What's new

Sierra TV series (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I was able to watch an episode of Sierra today and i liked ths show, especially the episode with John and Roy (Emergency!) were in. The show really highlights the life of the park ranger and how they help people. This would be a good show to be released on dvd. I would love to have this show.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
As I recall it had a pretty neat theme song. Hope it comes out on DVD for you, Younger1968

James

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I couldn't agree more.

I really hope it's included to fill out the DVD release next year of the Emergency! movies. I think it would be an excellent combination and provide a decent set to sell at the usual MSRP of past Emergency! releases.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Considering that the show was likely never transferred to tape masters at any point in time, I seriously doubt that "Sierra" could ever be included by Universal at this point. Universal couldn't even furnish a tape master of the single episode of "The D.A." that completed an "Adam-12" story to Shout! to note a similar example.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Here's another vote for it regardless of the shape it's in it's worth seeing again, same goes for Born Free (1974) by the way.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack P
Considering that the show was likely never transferred to tape masters at any point in time, I seriously doubt that "Sierra" could ever be included by Universal at this point. Universal couldn't even furnish a tape master of the single episode of "The D.A." that completed an "Adam-12" story to Shout! to note a similar example.
Very true, although with all of the inventory work they've done in light of the big fire of 2 years ago, they have found 16mm elements on a great many of their series and they have been providing them to Timeless for series such as Frontier Circus, Oregon Trail, Whispering Smith and others. I have no idea who would put out a show like Sierra. It's not a western, so Timeless is out. Not a sitcom, so Shout is out. Likewise, MPI. Who else is there? Infinity hasn't done a new title in years. Smore is done. Looks like so is Virgil. I can't think of any company that would have any interest in a title like this.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It has no chance of being released as a standalone release. It's only chance in my opinion is as a pairing with the 6 Emergency! movies.

There is only going to be approximately 50% of the content of past Emergency! season releases with the 6 remaining movies if they make it out next year. The best hope for seeing this Emergency! spin-off is if they decide to include the short season of Sierra (13 sixty minute episodes and 1 movie) to arrive to a set with a comparable amount of content to past season releases of Emergency!.

Of course that's a long shot. But hopefully they decide they want to sell the movies at full MSRP and conclude they need to add something more to it to justify that pricetag to consumers. Hopefully they will decide Sierra (Which could never make it out on it's own) is just the thing to fill the set out with.

It's a long shot, but there's enough discussion and people expressing their desires at a few places like this that the right people sometimes observe that might just cause them to give the idea some consideration.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
it is all about marketing and making money. The emergency movies would be a few movies. So. it will come down to how is it best to pactice the set.

The Sienna would not stand on it own, so, there will be a need to package it wilth Emergency!.

There are many series that had 1-2 years that may never be release unless they are linked with another series.

i am always for releasing the shows, but, the reality if the network or the company owns the right must feel they can make money on the release.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
SF! doesn't just do sitcoms and Timeless doesn't exclusively do westerns, so I'd say they're both good candidates for this show.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I really wish I lived in the same universe as some of the people on this forum inhabit. One-season, failed series, never syndicated or rerun that are owned by a major studio and have been released? Only Timeless has done anything like that, and with mostly westerns with a few copy shows thrown in. He, never say never, but not highly likely.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
If you could position the show with Forest/Park Ranger career/tourism, then they show has a chance, because many things these rangers did back in the 1970s are still used today. So, it could on how you positioned the show.

