Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New toys this week?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,803 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 26 2010 - 05:58 AM

Rumors are swirling that both the Mac Pro and iMac lines will be updated as soon as this week, and a french blog sez iLife 11 is launching August 7th with a mystery new app (ibooks, duh!)

Gruber sez:

We’ll have much to talk about, what with the new Mac Pros (finally, right?), speed-bump iMacs, and the gorgeous new 16:9 27-inch Cinema Display that Apple might hypothetically release tomorrow.

Sam Sez:

No blu, no sale

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,932 posts

Posted July 26 2010 - 07:05 AM

I sure hope Gruber is right about the 27" ACD -- I have a broken (the stand snapped off) decade old 20" ACD in dire, desperate need of replacement.  I would have preferred a new 30" ACD, but 27" will do.  It will kill two birds with one stone as I can get rid of my ancient Sony CRT form the bedroom as well. I'll just need a 30' DisplayPort & USB extension cables.  Those do exist, right? I'm also very excited about my favorite podcast, The Talk SHow coming back!
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,803 posts

Posted July 26 2010 - 07:37 AM

The 27" ACD is going to be $1299 - $1499 tho, given Apple's history.  Are you prepared to pay that big a premium over the Dell equivalent?

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,803 posts

Posted July 26 2010 - 07:50 AM

Engadget seems to agree http://www.engadget....w-cinema-displ/ Double hypothetical indeed, since he got burned on the bluray call for the original 27"

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,518 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 26 2010 - 08:29 AM

I'm an iLife and iWork fan, and have upgraded each year for 3 years running. S I'm curious about what's to come. But with my iPhone and ipads likely next yr I'm not sure I'll upgrade the 'i' suites this year.

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,803 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 12:02 AM

The store is down, the store is down!

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 27 2010 - 12:48 AM

It's up now.  I've never noticed the Magic Trackpad before.  And they are saying "The new iMac" although I can't tell if that is from today...

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 27 2010 - 12:51 AM

Yep, new iMacs http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html and Mac Pros: http://www.apple.com...pro/specs.html  and the Magic Trackpad is new.

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,276 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 27 2010 - 01:04 AM

MacPro now going dual 6 core Xeon (12 core) on a serverboard platform: http://www.engadget....12-core-proces/ That is a monstrous workstation design.  And infinitely bootcamp ready. The iMac refresh is kind of a letdown.   Mostly i3, using either a 2 generation old ATI (4670) or a .5 generation old, middle of the line video (5670), though both trump the 9400M.   Clearly mainstream, but no Quadcore until you hit $2k. http://store.apple.c...BOOK-TECH SPECS That's kind of a letdown.  I figured they'd have a lower i5 in the mix somewhere. But the MacPro is a potentially very sweet offering for the right buyer ;)  Now if only it had Bluray to work with all that horsepower for.
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,803 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 02:04 AM

The MacPro clearly outstrips the available graphics options. And bundingling the 15 year old Superdrive with these is just pathetic.  No sale.

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,518 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 27 2010 - 02:27 AM

Oddly it's not working on the iPhone apple store app yet.

The trackpad intrigues me. It might be useful for my wife with her iMac. She uses a thumb controlled trackball so the magicpad might an improvement in all regards.

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,803 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 03:06 AM

OK, so you can get 2 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitors for the price of 1 30" 2560 x 1600 http://store.apple.c...mco=MTA4MzU1OTQ http://www.engadget....9-aspect-ratio/ If I wind up moving I definitely see a pair of 27s in my new home.

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,775 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 04:12 AM

Don't forget the battery charger! At first I thought that was silly, I could get one from another maker. But then, it includes 6 batteries, so it might not be a bad deal. I burn through batteries like crazy on my mouse and keyboard. So I had considered rechargeable batteries. The new MacPro looks good! I've been lusting for a new desktop to replace my G5.

#14 of 24 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,176 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 05:05 AM

We knew that Blu wasn't coming, and I was resigned to that. I am disappointed that the rumored USB 3.0 and Firewire 1600 weren't implemented in either the iMac or the Mac Pro (the latter is more surprising given the cost of the machine). Also, I can't find final confirmation, but I don't think the Mac Pro uses SATA 3.0? For something that they advertise is not only one of the best desktops you can buy, but also can be a small server, I think this omission (at a relatively low cost) is a big one. I guess I can keep my Macbook Pro and Vista desktop limping along until one or more of these technologies are implemented in either the iMac or the Mac Pro. I'm in need of faster RAM and HD performance due to the large size and amount of pictures I take with my 7D (25MB RAW files) as well as my Pro Tools and Logic Pro sessions. My 4 year old MBP is starting to show its limitations when handling these types of files and I'm itching for a desktop solution.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,697 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 05:30 AM

Looks like, from the ad I received in my email, the track pad is in addition to the magic mouse though I don't know if it comes in the box or you have to pay extra for it. Not a huge reboot for the iMac. In fact, on the outset it looks like they just upgraded the graphics for the lower models and added an i3 processor.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Dennis*G

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 06:34 AM

So they only update the iMac and Mac line once a year?  and the Mac Pro only gets an i3?  Very strange.

#17 of 24 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,176 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 07:52 AM

The iMacs have i3, i5 and i7 options. The Mac Pro is using the Xeon line of processors, which I don't think are in the "i#" series.

Originally Posted by Dennis*G 

So they only update the iMac and Mac line once a year?  and the Mac Pro only gets an i3?  Very strange.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,803 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 08:02 AM

Magic Trackpad is not bundled with any systems, it is an add on accessory only.

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,196 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 27 2010 - 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis*G 

Expect longer waits between hardware refreshes, and less revolutionary refreshes when they come. While Apple is still very much in the PC game, it no longer views itself as a PC company. The iOS-based products are going to be the focus from here on out.

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton

Screenwriter

• 1,464 posts

Posted July 27 2010 - 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

Not a huge reboot for the iMac. In fact, on the outset it looks

like they just upgraded the graphics for the lower models and

added an i3 processor.

One change – you can now order a 27-inch iMac with two internal drives:  a HD and a SSD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users