-

Photo
- - - - -

is my Sony RPTV aging?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   kumar

kumar

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted July 30 2010 - 04:56 AM

My lovely 57" Sony RPTV (7 years old) is throwing some convergence issue.

For the last week or so I see blue separated by at least 1/2 to 1 inch. I can see that clearly when there is a white text (appears as blue and yellow).

First I did auto flash and then entered into manual convergence mode to fix it.

Though I could fix some + in the middle of the screen, towards the corners it was pretty bad.

I opened up the front panel and fixed the three focus knobs and it almost got corrected. In the process somewhere I added little bit red to the overall picture. I was planning to call some one in to calibrate the TV.

I ran it for about 20 hours in the last week or so and again since last night, convergence has gone bad.

Any idea how I could fix this. If I have to call an engineer, I am willing to do that. It's just that I like the picture quality in this when properly calibrated, and wouldn't mind spending to fix this.

If guided, I can enter into the service menu too, but I do not have any tools/hardware to do repairs.

Thanks in advance.

Signature deleted by moderator. Please review the signature rules. No equipment lists. - MR

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted July 30 2010 - 06:15 AM

sounds like the # 1 crt problem....convergence ICs.

Figure 250-300 for an in home repair. A calibrator is not a repair technician.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   kumar

kumar

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted July 30 2010 - 03:33 PM

Thanks Greg,

I will call a local repair guy. I hope he does a good job. If anyone know of a good repair technician in the Raleigh-Durham area that will be great.

After fixing this, I would like to get it calibrated as well. I think I can extract a lot of juice from this TV. I always liked this technology than some of the LCD and plasma TVs. Some day I have to face the inevitable and jump to another technology, but until then I think properly calibrated RPTVs are great.

Thanks again.

Signature deleted by moderator. Please review the signature rules. No equipment lists. - MR

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Chad Erickson

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationBurnsville, MN

Posted August 03 2010 - 05:10 AM

Thanks for the repair estimate Gregg.

I started have the exact same issue with my 55 inch Mits (WS55807) a couple weeks back.  I called one place and they quoted me $400 for the repair.  I'll have to do some calling around to see if i can find a cheaper quote.  If you would happen to have any contacts in the Minnesota-Twin Cities area, i would great appreciate it.

Kumar - best of luck to you.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted August 03 2010 - 05:24 AM

I had this done for $300 on my Panny and it's been working great for the ~2 years since.  I've also read a lot of blogs that says this is a fairly easy do-it-yourself job if you're electrically handy at all.  (I'm not.)  All you need is a soldering iron.  There are a few sites that give you step-by-step instructions.  The replacement chips are about $8 a piece (you usually need two).

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Chad Erickson

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationBurnsville, MN

Posted August 04 2010 - 06:02 AM

Good to know that i should be able to get this done for less than i was quoted by the first guy.  I'll have to check around and get a couple more estimates.