Canada had a show called Forest Rangers and it was released on dvds. So, it will be up to the powers at Universal to decide what needs to be done. Maybe Universal will just license shows like this directly to Shout Factory.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Don't know why Neil's not aware that a wilderness spirit show like this would actually be well suited for Timeless and their many westerns, consumers may also easier accept a (possibly) lesser picture quality like with some of their other catalog titles.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
There are many shows like Sierra that were out for short-time basis. I seen a few episode on youtube and it look like a cool show. It is too bad universel has not been pushing more archives to shout factory!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Neil Brock said:
What makes you think that there are even existing usable elements?
There has nothing been said contrary to tell me there is nothing available. Yes there was a fire, but in many cases the movies/tv shows have been transferred to different media for storage. It really comes down to the time it takes to clean up the shows and/or if there is a market for the show. Sierra could had a life with Emergency! movie releases, but the studio chose not to do anything on that released. The best hope for the old shows is for all studios to go the archive route. Some these classic shows are very relevant today, like Sierre as it depicted the forest rangers.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
What frustrates me is that Emergency! sets included the cross over episode of Adam-12, but not the cross over of sierra. Sierra cross over could have been included in the movies set as way to show gauge interest in Sierra. Emergency! had the one episode with Mark Harmon doing animal rescues, so it does not make sense why sierra was excluded/
I did watch an episode of Sierra on youtube with Gage/de soto, but the quality was poor. The problem i have with sierra episode along with movies for emergency! is they depict Gage/DeSoto as paramedics, but in the greatest rescue they are promoted to captain!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The reason for including the Adam-12 episode was to promote Shout's selling of Adam-12 on DVD. And that wasn't a crossover episode, it was just a standard Adam-12 episode where the Emergency cast appeared.
The reason why the Mark Harmon pilot episode appeared was because it ran as a standard episode of Emergency! Sierra never did, so that's why it made a lot of sense why it didn't appear even though it would have been nice if it had been included.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I was sad to see it not included (But not surprised). Same with that episode of The D.A. that continued a storyline started in an Adam-12 episode back around season 4 or so. Was sad to see that episode not included (Although not shocked, I doubt Shout even realized it existed or even inquired about it).
And Sierra aired in 1974, years before Emergency! ended with these movies. That's right around when season 3 or so was airing, so I'm puzzled why you're complaining that they're not captains in that crossover episode.
And I don't see why that's a problem with the movies. For starters, four of them aired before that retrospective movie ever did where they're promoted (Including the jetliner crash movie where they take an active role in LA instead of observing somewhere else). Secondly and I'd have to watch them again, but are they specifically referenced as something different than a captain or wearing the wrong insignia or something in the single movie that aired after the promotion one? They'd still be paramedics I presume, at least until their certification ends. So referring to them as being paramedics isn't necessarily incorrect and isn't saying that they're not captains. And the job they're doing in that last movie, which was reaching out to another department to observe their operations and learn their best practices and share some of their own experiences, seems like it would be something assigned to someone higher up in the chain of command... such as newly promoted captains just coming off jobs as active paramedics in LA.
And even if that was the case and they essentially erased their promotions, it wouldn't of been the first time they sacrificed consistency for the good of the viewers The switching back and forth from Adam-12 and Emergency being set in the same world to Adam-12 becoming a tv show in the Emergency world at one point is a prime example and was a good decision since it made for an entertaining episode even if it contradicted earlier episodes. They may of felt like that last movie was more interesting with them as paramedics rather than captains. Or you could argue that the final movie took place before that promotion episode. The writers may of intended that and it may of even been produced first, but the people selecting when this stuff airs traditionally don't always pay attention to those facts.
And sometimes they just did a poor job with consistency. In that retrospective movie, pay attention to the guy promoted before they are (and the only one besides Johnny and Roy that you actually see being promoted). He's a longtime thorn in their butts throughout the regular series and you will certainly recognize his name. He's getting his promotion before they are and clearly the writers intended for the same actor to portray him as we saw throughout the series, which is why he's referenced with a familiar name of a recurring character.
Yet he's completely changed appearance here. The same actor couldn't be gotten due to previous committments yet they seemingly couldn't of cared less. Rather than not film those few seconds or change the guy's name in the script, they lazily kept it intact and filmed it anyways with Craig (It's been a few years but I think that's his first name) Brice changing from a short thin white guy to a tall strong looking black guy.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The single movie that aired after the "promotion" one they were still in San Francisco but that was because that TV movie was shot *before* the promotion one, and simply aired later, out of sequence. The promotion one with the retrospective clips is the true last one production wise.
The inconsistency of Adam-12 and Emergency operating in the same universe and then Adam-12 becoming a TV show in the Emergency world and then back to co-existing again in the Adam-12 episode (but this time Reed and Malloy are strangers to Rampart in contrast to the Emergency pilot when they were on a first name basis with Dixie. Of course as LA City cops they never should have crossed paths with Rampart, since that's County territory!)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jack,
Sierra could have been included in the movies as Gage/De Soto went to Yosemite to mountain/high angle rescues. The movies had Gage/De Soto going to SF and Seattle to study paramedic techniques/processes in those jurisdictions. It would be a great opportunity to package sierra as sample episode. Wonder Woman did that with Shazam and see no harm with doing something similar with Sierra.
Adam-12 was called a cross over, because you see adam-12 talking to dixie and then few minutes later de Soto and gage showed up at Dixie's station.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks