What's new

Favorite Android Apps (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am starting this thread so members that are using an Android phone can list your favorite apps.

I just picked up an EVO 4G about 5 days ago and love it.

The apps that I have been using with my Hero and now my EVO are.

1) App Brain
2) Dolphin HD Browser
3) Advanced Task Killer
4) Advanced Task Manager
5) ES File Explorer
6) Fast Web Installer
7) Handcent SMS
8) QuickMark
9) RockPlayer
10) Screen Mode Widget
11) Silent Boot
12) SlideIT Keyboard
13) Uninstaller Pro
14) Weather and Toggle Widget
15) LauncherPro

Does anyone know of an app or widget that allows you to use HTC widgets on apps like LauncherPro?

Parker

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Far be it for this Android newbie to get into the Task Killer kerfuffle, but everything I've read against task killers sounds very plausible while everything I've read for task killers sounds very anecdotal. So I'd have to say no to task killers in 2.1 after having tried it out for a week and found zero difference in battery life or phone performance. However, the conventional wisdom wrt task killers in 2.2 is that they aren't needed and they definitely screw more things up than they fix because of the way froyo manages memory and programs. YMMV.

Astro File Manager and Astro SMB module are must haves. The latter allows AFM to browse network shares and move files between them. I upload all my pics and vids to my PC wirelessly this way.

Remote Droid is a wifi based remote keyboard and mouse controller. A small program runs on the host machine and Remote Droid acts like a trackpad and the soft keyboard can be used as well. The only thing is, it seems to only like the stock keyboard.

Wyse Pocket Cloud. This is the best RDP program I've ever used. I'm a bit bummed that they're going to start charging $30 or so at the end of the month when the software leaves beta testing. I think I can get my company to pick up the tab on this one. BTW, Pocket Cloud also handles VMWare and VNC connections, so it's an all-in-one solution for IT admins. Again, seems to only like the stock keyboard.

I use Real Signal all the time to see how good my 3G connection is. There are no bars in the taskbar that measure 3G strength, so Real Signal is the only way to measure it.

BatteryLife widget is a great way to see your battery life in 1% increments, especially since the task bar battery meter is too small to get a good idea of how your battery is really doing.

Kindle! Aldiko is great for browsing public domain and free books as well.

Meridian is my main music player.

ACV is a nice, free comic book reader.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Here is my list, copied from another thread. All apps are free.

1. Places Directory -- lists nearby points of interest, such as restaurants, hotels, entertainment, etc.

2.Amazon -- manage your Amazon.com account, place orders, etc.

3. Movies -- shows what's new in theaters, on DVD and Blu-ray. Read reviews, watch trailers, etc.

4. Wifinder -- shows you what 802.11 wifi networks are in range.

5. Password keeper -- keep track of userids and passwords

6. Dazzle widget -- quick buttons for turning on/off gps, wifi, putting into airplane mode, etc.

7. A Online Radio -- free radio streaming. I picked this one because it streams the local radio station that carries Plymouth Whalers hockey games (we are season ticket holders).

8. Video player -- works better for me than the stock video player

9. Daily Strip -- read your favorite daily cartoon strips. I can keep up with Dilbert this way.

10. SportsTap -- get score and news updates from the major sports -- NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, college football/bball, golf, auto racing

11. NFL Mobile -- ties into NFL.com and The NFL Network. Can watch NFL Network content.

12. Call Log trimmer -- automatically cleans your calling logs based on how many instances you set.

13. Astro File Manager -- already mentioned above

14. Weather Bug -- more useful widget than the stock HTC clock / weather widget.

15. Ring Droid -- create your own ring tones from mp3 files.

16. My Verizon -- manage my Verizon account. Maybe there is a similar app for Sprint.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I have a Samsung Captivate I've been using since launch on July 18. Here's the apps I use in ABC order

ADW Launcher - lightweight launcher, very nice
Advanced Task Killer
ASTRO w/ SMB module
Barcode Scanner - integrates with some other apps
Bubble - level program
Cor.kz - integration with Cellartracker.com wine cellar database
Daily Strip
doubleTwist - music player, better than the stock app, has a companion syncing program for the PC, but it's not needed
Handcent SMS
Google Maps and Navigator
Mileage Log - for tracking business use of vehicle for multiple businesses and multiple vehicles
Pandora
PrinterShare - print to my network printer
RadioTime - one of the top organizers of online streaming of terrestrial radio (already been using it with the Squeezeboxen for years)
Ringo Lite - setting manager
Retro Clock / Retro Date - clock widget
ROM Manager - for switching ROMs on a rooted phone
ScoreCenter - ESPN scoreboards
Smooth Calendar - widget that shows up to 3 appointments, had a bunch of settings
SqueezeCommander - for running the Logitech Squeezebox system
Terminal Emulator - command line
Titanium Backup - remove pre-installed bloatware (requires Rooting/busybox)
Ultrachron - advanced stopwatch/countdown timer
XDA - easy to use access to xda-developer.com forum (how else are you going to root and hack the device without a good reference?)

