairly or unfairly -- of the iPhone 4, it's rumored that Samsung could be releasing an Android 2.2-based smartphone in November with an integrated pico projector.  This was one of the enhancements rumored for the next iPhone.  It's hard to believe that Apple would allow Android a 7 month lead on them in this area.

Joseph
---------------

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,292 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 07 2010 - 02:51 PM

If by "rumored" you mean "ridiculous stuff people wished the iPhone would have", then I suppose it was rumored to have a pico projector. :)

I find it interesting that the antenna rumor aligns with the Verizon rumors.

I think if there an iPhone revision it will solely be about the antenna nothing that affects perfoance like processor or ram will be modified.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted August 08 2010 - 04:25 AM

Dave,

It's *fact* that Samsung will have an Android-based phone with an integrated pico projector by November:

An integrated pico projector is the next logical enhancement for the iPhone since it would allow for "instant presentations" as well a great way to view rented iTunes' movies.

It's also rumored for the next generation iPad.

Joseph
---------------

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,292 posts

Posted August 08 2010 - 06:20 AM

I know some Android phones will. I thought there was already one out with it. That doesn't mean the iPhone will have such a feature anytime soon.

Like I said, lots of things are "rumored", most of which have nothing to do with reality. (e.g. three years of "Verizon" rumors.)

We'll see about these iPhone 4c (what happened to 4b?) rumors.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,292 posts

Posted August 08 2010 - 06:37 AM

Perhaps more clearly, on my part:

Rumors about revised iPhone 4 are interesting, and to me intriguingly aligned with latest rumors of Verizon availability. I'm very curious what happens by, say January 2011.

Rumors of a new, bi-annual refresh rate for the iPhone or an integrated pico-projector I think should go into a new iPhone 5 thread :) And now that #4 is out, it's not too early to start those speculations and discussions :)

And finally, I think an in-phone projector is a silly idea, a silly feature, and won't show up in an iPhone for a while. But we can debate that in the iPhone 5 rumor thread :)

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted August 08 2010 - 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by DaveF 

And finally, I think an in-phone projector is a silly idea, a silly feature, and won't show up in an iPhone for a while.

Any executive that thinks a projector in a cell phone will prove to be a killer application is delusional.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,753 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 04:38 AM

I fully agree. I work with a moderately technically savvy group, and the standalone projectors we have for business use are sometimes not up to snuff for larger rooms and presentations. I can't imagine how much of a disaster an attempt to use a phone as a projector would be in a real business setting (as in, presentations are often used to impress people or clients).

Originally Posted by Michael_K_Sr 

Any executive that thinks a projector in a cell phone will prove to be a killer application is delusional.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,292 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 05:03 AM

It would be a smash hit with Rainbow vacuum door-to-door salespeople. They could waste my time with slide shows in their salespitch.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 10 2010 - 05:59 AM

Outside of the insane drain on batteries, what would it kick?  200 lumen?  and eat up your battery in 20 minutes for a 4'/5' image?

Ridiculous feature.  Get a phone that projects that 3d holograph stuff from Starwars, and fine, I'm there.  But a projector? Really?    We just upgraded conference rooms to the new 1080P 2500 lumen units.. at like 4k each. And even at that, you have to have the right screen and room to matter.  A projector serves what purpose?

Stupid feature.

Here is the feature I do want in a phone that I would consider priceless.  Give me a phone with an accurate RFID reader.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,292 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 06:30 AM

What has RFID tags that you would read? I didn't think they were widespread as a UPC replacement (for now).

I enjoy using the phone's camera with apps to do barcode scanning; but it's a kludge and quite finicky on lighting and shaky hands. So an RFID reader sounds quite appealing...if it could be used any every store.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 11 2010 - 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by DaveF 

What has RFID tags that you would read? I didn't think they were widespread as a UPC replacement (for now).

I enjoy using the phone's camera with apps to do barcode scanning; but it's a kludge and quite finicky on lighting and shaky hands. So an RFID reader sounds quite appealing...if it could be used any every store.

Inventory management systems.  Some new CC also employ RFID

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,292 posts

Posted August 11 2010 - 11:08 AM

I don't see such a thing coming until RFID has universally replaced UPC at stores.

Perhaps some Android phone will add it in with their pico-projector :)