Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WTB: A Better 4" Speaker

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   negcreep

negcreep

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 22 2010 - 12:06 PM

I inherited a set of towers with 4" speakers and small tweeters in them. I'm looking to upgrade the speakers since they seem generic and very cheap. I'm not looking for anything too spectacular just something better than these. If you have something that you're willing to sell for around $80 for the pair, please let me know. Also, I have the enclosure so I only need speakers. Thanks for looking. -Brian

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,792 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted July 22 2010 - 03:37 PM

Home theater drivers aren't like car stereo speakers. Where pretty much all 4" car stereo speakers are inter-changable, meaning they are all exactly the same size and ohm rating, home drivers that are called 4" can be anywhere from 3 3/4" to almost 5 inches.

And there's a lot more to replacing drivers then just getting something the same size. But since they are relatively in-expensive speakers and you're not expecting anything too spectacular then I suggest you look at PartsExpress.com for replacements. The most important spec to look at is the ohm rating. Hopefully your old drivers/tweeters have the ohm rating on the back of the magnets. And just because the speaker itself is rated at say, 8 ohms doesn't mean the drivers are also 8 ohm. They could be 4 ohm.

The Partsexpress house brand, Dayton, has some good in-expensive options. Goldwood is another to look at.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users