What's new

March of The Wooden Soldiers (Laurel & Hardy) Blu-ray up for preorder $12.95 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rather surprised to see this title surface on Blu-ray

with little fanfare. We received no press announcement.

It is available from Legend Films, who released a

restored DVD a few years back.

Not a bad gamble for $12.95 on Blu-ray.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by ahollis

Is it colorized? That would be intersting, but a non buy here.

Actually, I have to disagree. This is a film that really should have been shot in color, not B&W. I do agree most films should not be colorized (still can not believe they colorized "It's A Wonderful Life"), but this is one of the few that I prefer this way.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by jim_falconer

Actually, I have to disagree. This is a film that really should have been shot in color, not B&W. I do agree most films should not be colorized (still can not believe they colorized "It's A Wonderful Life"), but this is one of the few that I prefer this way.

But flaws will be seen. In HD this could be disastrous transfer. While I applaud Legend in their efforts to restore films and their brief agreement with Paramount, I have really never seen a perfect colorized film. And I have seen Legend's version. In Blu-ray I would prefer the original Black and White version. But this this just my opinion.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have the B&W film "March of the Wooden Soldiers" released in 2008/9 by MGM/20th C Fox. The original movie was called "Babes in Toyland". The colorized version was usually called "March of the Wooden Soldiers". I hope that the BR disc is B &W and not colorized. The picture quality was very good and easily the best version of this film.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The Legend DVD has both the B&W and Colorized versions of the film, so I doubt this will drop the B&W version. Unfortunately, while the Legend DVD release is good, the MGM release is far, far superior, IMO, so one can only hope they would release their transfer on Blu in the near future.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Compared to the MGM disc Legend's transfer of 'March' is not particularly good (and the less said about the crayoning in the better); hi-def won't do anything to improve it. I see Legend are also releasing Richard Fleischer's Mandingo on BD the same day.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'll bet there's a good reason why this particular Blu-ray will only cost $12.95. I won't be buying, but will certainly check in to read others' reviews.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Oooh! Here's hoping for Man Who Could Cheat Death and The Skull on blu-ray then! Phase IV and The Deadly Bees would be welcome too.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
No sale for me; I'm not going to reward bad behavior (colorizing films).

A BD of the MGM official release? I'd be all over that.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I contacted Legend about these releases and inquired about their Hammer & Amicus dvds making the move to blu-ray. Here's the positive response I got, and why we might want to vote with our wallets:

These are two of our best-selling titles and we're hoping to find that there is an audience for these "catalog" movies on Blu-ray. If they are met with a good release, we are certainly looking towards moving all of our titles to Blu-ray, including your Hammer and British horror films (which I think would be great for Blu-ray as the original reels are very clean and should have a very nice HD transfer.) So please keep your fingers crossed with us that there is enough success with this release to warrant additional titles being converted.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I e mailed to legend films a couple days ago.Im dying to find out if this is region free ! Those region free blu ray players are still very costly.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I would also like a Pied Piper release from Legend Films... I am gonna buy the horrible Mandingo.... but I woudl buy those Amicus Hammer titles in a heartbeat. I am just hoping for strong storage usage on the films, and that they look as good as possible with no tinkering. I don't mind film damage or debris as much as long as it isnt manipulated badly.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
$7!.... I've yet to pick up the MGM DVD, so if this is at least equal to it or even slightly better I may have to bite at such a low entry level cost.

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by bgart13

Deep Discount now has it up for $6.73.

Cancelled my Amazon order at $11.49. Only thing is DDD shows a release date of 10/26. What's up with that?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
According to a poster at blu ray.com , he tried the disc on a region b player and it plays! Despite saying region a on the backcover !!! I guess he is not lying lying,I just ordered mine at amazon. I guess I should be good to go right ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks