What's new

iPhone 4, We hardly knew ya'!! (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Word is leaking out now from some fairly reliable sources that the iPhone 4 could be replaced in the iPhone line by a new iPhone (the "iPhone 4c?", "iPhone 5"?) as early as January!! Here's the first "high-profile" report on this : . New iPhone. According to our source—and we have to say that we find this part hard to believe—Apple is pushing up the release date of the fifth-generation iPhone to early 2011 (as soon as January) because of the antenna issues with the iPhone 4. It’s unknown whether this will be a repackaging of iPhone 4 components in a different shell or something more substantial. We reiterate: it’s hard to believe. But as with so many seemingly far-fetched early reports, it’s not impossible. Link: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/leaked-details-on-2010-2011-ipods-iphone-5-bumper-2-ipad-mini/ I have to say that I'm not all that shocked by this news. In addition to the publics' tainted view -- fairly or unfairly -- of the iPhone 4, it's rumored that Samsung could be releasing an Android 2.2-based smartphone in November with an integrated pico projector. This was one of the enhancements rumored for the next iPhone. It's hard to believe that Apple would allow Android a 7 month lead on them in this area.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If by "rumored" you mean "ridiculous stuff people wished the iPhone would have", then I suppose it was rumored to have a pico projector. :)

I find it interesting that the antenna rumor aligns with the Verizon rumors.

I think if there an iPhone revision it will solely be about the antenna nothing that affects perfoance like processor or ram will be modified.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

It's *fact* that Samsung will have an Android-based phone with an integrated pico projector by November:

An integrated pico projector is the next logical enhancement for the iPhone since it would allow for "instant presentations" as well a great way to view rented iTunes' movies.

It's also rumored for the next generation iPad.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I know some Android phones will. I thought there was already one out with it. That doesn't mean the iPhone will have such a feature anytime soon.

Like I said, lots of things are "rumored", most of which have nothing to do with reality. (e.g. three years of "Verizon" rumors.)

We'll see about these iPhone 4c (what happened to 4b?) rumors.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Perhaps more clearly, on my part:

Rumors about revised iPhone 4 are interesting, and to me intriguingly aligned with latest rumors of Verizon availability. I'm very curious what happens by, say January 2011.

Rumors of a new, bi-annual refresh rate for the iPhone or an integrated pico-projector I think should go into a new iPhone 5 thread :) And now that #4 is out, it's not too early to start those speculations and discussions :)

And finally, I think an in-phone projector is a silly idea, a silly feature, and won't show up in an iPhone for a while. But we can debate that in the iPhone 5 rumor thread :)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Originally Posted by DaveF

And finally, I think an in-phone projector is a silly idea, a silly feature, and won't show up in an iPhone for a while.

Any executive that thinks a projector in a cell phone will prove to be a killer application is delusional.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I fully agree. I work with a moderately technically savvy group, and the standalone projectors we have for business use are sometimes not up to snuff for larger rooms and presentations. I can't imagine how much of a disaster an attempt to use a phone as a projector would be in a real business setting (as in, presentations are often used to impress people or clients).

Originally Posted by Michael_K_Sr
Any executive that thinks a projector in a cell phone will prove to be a killer application is delusional.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Outside of the insane drain on batteries, what would it kick? 200 lumen? and eat up your battery in 20 minutes for a 4'/5' image?

Ridiculous feature. Get a phone that projects that 3d holograph stuff from Starwars, and fine, I'm there. But a projector? Really? We just upgraded conference rooms to the new 1080P 2500 lumen units.. at like 4k each. And even at that, you have to have the right screen and room to matter. A projector serves what purpose?

Stupid feature.

Here is the feature I do want in a phone that I would consider priceless. Give me a phone with an accurate RFID reader.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What has RFID tags that you would read? I didn't think they were widespread as a UPC replacement (for now).

I enjoy using the phone's camera with apps to do barcode scanning; but it's a kludge and quite finicky on lighting and shaky hands. So an RFID reader sounds quite appealing...if it could be used any every store.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF

What has RFID tags that you would read? I didn't think they were widespread as a UPC replacement (for now).

I enjoy using the phone's camera with apps to do barcode scanning; but it's a kludge and quite finicky on lighting and shaky hands. So an RFID reader sounds quite appealing...if it could be used any every store.

Inventory management systems. Some new CC also employ RFID

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't see such a thing coming until RFID has universally replaced UPC at stores.

Perhaps some Android phone will add it in with their pico-projector :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks