What's new

Hawaii Five-O: Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Mister-Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Quigley
I have managed to get a copy of the Hawaii Five-O season 9 DVD box set in advance of its release date, and have posted some interesting facts about it on my Five-O WWW site:

http://www.mjq.net/fiveo/news/season9dvds.htm

Let the debate begin -- is this the last truly good Five-O season? I am already finding several turkeys in the list of episodes, revisiting them after many years!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot Mike for the preview.

I appreciate all the great work you've done on your Hawaii Five-0 site. I refer to it often when watching the DVD's! So it was great to see your preview. I wasn't sure how much farther I was going to go with the sets as I'm going through season 7 now, but I think I just may well go to the 9th season and see how it goes.

I also appreciate the links on your site. The story about the fan who saved the 1968 Mercury that was used as McGarrett's car was great! I'm a car guy, so it's great to see it saved. Now that I'm into the 7th season, it wasn't clear yet when they switched cars. I kept thinking they partially destroyed McGarrett's car when a thug tried to kill McGarrett. But I'm seeing him in the newer bigger Mercury now. What a boat!

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
I´ve never heard of the series because it´s not so well known in Germany but I´m surprised that CBS/Paramount have released all nine seasons.

Is the series so popular in the US?

Is the series better than "Cannon", Streets of San Francisco, Vega$, Matt Houston, Barnaby and other CBS/Paramount series?

It seems that a lot of people were buying the DVD sets, otherwise CBS/Paramount wouldn´t released all nine seasons.....-right?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hawaii Five-O has a huge following You may want to check out this link: http://www.mjq.net/fiveo/ Hawaii Five-O was the second longest crime drama next to law and order Magnum PI was filmed in Hawaii using some of the equipment left behind by Hawaii Five-O Here is another quote: Today, Hawaii Five-O remains deathlessly popular in rerun form. All over the world, this show continues to be a staple of syndicated programming. Meanwhile, Jack Lord has attained icon status in the world of hipster cool, and the show’s punchy theme song has become a perennial favorite on oldies radio. This long-standing success proves that Hawaii Five-O has surpassed its initial cop-show-with-a-gimmick status to become a vital part of American pop culture http://www.skooldays.com/categories/primetime/pt1352.htm I would encourage you to check out internet for Hawaii Five-O information. You also can not forget the catch phrase Bookem Danno!!!

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Originally Posted by younger1968 I would encourage you to check out internet for Hawaii Five-O information. You also can not forget the catch phrase Bookem Danno!!!
Thank you. I was wondering why "Streets of San Francisco" and "Hawaii 5-0" have English subtitles and other CBS/Paramount shows as "Vega$, Matt Houston etc.... has not!

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I am 46 and grew up with H5-0 on my parents TV, but never really was into it until now !

I now have seasons 1-7 and just waiting to save my pennies to get season 8.

I really hated seeing Kono leave the show after season 4 as he gave the show some much needed humor and Ben and following replacements were sorta stiff.

What are the rumors for seasons 10-12 in the future ?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino

I´ve never heard of the series because it´s not so well known in Germany but I´m surprised that CBS/Paramount have released all nine seasons.

I grew up on West German bases in the early '70s and Hawaii Five-O was on Armed Forces TV.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by shadyguy

I am 46 and grew up with H5-0 on my parents TV, but never really was into it until now !

I now have seasons 1-7 and just waiting to save my pennies to get season 8.

I really hated seeing Kono leave the show after season 4 as he gave the show some much needed humor and Ben and following replacements were sorta stiff.

What are the rumors for seasons 10-12 in the future ?

Danno/Chin Ho Kelly were great cast member, but, the show really struggled after Kono left. I did hear a rumour that Ben was replaced, because he was taller than McGarrett and that bother Jack Lord. Duke was an alright replacement, but, just did not have the same appeal as Kono, who was true blue hawaiin.

I hope that 2011 we see s10 and S11 and then 2012 we see the last season. I have watch all S1-S9 again and it is very good to watch them as re-mastered, because it feels like you are watching the shows for the first time.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I preferred the Danno / Chin / Kono combination. Along with McGarrett, they were a great team. I liked Duke, but I thought he was better as an HPD guy. At any rate, keep the season sets coming.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I think most fans prefer the original crew and nobody really disliked Ben, but he was not given much to work with.

I agree with Chris that Duke was better suited as a street cop with HPD !

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Add me also to the list of people who liked Duke better with HPD, than as a 5-0 detective. Wish Jack Lord would have keep Ben, as he was by far Kono's best replacement. I hope it wasn't (as someone else posted) that he was let go because he was taller than Jack Lord...that would be an incredibly self centered reason.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I have heard the same rumor about Al Harrington from the Hawaii Five-0 homepage website I believe.

Makes you wonder why Harrington was even hired in the first place by Lord, maybe they needed a quick replacement for Kono !

Harrington is one of the few H5-0 cast that is still alive and sure would be nice to have an interview with him or maybe Danno !

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
OK, If Harrington was canned due to his height, then why was the replacement (Frank) about 3-4 inches taller than Ben ??

Go figure ?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
much as I wanted to lament the end of Kono or Ben and the rise of Duke, the three characters are rather interchangeable on the page. McGarrett says something and they go do it. They don't even have any real specialty that makes them vital to the team. They're on par with the later season Untouchables in their ability to display very little personality in the performance of their job. Even Chin Ho doesn't get to play his vet cop with major connections role in a majority of the episodes. McGarrett's character just dwarfs them all during a case. There is rarely an interior life to the characters - it's all business to them.

It's also most comical how the remake wants to focus on how the team comes together and their various skill sets since that's the least of the concerns on the original. Do hope they go into overdrive on these last three sets to cash in on all the hype for the new series

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey3rd

Do hope they go into overdrive on these last three sets to cash in on all the hype for the new series

Unless the bottom really drops out (i.e. the Economy sinks even more) I think CBS/P will finish this series up next year. Of all the older classics that the company has in the pipeline, I still believe Hawaii Five-O and Perry Mason are the most secure. If either of those two disappear off the schedule I'd take that as horrible news for the entire "Vintage TV on DVD" market. In other words, if either of those two shows gets dropped it's bad news for all the other classics because they are at the top of the mountain and probably bring CBS/P better sales than any of the other classic shows in their library. So I look for them to keep being churned out.

Gary "I'd be really shocked if we don't have every season of H5-O by the end of 2011" O.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hawaii Five-O was Steve McGarrett. The other characters were just to support him and his orders. The only one that had a little more say and that was Danno. The other characters just did the grunt work in the cases. Duke was added, because i believe McGarrett's character like Duke and wanted to promote him to the team. However, in most cases duke is doing the leg work, like following people around or interviewing people. Very rarely does he do an action scene those seem to more geared to McGarrett and Danno.

I do hope that Hawaii Five-O finishes up 10-12 season in the next year. I would love to complete my set. I am not interested in the new show and will not be watching it. I think it is geared more for the younger generation than the older generation. The fact they added a female just adds to where there demographic focus is on. I think this show may have some trouble, because neither bionic woman and/or knight rider had much success. I think somethings are better left in the vault and released on dvd -vs- trying to recreate shows from the past. The past is the past and it is different era we live in now. It is just unfortunate that hollywood has run out of ideas.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
Most remakes of vintage shows have been huge flops except Battlestar Galactica !

The old ones that were really popular and lasted several years never make it as remakes, but stuff like BG that only lasted a year or so can be remade and rehashed because they do not have a mega huge following.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I don't think that just adding a woman will do anything to make it a flop, today is obviously a different era and we are well past the point that a show has to be male dominated. I jst agree that we had 12 years of H5O, and about 160 shows, it's been done, lets move on. Unfortunately shows that are unique and different are not given a chance to grow they get cancelled right away, thats why networks Like FX and AMC are thriving and CBS and NBC are Languishing. Would either of them aired Breaking bad or Mad Men or Walking Dead, in fact I think Fox passed on Breaking Bad.. think they are sorry bout that, several emmy winners later ?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute Gary, Hawaii Five-0 and Perry Mason are bigger hits then Star Trek TOS? I'm only kidding you, I think I understand what you're saying about vintage TV shows on DVD. Star Trek is not a normal case, with all the different iterations Paramount and now CBS has been selling, I don't think any other TV series has had as many different releases on so many formats!

It would be great to see the rest of the Hawaii Five-0 sets out on DVD. What is funny for me, when I grew up during this era, I watched Hawaii Five-0 on network. I'm watching the Season 7 set now and I plan to get 8 and 9. But I think at the time the series was airing, I only watched it up till about 9th season and I began to lose interest. I recall seeing a few of the 10th, 11th and 12th. By then with Chin gone and Danno gone and the new cast of characters added, it just wasn't the same.

Regarding Ben verses Kono and Duke, sure, McGarrett was the show. They were support. What is funny to see is the first season. They really were a team. And to see Chin Ho in the pilot is a hoot! He's got personality and to see Kono joking around is also great!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson Au I'm only kidding you, I think I understand what you're saying about vintage TV shows on DVD. Star Trek is not a normal case, with all the different iterations Paramount and now CBS has been selling, I don't think any other TV series has had as many different releases on so many formats!

Regarding Ben verses Kono and Duke, sure, McGarrett was the show. They were support. What is funny to see is the first season. They really were a team. And to see Chin Ho in the pilot is a hoot! He's got personality and to see Kono joking around is also great!

Nelson, you are right about Star Trek. That series, with all its incarnations, is literally in its own universe. I never thought about including it with the other 50's/60's CBS/Paramount offerings.

I also agree that in the first season there was more of a team orientation to Hawaii Five-O. And I do miss that as the seasons progress along and it becomes more and more of the "McGarrett Show", so to speak. I have bought each season set as they were released, but I'm seriously considering stopping right here at S9. I don't really want to see Chin Ho bite the bullet at the end of S10. I may or may not buy that set. But I can guarantee that if I do buy it it will be the last one. I'm not in for the last 2 seasons, when I felt the show really dropped in quality.

Gary "it has been great revisiting this show via DVD over the last several years" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks