Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What you you think will happen next with the Saturday Night Live season sets?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 of 47 OFFLINE   Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 01:16 PM

With the release of Fridays,hopefully,the folks at Broadway/Universal will see that there's a demand for sketch comedy shows from the early '80s era.

Edited by Stephen Wight, September 07 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#42 of 47 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 06:17 PM

I would absolutely love to see Seasons 6-10 released on DVD, but the edits made to "Fridays" make me doubtful that even if Shout! Factory assumed the license that we would see uncut episodes. The seasons I mentioned were the first I ever saw of "Saturday Night Live" back when they aired in reruns on Comedy Central in the 90s. My love of 80s pop culture was stoked on by seeing these episodes, and it would be great to see them again. Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo, Mary Gross, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Billy Crystal, Martin Short...They all did amazing stuff, a lot of which can't be seen in the Netflix prints. The music? Awesome stuff. If only we could see it again.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Of course, knowing the disdain Lorne Michaels has for Seasons 6-11, it's possible that if SNL DVDs were to resume, he might jump ahead to Season 12, call that Season 6 and forget the era I love most.

Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#43 of 47 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,039 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 08:39 AM

I would absolutely love to see Seasons 6-10 released on DVD, but the edits made to "Fridays" make me doubtful that even if Shout! Factory assumed the license that we would see uncut episodes. The seasons I mentioned were the first I ever saw of "Saturday Night Live" back when they aired in reruns on Comedy Central in the 90s. My love of 80s pop culture was stoked on by seeing these episodes, and it would be great to see them again. Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo, Mary Gross, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Billy Crystal, Martin Short...They all did amazing stuff, a lot of which can't be seen in the Netflix prints. The music? Awesome stuff. If only we could see it again.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Of course, knowing the disdain Lorne Michaels has for Seasons 6-11, it's possible that if SNL DVDs were to resume, he might jump ahead to Season 12, call that Season 6 and forget the era I love most.

Well said.  I too started seriously watching SNL in the early  80's, and these were the seasons I truly love.  Martin Short, and Billy Crystal were of course the standouts but I remember really liking Christopher Guest, and Tim Kazurinski  too.  I can only dream, but the idea of seasons 6-10 on dvd  really excites me(I'm still shocked we got the first 5 seasons on dvd!).  I'm sure this would sell great.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#44 of 47 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted September 08 2013 - 03:22 PM

Well said.  I too started seriously watching SNL in the early  80's, and these were the seasons I truly love.  Martin Short, and Billy Crystal were of course the standouts but I remember really liking Christopher Guest, and Tim Kazurinski  too.  I can only dream, but the idea of seasons 6-10 on dvd  really excites me(I'm still shocked we got the first 5 seasons on dvd!).  I'm sure this would sell great.

There was some funny stuff during the Piscopo/Murphy years and even the time with Downey Jr. (Robert, not Morton) and Anthony Michael Hall..... and of course, who wouldn't want to hear Charles Rocket utter..... Well,you know

#45 of 47 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 11:28 AM

Rocket was the first one to just drop the bomb.

Prince got away with it in a song performance earlier.

And Paul Shaffer's lucky nobody caught him with it in a sketch from the fifth season.

Given how much time has now gone by since the earlier seasons were released, I'm not sure that we'll ever see any more season sets from SNL's past get released.  It's more likely that they'll just keep issuing "Best of" compilations and the occasional reunion special.

But I'd be very happy to see Shout Factory license out a few years of the show if they ever wanted to do it.  The thing is, the show is almost 40 seasons old at this point.  Trying to do a complete "So Far" set would be a ridiculous undertaking. They could do a "Complete 1980s" set, I suppose, or a "Complete 1990s" set. Just not sure how they'd market that.

#46 of 47 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,462 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 11:54 AM

They should release each current season as it airs.

#47 of 47 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 06:36 PM

Half the sketches seemed to be missing on Netflix's airing of SNL: the 80's Years--I'd wanted to look up the 1988 Leslie Nielsen episode--to try and find the "1960's Movie" sketch I hadn't seen since it aired (an early Mike Myers inspiration for the Austin Powers movies)--and found the "episode" a half hour long and missing most of the sketches.

The description for the 1990 Jeremy Irons episode even describes it as having the "Sherlock Holmes' Birthday" sketch, but it never even appears on the 35-min. long version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users