-

Photo
- - - - -

March of The Wooden Soldiers (Laurel & Hardy) Blu-ray up for preorder $12.95

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,599 posts

Posted July 31 2010 - 01:34 AM

Rather surprised to see this title surface on Blu-ray

with little fanfare.  We received no press announcement.

It is available from Legend Films, who released a

restored DVD a few years back.

Not a bad gamble for $12.95 on Blu-ray.

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 34 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,695 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 31 2010 - 02:56 AM

Is it colorized? That would be intersting, but a non buy here.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 34 jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted July 31 2010 - 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

Is it colorized? That would be intersting, but a non buy here.

Actually, I have to disagree.  This is a film that really should have been shot in color, not B&W.  I do agree most films should not be colorized (still can not believe they colorized "It's A Wonderful Life"), but this is one of the few that I prefer this way.

#4 of 34 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,695 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 31 2010 - 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by jim_falconer 

Actually, I have to disagree.  This is a film that really should have been shot in color, not B&W.  I do agree most films should not be colorized (still can not believe they colorized "It's A Wonderful Life"), but this is one of the few that I prefer this way.

But flaws will be seen.  In HD this could be disastrous transfer.  While I applaud Legend in their efforts to restore films and their brief agreement with Paramount, I have really never seen a perfect colorized film.  And I have seen Legend's version.  In Blu-ray I would prefer the original Black and White version.  But this this just my opinion.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 34 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted July 31 2010 - 04:51 AM

I have the B&W film "March of the Wooden Soldiers" released in 2008/9  by  MGM/20th C Fox.  The original movie was called  "Babes in Toyland". The colorized version was usually called "March of the Wooden Soldiers". I hope that the BR disc is B &W and not colorized. The picture quality was very good and easily the best version of this film.

#6 of 34 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 31 2010 - 06:44 AM

The Legend DVD has both the B&W and Colorized versions of the film, so I doubt this will drop the B&W version. Unfortunately, while the Legend DVD release is good, the MGM release is far, far superior, IMO, so one can only hope they would release their transfer on Blu in the near future.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 34 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 31 2010 - 06:47 AM

Compared to the MGM disc Legend's transfer of 'March' is not particularly good (and the less said about the crayoning in the better); hi-def won't do anything to improve it. I see Legend are also releasing Richard Fleischer's Mandingo on BD the same day.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 34 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,998 posts

Posted July 31 2010 - 07:30 AM

I'll bet there's a good reason why this particular Blu-ray will only cost $12.95. I won't be buying, but will certainly check in to read others' reviews.

#9 of 34 bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 888 posts

Posted July 31 2010 - 08:37 AM

Oooh! Here's hoping for Man Who Could Cheat Death and The Skull on blu-ray then! Phase IV and The Deadly Bees would be welcome too.

#10 of 34 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted July 31 2010 - 01:26 PM

No sale for me; I'm not going to reward bad behavior (colorizing films).

A BD of the MGM official release?  I'd be all over that.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#11 of 34 bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 888 posts

Posted August 02 2010 - 06:48 AM

I contacted Legend about these releases and inquired about their Hammer & Amicus dvds making the move to blu-ray. Here's the positive response I got, and why we might want to vote with our wallets:

These are two of our best-selling titles and we're hoping to find that there is an audience for these "catalog" movies on Blu-ray. If they are met with a good release, we are certainly looking towards moving all of our titles to Blu-ray, including your Hammer and British horror films (which I think would be great for Blu-ray as the original reels are very clean and should have a very nice HD transfer.) So please keep your fingers crossed with us that there is enough success with this release to warrant additional titles being converted.

#12 of 34 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted August 15 2010 - 03:13 AM

Any idea if this will be region free ? Have legend films released other blu rays ?

At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#13 of 34 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted September 02 2010 - 12:25 AM

I e mailed to legend films a couple days ago.Im dying to find out if this is region free ! Those region free blu ray players are still very costly.

#14 of 34 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,166 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted September 02 2010 - 07:17 AM

I would also like a Pied Piper release from Legend Films... I am gonna buy the horrible Mandingo.... but I woudl buy those Amicus Hammer titles in a heartbeat. I am just hoping for strong storage usage on the films, and that they look as good as possible with no tinkering. I don't mind film damage or debris as much as long as it isnt manipulated badly.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#15 of 34 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,217 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 11 2010 - 03:50 AM

Currently an $11.49 pre-order.  And it retains the B&W version with the colorized version.

../../../image/id/362570/width/1000/height/500

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#16 of 34 bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 888 posts

Posted September 11 2010 - 06:51 AM

Deep Discount now has it up for $6.73.

#17 of 34 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 11 2010 - 01:06 PM

$7!.... I've yet to pick up the MGM DVD, so if this is at least equal to it or even slightly better I may have to bite at such a low entry level cost.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#18 of 34 JimBarrese

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted September 11 2010 - 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by bgart13 

Deep Discount now has it up for $6.73.

Cancelled my Amazon order at $11.49.  Only thing is DDD shows a release date of 10/26.  What's up with that?

#19 of 34 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted September 15 2010 - 11:11 PM

Can anyone who has this, confirm if region free ?  Amazon does have this in stock.

#20 of 34 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted September 16 2010 - 12:47 AM

According to a poster at blu ray.com , he tried the disc on a region b player and it plays! Despite saying region a on the backcover !!! I guess he is not lying lying,I just ordered mine at amazon. I guess I should be good to go right ?