Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Spidey, Hulk, Cap, Doc Strange, etc...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted August 03 2010 - 01:00 PM

Anyone know if there are legal copies of the following on DVD:

Spider-Man - live action tv series.

Captain America - the two tv movies

Doctor Strange - tv movie

any other made for tv live action Marvel products???

I know, of course, that The Incredible Hulk has long been available but didn't know about any of the rest.

Thanks.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   paste

paste

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted August 04 2010 - 03:08 PM

None of those have been released on DVD. Episodes of Spider Man and the two Captain America were released on VHS at one point.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 10 2010 - 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by paste 

None of those have been released on DVD. Episodes of Spider Man and the two Captain America were released on VHS at one point.

Doctor Strange and the two Reb Brown Captain America movies were released on VHS by MCA Home Video.

Nicholas Hammond Spider-man was released originally by CBS/FOX Home Video on VHS and/or Beta (and the pilot telefilm was also issued on CED VideoDisc) in the early '80s, priced for the rental market. The pilot, Deadly Dust and Chinese Web were released in their "movie" versions. Don't think CBS/Fox released any of the others.

Later in the '80s, Starmaker (a low-budget company) released Photo Finish on an LP-speed cassette as a budget-price release.

In the mid-to-late 1990s, Rhino released all of the syndicated "TV movie" versions of the series, so besides the above 2-hour episodes, they also released the one that were combinations of two different episodes, even though the boxes for the tapes don't mention them being the movie versions rather than individual episodes. This got all of the episodes on video finally except for The Captive Tower, which was the only episode that never got turned into a TV movie (as there was no other episode left to pair it with).

I don't know if any of the Rhino tapes were SP mode, but the ones I got were recorded in the inferior SLP speed.

Overseas, movie-versions of episodes have been released under their foreign "theatrical" names (i.e. Spider-Man Strikes Back instead of The Deadly Dust, etc), again only on VHS.

The 1990s pilot movie Generation X was released in the UK on VHS (in PAL format, of course) with an additional 'too racy for Fox' scene. Don't think it was released anywhere else in the world.

There have been NO officaial, legal-to-own DVD versions of ANY of the 1970s live-action Marvel shows, except for The Incredible Hulk.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for all the info.

I do have the Cap movies on VHS (a friend of mine found em years ago at a Big Lots type store for $2 a piece).

While I know these are relatively low budget tv fair for their time,  I am surprised someone didn't release them around the time of the Hulk DVD releases.

Let me add to the list the animated Spider Woman cartoon voiced by Joan Van Ark.  Anyone know if that is available??

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 11 2010 - 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 

Let me add to the list the animated Spider Woman cartoon voiced by Joan Van Ark.  Anyone know if that is available??

Region 2 DVD (in PAL standard) from the UK. You can order them at Amazon.co.uk, along with many more of the 1970s/80s Marvel cartoon shows. Most (if not all) of these are pretty much exclusive to the UK market. Of what's available, I think only the '60s Spider-man has been released in the US.