Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Moving on to Tripods (attention Scott Merryfield)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 of 105 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,273 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 18 2014 - 08:24 AM

I have that one and find it quite usable and fluid, but with a Canon camcorder, not a DSLR.

The issue I usually have with any budget video head is the ability (or lack thereof) to balance the camcorder, so I don't have to constantly keep it from tipping back. That tension wears on the arms in short order. Ideally, you would just have things balanced so if you let go when it's at the horizontal position, it will just stay there. My workaround with the Canon M500 camcorder I use is to reverse the pan handle, so it's extending from the front, instead of the back. This provides enough counterbalance to the camera with the battery pack attached so it stays level without having to manually hold it there or tighten down the knobs.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#102 of 105 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 08:56 AM

Hmmm... except when I'm using my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 w/ its own tripod collar, the DSLR will be front heavy depending on what lens is on it.  Maybe my 17-55 f/2.8, if not the Sigma f/2.8 telezoom (w/ its own mount)... though I might pick up an 18-140VR if I decide to get the D7100 in the near future.  I do also still have the old 18-70 from my D70 days, but probably won't be using that for video -- not sure lens IS/VR helps all that much though.

IF I go w/ D610, I might get the 24-85VR (FX).  Not liking the D610's rather small AF area coverage though unless I shoot w/ DX crop -- more a concern wrt stills than video.  What was/is Nikon thinking w/ that???  That plus some other niggles.  Even the D800's AF coverage seems a bit limiting when shooting fullframe... making it a bit disappointing for the price -- that plus I really don't want to deal w/ 36MP(!) files... heck, not even sure I want to deal w/ 24MP, LOL... :P

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#103 of 105 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,646 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 21 2014 - 06:45 AM

And now we see why it was so cheap:

Big changes, and welcome improvements, no regrets for me tho!

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#104 of 105 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 12:23 PM

Hmmm... That video doesn't really show off the fluid video head though... mostly just the legs.

Nope, fluid heads are expensive but worth it so you dont get bounces on pans.

$293:
http://www.amazon.co...=I35J670HW08I2Q

Wait.  Are you saying the cheaper heads (like the ~$100 Manfrotto 128RC) actually bounce up and down during pans?  How much bounce are we talking?

I've been making do w/ my $150-200 Giottos 3300 ballhead for the occasional video shoot.  Panning is possible, but a tad jerky just because I don't have an arm to do it consistently/reliably.  Haven't noticed actual bounce w/ the pans as long as the camera's well-balanced and I turn the head itself, instead of touching the camera+lens -- this w/ the Sigma f/2.8 telezoom on its own tripod collar for instance.

I would get the more expensive video head if I'm getting paid something for the shoots, but not sure my needs justify it at the moment.  Actually, the relatively new, non-profit, local youth (classical/jazz) music (para-school?) program that my kids joined are looking to offer me modest freelance gigs to shoot-and-edit for their performances (4 or so per year).  They only need DVD-quality results, and the modest(?) compensation would be plenty to help w/ upgrades and the better video head, maybe extra tripod, etc. -- that plus I'd love to help them out anyway... and I'd be shooting because of my kids anyway if they didn't have someone else do it (for the DVDs I'd gladly buy, instead of doing the work myself).

In fact, shooting the kids' performances is a big consideration for me to suddenly consider buying a new DSLR -- futzing w/ the D5100 is getting old... plus would be nice to have 2 bodies to shoot videos (and then edit together), if I could...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#105 of 105 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,005 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 30 2014 - 10:58 AM

Well crap!  That tripod I was hoping to get for xmas, the wifey says get for my birthday.  Back in December it was $150 and now it's $250.  Here's the link to it: http://www.amazon.co...iglink123527-20

I have a built-in aversion to pay a $100 more for the same product.  I used camelcamel to verify it was $150 in December.  Maybe I'll ask for a rain check and wait for a xmas deal.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users