What's new

GLADIATOR remastered Blu-ray- color changes? (1 Viewer)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Hello Charlie,

There has been some "controversy" brewing about the remastered GLADIATOR, specifically regarding the color timing changes compared to the first Blu-ray and older DVD versions (see the last several pages of Hollywood Insider Penton-Man's thread on Blu-ray dot com). Can you confirm whether or not the remastered version was supervised and/or approved by director Ridley Scott and/or cinematographer John Mathieson? Thanks!

Vincent

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Ridley Scott personally supervised and approved the new master. I know because I was there with him at each session. He's very happy with the new "Gladiator" master. As he is with the new "Alien" master, by the way.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Charles de Lauzirika

He's very happy with the new "Gladiator" master. As he is with the new "Alien" master, by the way.

So he should be - Gladiator looks stunning. And my Anticipation-O-Meter for the Alien set just went up a few notches.

Thanks for the info Charlie.

madshi

Auditioning
Real Name
Mathias Rauen
@Charles, just let me say that the new Gladiator transfer is absolutely gorgeous. Reference quality. Wonderful job! I wish every Blu-Ray would look like this...

Now, please, could you take over the mastering of the LOTR Extended Edition Blu-Rays, and do just as fine a job there?

TheHutt

Agent
Real Name
Peter
Now that's really nice to hear. Just waiting for my Netherlands Blu to ship. :)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Charles, this is good to know.

Did Ridley Scott comment on why this was made to have a much different look than the previous Blu-Ray and DVD versions?

From my recollections I always thought that while they were very dark in many scenes that in this reagard they gave us a good representation of what could be seen theatrically so it would be great to hear more of the motives behind the changes made.

And let me add that textures and detail look absolutely stunning from what I have seen so far - very impressive!

Ridley Scott personally supervised and approved the new master. I know because I was there with him at each session. He's very happy with the new "Gladiator" master. As he is with the new "Alien" master, by the way.

LBrown

Auditioning
Real Name
Leroy Brown
How do we know we have the remastered version (if you're from Canada...I am...or the US)? Is there some markings on the box? Hate to pickup the original version by mistake.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Charles,

Has there ever been any thought put around recompositing (I'm not sure that's the right term) the Oliver Reed footage at the end of Gladiator where he was added to the scene digitally to blend it a bit more seamlessly? It seems like, as our home video tech has improved, that's starting to stand out more that Reed is in different lighting from the rest of the scene.

LBrown

Auditioning
Real Name
Leroy Brown
Hello guys,

I just received my copy from www.bestbuy.ca. It does have a "GLADIATOR" b/w security sticker over the top edge of the case as in all BD cases. And while it still has the "2 DISC SET/in French" on the bottom right corner it is over the Paramount URL and not the usual Paramount logo. Could this mean I have the remastered version? Or do I still have the original?

I know I can send DISC 1 to the Valencia California location for Americans. Was mentioned on Digitalbits.com. But if I can avoid having to do so...

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Hi Robb,

While we were working on the new remaster, I asked Ridley if he wanted to make any picture fixes or flub removals but he was happy with the film the way it is. Although I'm sure Proximo's final scenes could be improved with today's technology, they don't seem to take most people out of the experience. I know you and I can see the digital seams and editorial patchwork, but I wonder if anyone unfamiliar with Oliver Reed's passing would even realize what's being done.

Originally Posted by robbbb1138

Charles,

Has there ever been any thought put around recompositing (I'm not sure that's the right term) the Oliver Reed footage at the end of Gladiator where he was added to the scene digitally to blend it a bit more seamlessly? It seems like, as our home video tech has improved, that's starting to stand out more that Reed is in different lighting from the rest of the scene.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I don't think it takes anyone out of the movie in its present state if you're not looking for it. I just can't help but look for it. :)

Hi Robb,

While we were working on the new remaster, I asked Ridley if he wanted to make any picture fixes or flub removals but he was happy with the film the way it is. Although I'm sure Proximo's final scenes could be improved with today's technology, they don't seem to take most people out of the experience. I know you and I can see the digital seams and editorial patchwork, but I wonder if anyone unfamiliar with Oliver Reed's passing would even realize what's being done.

