What's new

Mad Men - Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Might as well kick off the new thread...

Starting tonight at 10 EST on AMC, begins season 4 of the compelling, emmy-award-winning series, chronicling the life and times of Don Draper and company.

I am really looking forward to this season.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Advance reviews have been excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing how the events of 1964 influence the show. The Beatles craze started in February. Freedom Summer was in '64, also known as the Mississippi Summer Project. For the world of advertising, one of the most significant moments was the infamous Daisy ad (which only aired once, in September, but we still see it today; it was quite an uproar at the time).

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Is it possible to start watching this show now, after not seeing a single ep thus far.

I dont even know what this series is about, but vie heard good things.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I'd have to answer, "Yes".

It would be a good idea to buy or rent the earlier seasons and catch up also.

Don't know your age, but it is more fun when you have memories of the 1960's

"Johhnnnn, MARRRSHA!"

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure you can start watching now (I started watched Buffy as S4->S7, S1->S3), but I have to believe it's better to start at the beginning and work your way up. Otherwise, you'll know a lot about where the characters are going when you watch those earlier episodes, and you won't know where they came from this season if you don't watch the earlier episodes first. You'll still get a lot of enjoyment watching out of order, but you'd get more enjoyment watching in order.

Living in the house your ex paid (and pays) for rent free with your new man in asking a lot. It'd be different if it were just her.

The new advertising agency has a long way to go, but has already come a long way since we left off.

Don continues to have only a passing relationship with the truth, and he's one of those people who gets rewarded for lying (he's good at it). Then again, some would say that's the essence of a successful ad man.

For awhile there it was difficult for me to remember how last season left off. It almost looked like a flashback because all the main characters from the old agency were at the new one, even the original bosses.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
there were alot of people not at the new agency.

what was the john marsha thing?

i do find it intersting that everyone is starting to see things wrong with betty. makes me wonder if they are pushing to her having something or just really going insane.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Originally Posted by Shane D

what was the john marsha thing?

They were riffing on a popular Stan Freberg parody of soap operas. It was one of his (if not his) first routines released on record in the early 1950s and is compiled on a lot of his "best of" releases.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Frigging brilliant.

Clearly, Don is/was going through some self-loathing. The end of the episode seems to signal an end to it. We've never really seen what an unleashed, untethered Don Draper is capable of accomplishing. I guess we'll see now.

I'm not sure we'd get into political advertising, Sam. I don't think the show ever has. But, the Daisy ad is certainly the kind of daring/envelope pushing advertising Don Draper would be going for. And, SCDP seems to be modeled after DDB.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Originally Posted by Quentin

Frigging brilliant.

Clearly, Don is/was going through some self-loathing. The end of the episode seems to signal an end to it. We've never really seen what an unleashed, untethered Don Draper is capable of accomplishing. I guess we'll see now.

I'm not sure we'd get into political advertising, Sam. I don't think the show ever has. But, the Daisy ad is certainly the kind of daring/envelope pushing advertising Don Draper would be going for. And, SCDP seems to be modeled after DDB.
The WSJ interview was Don putting a faux second floor on Don Draper. Given he invented himself from almost whole cloth once before, if he pulls it off again, he will not only be the man he was describing and "playing" in the interview, the new agency will probably have a real second floor. Then again, maybe they will just have a conference table, and either way, Don will be secretly miserable. :)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I don't know if he'll be secretly miserable or not. One of the great 'secrets' of this show is that we still don't know what Don REALLY wants in life. Maybe he's finally embracing his true self?

Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden

The WSJ interview was Don putting a faux second floor on Don Draper. Given he invented himself from almost whole cloth once before, if he pulls it off again, he will not only be the man he was describing and "playing" in the interview, the new agency will probably have a real second floor. Then again, maybe they will just have a conference table, and either way, Don will be secretly miserable. :)

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Great start to the season. Loved the new offices, but I was a bit sad that so many of the supporting players no longer have a role, particularly Kinsey. But I guess it would strain believability to bring everyone along for the ride…

Originally Posted by Quentin

In the first season Bert Cooper was very eager for Sterling Cooper to handle advertising for Nixon 1960 campaign. If I remember correctly the firm even purchased prime ad time in major markets, creating problems for the Kennedy. There were not any overt Nixon spots depicted though.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought the premiere was terrific. Very funny in places; the dialogue in the beginning was great. Very disturbing in places, as we see the changes in Don - paying prostitutes, sadism, losing it with clients. He made it very clear that he has no patience for so-called family values. Also disturbing was Sally's behavior.

It's a joy to watch such a well-written, well-acted, and well-produced show.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Paul McGowan

Is it possible to start watching this show now, after not seeing a single ep thus far.

I dont even know what this series is about, but vie heard good things.

I'd at least catch the premiere, as it has a hook that runs through the storyline that'd be ruined by dropping in now.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
The most recent 'This American Life' has some interesting stuff on the relationship between Julian Koenig and George Lois, mostly about Koenig's jealousy over Lois taking credit for his work. Recall, that Don remarked that he saw 'Koenig's hand' all over Smitty and Kurt's portfolio.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Didn't think Roger would cave on the Santa suit.

It was tough seeing Don's secretary all crushed up inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks