Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where do you guys stand on the "Lost Ansel Adams" controversy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,752 posts

Posted August 03 2010 - 05:38 AM

Over the last few days I've been following the controversy regarding the [Jim Rome] "allegedly" [/Jim Rome] lost and rediscovered Ansel Adams plate glass negatives. Part of me really wants to believe they are his negatives, from a historical perspective and as a great admirer of the man. Also, the story of how they ended up in a garage sale, if they are his, is just compelling historical storytelling type of stuff.

But the Adams heir has gone out of his way to discredit this find, and the experts seem to be split. The finder and his team of experts make a compelling case to me, more so than anything I've read from the side that contends they are not legitimate. But maybe that's just the part of me that wants this to be truly a find of epic proportions for those in the Photography and Art field.

What do you guys think?

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,058 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 03 2010 - 06:07 AM

I have no idea, but I tend to agree with TOP:

http://theonlinephot...uncle-earl.html

Edit:  forgot to add that I think Adams was an exceptional writer and teacher and inventor, but his images leave me a bit cold.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted August 03 2010 - 08:23 AM

As another Earl would say, "karma!"

In trying to dupe the world into valuing the pics for big bucks through his media blitz, the con man got undone by the very same media blitz. Yay.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted August 03 2010 - 08:41 AM

I think Uncle Earl.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,576 posts

Posted August 10 2010 - 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

Edit:  forgot to add that I think Adams was an exceptional writer and teacher and inventor, but his images leave me a bit cold.

For me, his images are a little like Stanley Kubrick's movies.  Precisely honed and like it is taking the science to such a level as to almost make it art, but, in the end, as you said Sam, a bit cold.  Still, he advanced so much understanding of B&W film.  Fortunately he didn't live to see his advancements become meaningless.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,058 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 10 2010 - 04:47 PM

Well said!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted August 11 2010 - 08:43 AM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one (around here) who wonders a bit about Adams' works.  We may still be heretics of course, but even heretics could use a few friendly companions, no? /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

This reminds me about my feelings toward Mozart.  To me, Adams may well be a lot like Mozart.  To be sure, there are works to admire and some to enjoy too, but I do seem to be a bit too vulgar to fully appreciate and absorb all the divinely sublime substance that must so apparently exude from them all. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

And (co)incidentally, there used to be a Belgian dpreview forums regular who hated Mozart and thought him to be totally derivative, boring and unoriginal -- and probably felt similarly of Adams to some extent too.  He was a rather controversial forums regular, but I became friendly w/ him (and his 2.8 buddies, et al).  Those were interesting times for me (as interesting as things can get on the net anyway /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif) as a complete newbie in photography -- I'm of course excluding all prior casual, p&s experience when I say that. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Think I *really* need to get out more... /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)