LBrown

Auditioning
Real Name
Leroy Brown
That's the thing about the "problems" with the video in the original copies. If no one told you what was wrong and where to look would any one spot them? Probably not. It's only when you've just seen the original and then the remaster would you spot the changes. But if I do have the original I guess I'll still send in my Disc 1 for the remastered version.

Again, is there marking on the disc to tell us if we DO have the remastered version. Some number/letter combination some where on the disc? As was the case for the 5th Element remaster. At least with that movie they actually made it easy for us by stating on the b/w upper security sticker that it was a "RMTD" version. If only Paramount would have done the same.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb

Originally Posted by LBrown

Again, is there marking on the disc to tell us if we DO have the remastered version. Some number/letter combination some where on the disc? As was the case for the 5th Element remaster. At least with that movie they actually made it easy for us by stating on the b/w upper security sticker that it was a "RMTD" version. If only Paramount would have done the same.

I checked for this on my copy and couldn't find anything that clearly looked like it was a label for it being a new or revised disc...

LBrown

Auditioning
Real Name
Leroy Brown
Looks like I'm going to have to send in my DISC 1 too. It looks fine to me. But if the remastered "looks better" (I don't think you'd know if you couldn't do an a/b test...assuming you had both copies) I might as well do the swap. For a peace of mind I guess.

UPDATE (9 Sept 2010): Was discussing the video issues on another thread. The EE (edge enhancement) problems aren't blatantly obvious. But they are there. I just didn't know EE can be subtle. In Gladiator they make the edges of actors or items like the catapult not sharp. Plus there were effects missing like "enough flaming arrows" in the opening battle scene. No "fork shaped" lightning bolt in the scene when Maximus is rushing home to save his wife/child while holding onto the reins of a 2nd horse.

Will likely send in my DISC 1 tomorrow. Nothing to loose and much to gain. A properly mastered version of Gladiator. Just have to pay for postage one-way.

LBrown

Auditioning
Real Name
Leroy Brown
Ok. It's been just over 3 weeks as of last Friday. Still waiting for my copy of the remastered Disc 1. Hopefully I get it this week. Seemed like only yesterday did I send in the disc. I'm from Canada so it might take them 4 weeks or so to send from California.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by LBrown

(I don't think you'd know if you couldn't do an a/b test...assuming you had both copies)

You can immediately tell it's poor quality--at least I could. In fact, I would say they were blatantly obvious; so much so that I maintain anyone who had a hand in the original release (at *any* level) should be fired.

LBrown

Auditioning
Real Name
Leroy Brown
Turns out I had sent in my copy of Disc 1 without including a return address. Or at least that's what I think happened. It's been maybe 6 weeks now. So I sent in today the mailing receipt (along with my return address of course) hoping this will be enough for them to send me a copy of the remastered disc. Failing that I guess I'll have to wait around for the remastered version to start selling here in Toronto and pickup a 2nd copy. LOL!!

UPDATE (28 Oct 2010):

Just received my remastered DISC 1 FedEx today. I guess they got my letter sooner than I expected. That or they just took 6 weeks? Nah! They probably got my letter maybe a day or two ago. FedEx'd it overnight. Watched maybe half the movie. Noticed items I don't think was in the original (not remastered) disc. Like a blue screen telling you are about to watch the extended version and that there is violence. Nor an Iron Man 1 movie clip (could be wrong). No more EE. Colors were richer. Noticed more flaming arrows in the battle scene in the beginning. But I didn't see any thunder bolts when Maximus was riding home to save his wife/child. Odd. And the new disc's color looks almost the same as the DISC 2 disc. I thought the difference would be more obvious.

Any how I'm glad I have the remastered disc now. No need to wait for the remastered version to be sold locally and have to buy a 2nd copy.

TopNotch

Auditioning
Real Name
Mr
Bit late on this one. I can assure you that we hand painted every single frame. Worst neg scan I've ever come across. Looked like it was dragged along the 101South before it reached our scanner. Would love to remaster the remastered version with some of the infra-red shit we're rocking. I'd love to have another crack at SPR too.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.