Still trying to find a good weather widget/app

And of course, the gmail and google contacts sync are invaluable.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
One of the apps I just found and really love that I believe is related to Froyo is Car Panel. I get into my car and I am automatically connected to my Bluetooth system and Navigation via GPS. All I have to do then is speak my phone number or address that I want to go to and the corresponding dialer or navigation kicks in to give me turn by turn directions.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It's more of a tech demo than a game, but Scatter is a very cool looking free game. Basically, they take a bitmap drawing and them covert it into a cloud of 3D pixels. You rotate the cloud around until you have it at the correct angle that creates the complete image. It's confusing to describe, but definitely check it out.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Probably. I don't know if there's a single Android game that doesn't have at least an analogue on the iPhone. Android game dev is pretty generic right now.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Okay, so there's a new update for Voice Search for 2.2 phones:

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-ups-ante-voice-search-all-new-voice-actions

I haven't played around with the direction search but I can tell you this: the voice dialing is still TOTAL FAIL.

I tried voice search for my name, and it never, ever even came close to coming up. The kicker is, my name itself came up, but as a Google search. I tried the "call [contact]" command 20 times, and it kept googling random things. At one point, it started dialing "Dan Rodriguez". Okay, finally. But then I realized it was some random Dan Rodriguez in Brooklyn and not the one in my contacts list. Again, it recognized the name, but decided to call a randomly googled name instead of selecting one of my contacts. This is seriously WTF. At least have a "call contact [contact]" to specify what to search. But all of this is moot, since the program will decide to either call whatever result is returned without confirmation, or bring up list that requires you to tap on your choice.

Seriously Google, why aren't you using voice confirmation? There's a text to speech program already -- why are you making users touch the phone at all? Why are you dialing shit without confirmation? It's like the engineers on this project take the short bus to work every day.

The listen to command will not work with any of my music players, so another fail.

I guess searching for businesses generates more revenue than dialing your friends. I can't conceive of any other reason for this to be implemented as poorly as it is.

Oh yeah, one more thing -- since the search is the same server based voice to text that the voice to text feature uses, a) you must have a working data connection, and b) it tends to be slow to goddamed slow.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Vlingo is now a free app! It used to be $10, but it's free now in light of Google's voice app upgrade. But Vlingo actually works, except it still doesn't ask you to confirm. However, it's 1000 times more functional.
I forgot to add -- Vlingo does not require froyo to work.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the tip on Vlingo, Hanson. I installed it, and first impressions are that it works much, much better than the native voice dialer on my Droid Eris. Of course, it does not take much to improve on the native app, which is useless, IMO.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The only value of the native app is that it prompted Vlingo to makes theirs free. It is inherently worthless.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It turns out that Google voice only goes through your gmail contacts. Mine are all from Exchange, so I would need to sync them to gmail for them to work.

Not bloody likely.

Thanks again, Vlingo.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
There's a new update for Dolphin HD.
The best new feature is the ability to use gesture to switch between tabs. There are also a bunch of little 2.2 compatibility updates including the ability to run from the SD card. This may come in handy, as the program runs around 15MB or so. I'm not at the point yet where the lack of app space is killing me (that happens around the 40MB free mark).
Which brings me to the subject of moving apps to the SD card -- I had thought this was simply a feature like it was in WinMo, where 95% of apps could run from SD out of the box. But the program has to be written to work this way -- you cannot move any old program to SD. Since 80% of my apps are under 2MB, this isn't a big deal for me, but there are some owners who install lots of games, and the more complex ones can run 15-25MB. If the devs don't get on the stick, especially the ones who make the gignatic games, this is going to be a major buzzkill. I know a lot of froyo upgraders were excited for this feature, but the reality is that a small percentage of programs can actually work this way.
BTW, you should check out EStrongs File Explorer. It's an alternative to Astro, and for LAN data transfers, it seems 2X faster than Astro SMB. It also doesn't disconnect when the phone locks (but it also seems to pause when the screen locks). When I'm transferring a large file, I will set up the transfer and leave a program on that forces the screen to stay on. Alternately, I just use the phone as the file transfers in the background.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Thanks for the tip on [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Vlingo[/COLOR]. It kicks major butt.

I have been using [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]EStrongs File Explorer[/COLOR] since using my Hero. I really like it.

I found a great program called [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]arcMedia[/COLOR] for playing back all sorts of video files that uses libraries
from the FFmpeg project under the LGPLv2.1 with the codec base, including: avi, divx, mkv, mov, mp4, rmvb, wmv, xvid.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I checked out arcmedia, and aside from the persistent logo in Rockplayer (which may only appear in the free version), I can't see arcmedia donig anything better than Rockplayer. In fact, it is worse in all phases -- it doesn't bookmark your place in the file, the video quality is much worse (lots of pixelation and aliasing where Rockplayer is smooth) and it appears to stretch video to fit the proportions of the screen, which means a DVD movie at 1.78 ratio will look distorted vertically instead of having a little bit of letterboxing like you get in Rockplayer (the Evo screen is 1.66). And Rockplayer also supports every file extension arcmedia does.

For me, Rockplayer is the clear winner here.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Just picked up Chrome to Phone. I really like being able to send a link from Chrome to my phone so I don't have to type in the url in my browser on the phone.

I really like Calendar Pad and its integration with my Google Calendar.

Lookout is a nice app that includes a virus-malware scanner, data backup via a cloud and a missing device that allows you to find your phone if you loose it
or it is stolen.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i grabbed an app called 'sound manager'. it gives you sliders for all volume controls on the phone. system, ringer, notifications, media, alarm, and in call. The one thing i missed from my ipod was a software volume slider when music was playing and this fits the bill and then some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks