Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Showtime New Series: The Big C

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 29 2010 - 10:12 AM

First Episode is online as a preview from Showtime:

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,525 posts

Posted November 16 2010 - 08:15 AM

No one watched this?  This was a pretty good series and the ending last night was pretty emotional.

I wonder if there's a season 2 - The ending left it that it could go to another season or that could be the end.

"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 16 2010 - 09:04 AM

It was up and down, but the longer the gambit went of her not telling people, the more I kept thinking to myself: this is going to chicken out, she'll tell, and then where do you go?  Eventually, she has to die.

This is where Breaking Bad succeeded.. he completely sold out and changed everything for a set goal, and because of that unpredictability and trend it worked.   The Big C came across as milquetoast "Breaking Bad".

It wasn't bad, but while Weeds was having one of those years were completely zany crazy things happen, and Dexter was... Dexter, it seemed to play it too safe and not enough wild.   I think this could have went to some really dark and potentially hilarious places.. and they just couldn't do it.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,888 posts

Posted November 16 2010 - 12:19 PM

Well, I think for a caliber of actress that Laura Linney is, it's sort of good to have a finite storyline so she can move on to other work, so I could see how a project like "The Big C" would be attractive to her.

Adam's reaction to the storage room contents was heartbreaking, probably the high point in earned emotion this season.  But this series doesn't quite gell with the slice of life subplots observed through the lens of a woman with a terminal illness coping with life's finality on an accelerated deadline.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted November 16 2010 - 12:40 PM

I haven't seen last nights episode but I think this has been a very good show.

I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted November 28 2010 - 09:27 PM

I started watching this as a sort of quiet gift for my wife.  She never asks to watch a show so we pretty much go by whatever I feel like watching (tho I will often take her into consideration - Glee over the Fringe ep I really want to watch).  I figured this was a show she'd enjoy (esp after having to sit through Weeds and Dexter).  I mean, everything about it screams 'chick show.'  At any rate, it only held a cursory interest for her.

While I agree there were some problems with the show (and as soon as she told her husband I suspected the series wasn't going to last as long as originally planned) I quite enjoyed it.  My only real annoyance was Linney always seemed to speak as if she were in a monologue play.

I had thoughts about the daughters of Marlene story line. The Marlene that Cathy knew was a cantankerous but lovable woman.  The daughters knew her as a grouchy hard to get along with parent.  While the way the daughters treated Marlene's possisions may seem to Cathy and the viewer as cruel, I couldn't help thinking if my mother referred to me and my same sex partner as dykes/faggots, and other such mean spirited comments they referred to, then maybe I wouldn't give a crap about her possessions either.  I still liked it when she told them to get the fuck out, tho.

The last episode worked as a decent series finale, but I see that it's been picked up for another season.