What's new

Sherlock (Steven Moffat's Holmes series) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm surprised that this series isn't being actively discussed. Have I missed the thread? I did a search.
I've just finished watching the final episode of season 2 (each season has been 3 episodes). This one was based on The Final Solution (I think that's the name of the original story) and even though the ending was expected, I was riveted to the screen watching this episode.
Writing, directing, acting are all top notch. Holmes and Watson are well cast. The producers have done a remarkable job updating the canon to current day. They've kept the faith but have shown they are quite willing to change things up a lot.
In some ways I find the new Holmes to be even more socially inept and socially abrasive than the Jeremy Brett Holmes. They seem to be mining more humor out of that. So far, his addition has been tobacco and not cocaine. When it's come up, it's been humorous.
It seems I've read or heard somewhere that one of the American networks is going to have their own modern day Holmes in the coming season and Watson will be female. I vaguely recollect that the producers of the BBC series aren't too happy about it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/302522/sherlock-steven-moffats-holmes-series#post_3928316
I'm surprised that this series isn't being actively discussed. Have I missed the thread? I did a search.
I've just finished watching the final episode of season 2 (each season has been 3 episodes). This one was based on The Final Solution (I think that's the name of the original story) and even though the ending was expected, I was riveted to the screen watching this episode.
Writing, directing, acting are all top notch. Holmes and Watson are well cast. The producers have done a remarkable job updating the canon to current day. They've kept the faith but have shown they are quite willing to change things up a lot.
In some ways I find the new Holmes to be even more socially inept and socially abrasive than the Jeremy Brett Holmes. They seem to be mining more humor out of that. So far, his addition has been tobacco and not cocaine. When it's come up, it's been humorous.
It seems I've read or heard somewhere that one of the American networks is going to have their own modern day Holmes in the coming season and Watson will be female. I vaguely recollect that the producers of the BBC series aren't too happy about it.

"The Final Problem" was the title of the Holmes story in question.

Yes, the new CBS series will star Jonny Lee Miller as Holmes and Lucy Liu as Watson, set in modern day New York City and called Elementary.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks for the correction and the info. I am not familiar at all with Jonny Lee Miller but do know of Lucy. The BBC series has set a high bar for the CBS version to reach for.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I guess this thread was originally posted before my thread, but there's more discussion here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/303831/sherlock-miniseries-bbc

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/302522/sherlock-steven-moffats-holmes-series#post_3928446
Thanks for the correction and the info. I am not familiar at all with Jonny Lee Miller but do know of Lucy. The BBC series has set a high bar for the CBS version to reach for.

He's a wonderful actor (He had a two season run on Eli Stone and was guest villain on Dexter two years ago), but he, unlike Benedict Cumberbatch, does not resemble the literary Holmes in the least (then again, Lucy Liu doesn't resemble the literary Watson either!). My only fear is the producers deciding to put sexual tension between them as an added ploy to draw viewers. This I cannot abide and will be a deal breaker for me.

I doubt Elementary will take in any way the path that the marvelous BBC Sherlock has taken in regard to adapting the original stories into modern variations. I suspect it'll be more CBS procedural in structure with Holmes functioning as his own CSI team of investigators and forensic scientists. The trailer CBS has shown seems to suggest that's the plan.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
MattH. said:
I doubt Elementary will take in any way the path that the marvelous BBC Sherlock has taken in regard to adapting the original stories into modern variations. I suspect it'll be more CBS procedural in structure with Holmes functioning as his own CSI team of investigators and forensic scientists. The trailer CBS has shown seems to suggest that's the plan.
That doesn't sound that interesting. I don't want to watch a procedural ripping off the Holmes canon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks