Photo
- - - - -

Purchased "Caddyshack" after the warning & WB logo nothing happens - anyone have this problem

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted August 04 2010 - 03:11 AM

Purchased "Caddyshack" after the warning & WB logo nothing happens - the screen goes black and I get a little cartoon of a disc error.  I tried the Blu-ray on two different players and got the same thing. Anyone have this problem with this or any other disc?

#2 of 26 robbbb1138

robbbb1138

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted August 04 2010 - 03:34 AM

I had a similar problem with The Lovely Bones.  It did nothing after the Paramount logo came up.  I needed to get a firmware update.  It sounds odd that there's anything in a movie like Caddyshack that would require new firmware though, so maybe it's just a defective disc.  Did you buy it someplace where you can exchange it easily to just try another disc?

#3 of 26 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,717 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 04 2010 - 03:39 AM

Yeah, that sounds like a firmware issue but it's odd that two players won't play it so maybe it is the disc.

#4 of 26 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• PipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • LocationValley Glen, CA

Posted August 04 2010 - 08:38 AM

What players and what firmware versions? The disc does have Java based menus that load after the intro warning and WB logo.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 26 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted August 04 2010 - 08:40 AM

Buy a hat like that get a free bowl of soup - Oh but it looks good on you!/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

#6 of 26 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• PipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts

Posted August 04 2010 - 09:06 AM

Modern Blu-ray players are more like small computers than traditional consumer electronics. Just like Windows or iTunes updates, so does the programing of the players.

And QC testing is always done on the latest firmware versions.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 26 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 04 2010 - 09:15 AM

Criterion's The Red Shoes isn't loading for me, and it's the first disc I've had a problem with on

my Sony(-Costco) (BD-X1?).  I haven't had the player near an internet connection since buying it two years ago, so I hope this is fixable.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (original) presents problems sometimes -- after playing the feature or one of the extras, it will sometimes freeze up on returning to the menus.

#8 of 26 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• PipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts

Posted August 04 2010 - 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

Criterion's The Red Shoes isn't loading for me, and it's the first disc I've had a problem with on

my Sony(-Costco) (BD-X1?).  I haven't had the player near an internet connection since buying it two years ago, so I hope this is fixable.

Most Sony players have had several updates the last couple years. http://esupport.sony...DPS1&SelectOS=7

#9 of 26 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 10,168 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 04 2010 - 09:30 AM

If that Sony Costco model is the same unit as my Sony BDP-S350, then The Red Shoes should play fine if you have updated firmware. It played without issues on my player, as did Caddyshack.

#10 of 26 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted August 04 2010 - 05:35 PM

"You must have been something before electricity"/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

#11 of 26 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Advanced Member

• 14,399 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 04 2010 - 07:45 PM

You are going to need your update your firmware regardless of if you are buying your discs at Frys or at Amazon.  You can start here: http://esupport.sony...VER&PRODTYPE=78

#12 of 26 David Deeb

David Deeb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted August 04 2010 - 11:58 PM

GM -

Perhaps Fry's could have refunded you, just to keep the peace, but you may be coming down too hard on them.

A firmware update will resolve your issue.   It is very easy and you will be happy once you have done it.  As Blu-ray features advance, firmware updates allow your player to stay current.

It's not Fry's fault.

#13 of 26 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 13,814 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 05 2010 - 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

What's the big deal refunding at disc that I purchased for $15.

Because customers got in the habit of buying a movie, watching it, and then returning it. In order to avoid becoming a free rentals store, virtually every electronics retailer has instituted an exchange-for-same-title-only policy. Fry's is following mainstream retailer practices here.

As the choir has said: do yourself a favor, hook your Blu-Ray player up to your router or modem and upgrade your firmware. Otherwise you're going to find that more and more titles new titles give you similar problems.

#14 of 26 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,717 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 05 2010 - 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

As the choir has said: do yourself a favor, hook your Blu-Ray player up to your router or modem and upgrade your firmware. Otherwise you're going to find that more and more titles new titles give you similar problems.

And even if someone doesn't want (or doesn't think they have the technical know-how) to connect their player to the internet, they can still call the manufacturer and get a firmware disc mailed to them.

#15 of 26 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted August 05 2010 - 04:17 AM

Pick up that Blood!/img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

#16 of 26 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted August 05 2010 - 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

Because customers got in the habit of buying a movie, watching it, and then returning it. In order to avoid becoming a free rentals store, virtually every electronics retailer has instituted an exchange-for-same-title-only policy. Fry's is following mainstream retailer practices here.

Can you make a shoe smell?/img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

#17 of 26 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 05 2010 - 05:01 AM

Oh my GOD what a difference.  The Red Shoes now loads and plays beautifully, as do the couple of other discs I'd had a problem with.  And the Sony is performing like never before, even in a few areas of functionality that I won't embarrass myself by naming.  (Why was I accepting questionable or sub-par behavior as normal??)

The only reason my player isn't connected to the internet is location, so I downloaded and burned the update to CD and everything went without a hitch.  I'll check for future updates regularly from now on.  So glad I spoke up here.  Thanks, one and all, for the help.

#18 of 26 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• PipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts

Posted August 05 2010 - 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 
This whole Firmware business is unbelievable. DVD players did not have "Firmware".  Software should be playable on all players, and if not There should be a note printed in the product stating so. Unlike a  PC or Mac a blu-ray player is not a computer.

Several discs come with an insert with the very message that the disc may not play without your player having the most current firmware.

#19 of 26 ahollis

ahollis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,130 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 05 2010 - 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

Several discs come with an insert with the very message that the disc may not play without your player having the most current firmware.

Warner's, Sony, Fox, Disney, and Universal all have fliers included in their Blu-ray packaging.  They have been including these fliers for a least the past four years.  The only problem that I have had with a disc loading due to firmware issues has been Fox.  it is a pain but once the player is updated, then all is fine.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#20 of 26 Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted August 05 2010 - 05:47 AM

Greg,

Quick question.  Do you have BD-Live enabled through your blu-ray player's settings/menu?  If you do, disable it and try the disc again.  I had this exact problem with a few blu rays a while ago and once I disabled discs' abilities to try to access BDLive, the problem went away.

regards,

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users