What's new

The Pillars of the Earth (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
So the first two episodes of the mini-series adaptation of The Pillars of the Earth aired on Friday on Starz (HBO Canada shows it here), and I was thoroughly impressed. The plot moves at break-neck speed, and the acting is great from all of the principles (a few extras fall flat, but that's expected). The set-dressings make everything look very authentic and "lived in," so another kudos to crew.

I'll be tuning in for the entire eight episodes, that's for sure. Anyone else tune in?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It is very well done. Looking at the emmy noms for miniseries, the title could also be: "Miniseries Aren't just HBO". Great cast. Really great cast.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the book at our local book swap and on the same day, I saw the commercials for the mini-series.

Went on vacation and I am about 1/3 through the book and started watching the show last night.

So far it stays pretty true to the book but sometimes it strays. Since I haven't finished the book yet, I think they may be pulling some events that I haven't read about yet.

It's weird watching this while reading the book, since I started the book before the series, I had already imagined the characters looks already. Most are pretty close to what I imagined, Ellen is way off from the way they described her in the book.

I also didn't picture Ian McShane as Walern - lol But it is great to watch him act.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I also picked the book up just before the airing of the mini-series. I found a pristine copy at the local Goodwill for $2.50--not a bad deal considering the cover price is $29.95 CAD, and the spine hadn't been cracked at all, nor the pages even touched.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Surprised at how much I'm enjoying this. Been going through this all day on my DVR playing catchup. Good stuff so far!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'm shocked at how much material they've gone through on three episodes. The book must be a doozy considering there are 5 more eps to go.

The cast is great (Sewell and McShane are particular standouts), but I can't get over how much the actor who plays Prior Phillip looks like Data. And the guy who plays Jack looks so much like Carrot Top that I giggle inside whenever the camera lingers on his face.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
This is a superb series, I'm really enjoying it. Great to see McShane back on TV. Thrilled they're planning on filming the sequel too. :)

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo ... I can't get over how much the actor who plays ... Jack looks so much like Carrot Top

I also thought of Courtney Gains (Children of the Corn, 1984).

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by mattCR

Oh what a tangled web.. the series is very well done. It makes me want to read the books now.

I'm reading the first book now, and it's great.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I have just been amazed at the quality of this series. Starz has really had a good year with complex storytelling. Both "Spartacus" and "Pillars" started out kind of slow, but they built steadily. Just a great block last night. A great block.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
What a conclusion. All the interweaving stories neatly wrapped up. The final shot of the cathedral in modern times was a nice touch. Does someone know the location of the church shown? I know there is a real Kingsbridge, England but the Kingsbridge in the book was a fictional place.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
It was very good. A bit different from the book but still nicely done.

The follow-up book or sequel, is The World Without End. It takes place in Kingsbridge 200 years after Pillars of the Earth. It follows some of the ancestors of the characters of Pillars.

I have read that they will be adapting The World Without End for a mini-series as well.

From Ken Follett's site;

Tandem acquires the rights to World Without End

World Without End, the sequel to The Pillars of the Earth, has been optioned by Tandem Communications for a possible eight-hour television series, in conjunction with Ridley and Tony Scott's Scott Free Films. Screenwriter John Pielmeier, who scripted The Pillars of the Earth mini-series, will adapt World Without End.

Starz Entertainment is co-funding the writing portion with Tandem.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm trying to think of when that would put the sequel.. 1400/1500s? Starz had two of the best finales of the year this year.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I just read the book, it takes place in the happy days of the 50's - 1350's. The great times in England where there was plague, church rule and lots of serfs and few landowners.

It was just as good as Pillars

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks