Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sherlock (Steven Moffat's Holmes series)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   AlexF

AlexF

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted July 26 2010 - 07:18 AM

BBC aired the first of three ~90min episodes of this show on Saturday night.  It transplants the Sherlock Holmes tales into a modern 21st century London, England setting.

The first episode was written by Moffat and is an adaptation of "A Study in Scarlet" titled "A Study in Pink".  Martin Freeman plays Watson, freshly back from Afghanistan, and Benedict Cumberbatch plays the Holmes role.  Rupert Graves also shows up as Lestrade.

The first episode was a lot of fun, and featured some very cool shot setups and cinematography.  The story was essentially the same as the original (updated of course for modern technology), but did feature a few twists on some of the clues.

Apparently the next two episodes will be airing over the next couple of weekends.

Anyone else catch it?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Kazz

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted July 26 2010 - 09:30 PM

I wasn't able to catch it but a friend of mine thought it was awesome and we share the same tastes so I'll see if BBC online has the first epi I'll take a gander at

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,382 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 22 2012 - 07:49 AM

I'm surprised that this series isn't being actively discussed. Have I missed the thread? I did a search. I've just finished watching the final episode of season 2 (each season has been 3 episodes). This one was based on The Final Solution (I think that's the name of the original story) and even though the ending was expected, I was riveted to the screen watching this episode. Writing, directing, acting are all top notch. Holmes and Watson are well cast. The producers have done a remarkable job updating the canon to current day. They've kept the faith but have shown they are quite willing to change things up a lot. In some ways I find the new Holmes to be even more socially inept and socially abrasive than the Jeremy Brett Holmes. They seem to be mining more humor out of that. So far, his addition has been tobacco and not cocaine. When it's come up, it's been humorous. It seems I've read or heard somewhere that one of the American networks is going to have their own modern day Holmes in the coming season and Watson will be female. I vaguely recollect that the producers of the BBC series aren't too happy about it.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 22 2012 - 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

I'm surprised that this series isn't being actively discussed. Have I missed the thread? I did a search.
I've just finished watching the final episode of season 2 (each season has been 3 episodes). This one was based on The Final Solution (I think that's the name of the original story) and even though the ending was expected, I was riveted to the screen watching this episode.
Writing, directing, acting are all top notch. Holmes and Watson are well cast. The producers have done a remarkable job updating the canon to current day. They've kept the faith but have shown they are quite willing to change things up a lot.
In some ways I find the new Holmes to be even more socially inept and socially abrasive than the Jeremy Brett Holmes. They seem to be mining more humor out of that. So far, his addition has been tobacco and not cocaine. When it's come up, it's been humorous.
It seems I've read or heard somewhere that one of the American networks is going to have their own modern day Holmes in the coming season and Watson will be female. I vaguely recollect that the producers of the BBC series aren't too happy about it.

"The Final Problem" was the title of the Holmes story in question.

Yes, the new CBS series will star Jonny Lee Miller as Holmes and Lucy Liu as Watson, set in modern day New York City and called Elementary.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,382 posts

Posted May 22 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the correction and the info. I am not familiar at all with Jonny Lee Miller but do know of Lucy. The BBC series has set a high bar for the CBS version to reach for.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted May 22 2012 - 04:02 PM

I guess this thread was originally posted before my thread, but there's more discussion here: http://www.hometheat...-miniseries-bbc

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 23 2012 - 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

Thanks for the correction and the info. I am not familiar at all with Jonny Lee Miller but do know of Lucy. The BBC series has set a high bar for the CBS version to reach for.

He's a wonderful actor (He had a two season run on Eli Stone and was guest villain on Dexter two years ago), but he, unlike Benedict Cumberbatch, does not resemble the literary Holmes in the least (then again, Lucy Liu doesn't resemble the literary Watson either!). My only fear is the producers deciding to put sexual tension between them as an added ploy to draw viewers. This I cannot abide and will be a deal breaker for me.

I doubt Elementary will take in any way the path that the marvelous BBC Sherlock has taken in regard to adapting the original stories into modern variations. I suspect it'll be more CBS procedural in structure with Holmes functioning as his own CSI team of investigators and forensic scientists. The trailer CBS has shown seems to suggest that's the plan.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,382 posts

Posted June 01 2012 - 05:07 AM

I doubt Elementary will take in any way the path that the marvelous BBC Sherlock has taken in regard to adapting the original stories into modern variations. I suspect it'll be more CBS procedural in structure with Holmes functioning as his own CSI team of investigators and forensic scientists. The trailer CBS has shown seems to suggest that's the plan.

That doesn't sound that interesting. I don't want to watch a procedural ripping off the Holmes canon.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org