Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

After Bionics, What Time-Life should do?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 of 81 BroHowl

BroHowl

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted August 25 2010 - 02:39 PM

It takes a thief with Robert Wagner
66 Episodes seems perfect for them taking into account past releases
 always going for complete series

#22 of 81 LeoA

LeoA

Supporting Actor

• 807 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted August 25 2010 - 04:15 PM

I believe it was filmed unlike some of the other music variety shows of the 60s that also aired in prime time.

Even if it's not and the film elements don't exist in ABC's vault, the King Family has the complete run on tape for both incarnations of the program (Not limited to just the holiday specials that were routinely reaired each holiday season into the 1990s, and the non holiday episodes which even saw some syndication in the 70s). It's not a lost program, just send one of the family members a email for a confirmation. :)

They put up a new song on YouTube every few months. There are some excellent ones with the King Cousins especially that they've uploaded. They were always the highlights of the program if you ask me. They also sell several episodes from the series on DVD (With hopefully more to come, I'd love to see them make the entire run available).

Here are some of my favorites that they've uploaded:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

Are you talking about the ABC show from the mid-60s? If so, I really question as to the show still existing. They aren't at any archive that I'm aware of and ABC was notorious for dumping all of their videotaped variety shows of that era. I think if it did exist on kinescopes, then they would be at UCLA but they are not.

#23 of 81 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted August 26 2010 - 04:49 AM

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis

Homefront (with the original broadcast music intact)

The Fall Guy (with the original broadcast music intact)

#24 of 81 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,329 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 09:22 AM

How about Sonny & Cher?

Maverick would be an instant sale in my household...

The Carol Burnett Show, of course. Probably too big for one boxed set, but we'll see.

Any love still for American Dreams, with all original music intact and both versions of the series finale? Time Life seems to have good deals with music publishers...maybe they'd be the ones to straighten out this series' incredibly large catalog of aired songs? I would absolutely love to see this show in its entirety--it's about 60 episodes, and with the alternate ending, would play like a long, sprawling 60s family mini-series. I think a complete series set would be incredibly wonderful on dvd.

#25 of 81 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted September 13 2010 - 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Steve...O 

Time Life has deep pockets, but are they deep enough to clear all the rights problems with Batman (or Shazam for that matter) ??

If rights holders flat out don't want to negotiate then it probably won't happen.

There are no rights issues with Shazam, it's just Warner Bros. don't seem to have much interest in getting this out (they claimed "masters issues" a long time ago in one chat, but didn't elaborate.

#26 of 81 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted September 13 2010 - 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney 

There are no rights issues with Shazam, it's just Warner Bros. don't seem to have much interest in getting this out (they claimed "masters issues" a long time ago in one chat, but didn't elaborate.

Did FILMATION shoot SHAZAM! in 16mm or 35mm?

#27 of 81 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted September 14 2010 - 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by DeWilson 

Did FILMATION shoot SHAZAM! in 16mm or 35mm?

16mm, which was par for the course for children's TV in the '70s.

I really don't understand what WB's problems were with masters, though. At least the film prints to Shazam! survive: when Hallmark got its hands on the rest of Filmation's adventure series (Isis, Ark II, Space Academy, Jason of Star Command) they actually destroyed the film prints after they converted them to digital tape. Problem there is they only converted them to the PAL standard, as they had no intentions of US distrubution.

The seven episode of Shazam! that were shown on TV Land a few years back looked in decent-enough condition to me. Certainly looked better than Isis and the others.

#28 of 81 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted September 14 2010 - 04:02 AM

Would be awesome if Time-Life or even Timeless or Shout! for that matter would do Universal's Owen Marshall - Counselor At Law (1971-74), our very good friend here Lee Majors co-stars in this classic courtroom gem so why not after these Bionics. We all know and love the western shows he appeared in, this even has a great rousing western-like theme tune (by Elmer 'Magnificent Seven' Bernstein) and among the directors a young Steven Spielberg. I also agree with Rick's suggestion, by the way.

#29 of 81 shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted September 15 2010 - 05:30 PM

A lot of quality shows mentioned already -- of course Batman and Maverick would be front and centre if I had a say...

To add something to the discussion, i'd toss in

Car 54, Where Are You?

Courtship of Eddie's Father

The Green Hornet

the original Battlestar Galactica

Cade's County

Police Story

The Loner (Lloyd Bridges)

Climax!

#30 of 81 shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted September 15 2010 - 05:31 PM

A lot of quality shows mentioned already -- of course Batman and Maverick would be front and centre if I had a say...

To add something to the discussion, i'd toss in

Car 54, Where Are You?

Courtship of Eddie's Father

The Green Hornet

the original Battlestar Galactica

Cade's County

Police Story

The Loner (Lloyd Bridges)

Climax!

#31 of 81 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,381 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted September 15 2010 - 11:49 PM

Miniseries:

And the Sea Will Tell

Cliffhangers

The Gangster Chronicles

How The West Was Won

TV- Movies:

The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything

The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Dynamite

One of my Wives is Missing

The "Frank Janek" movie series with Richard Crenna

Unreleased Series:

Batman

Dennis the Menace

Eight Is Enough

Fury (R1)

Mike Hammer (80's)

Ozzie and Harriet complete remastered series set

Stalled (or unknown status) Series:

Barnaby Jones

Barney Miller

Big Valley

Black Sheep Squadron (remaining 13 episodes unreleased)

The Equalizer

The Fall Guy

Fantasy Island

Hardy Boys/Nancy  Drew

Hill St. Blues

Lone Ranger

Rawhide

Rifleman Complete Remastered Series Set

Welcome Back Kotter

Who's the Boss

Never Happen Wish:

Re--release of "Earth 2" on single-sided (no DVD-18's) discs

"         of  The Fugitive with original music restored

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#32 of 81 dhammer

dhammer

Second Unit

• 300 posts

Posted September 15 2010 - 11:58 PM

I have to agree and if it ever happens I suspect they will.

#33 of 81 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted September 16 2010 - 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisCook 

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis

I agree with this one. An iconic series and I think it would be a great choice to put out.

#34 of 81 Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,560 posts

Posted September 16 2010 - 06:38 PM

If Time Life released batman, I would have such a raging Nerd Boner, I would probably be arrested for dry-humping the mailman whenever it finally came out.

#35 of 81 JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted November 28 2010 - 12:47 AM

To change the question a bit, what series in 2011 should get the box treatment (not just from Time Life)?

Challenge of the Gobots?

Inspector Gadget?

Heathcliff?

Never thought there would be boxed sets for GI Joe, and Transformers, though.

I still likely classic contenders (outside of Adam West's Batman) would be WKRP in Cincinatti (possibly with the sequel series) and Eight is Enough.

It seems that Time Life is doing one classic series a year, and I think it would be more likely for them to do "older" programs before trying programs like China Beach and more contemporary unreleased programs.

James

#36 of 81 JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted November 28 2010 - 12:49 AM

Also keep thinking The Girl from Uncle should come as well, since Man From Uncle was done recently.

James

#37 of 81 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,186 posts

Posted November 28 2010 - 05:14 AM

All nineteen seasons of Lassie! Why hasn't anybody condered doing a proper release of this timeless series? And they need to release ALL of the seasons. In my area, the Syndicators LEFT OUT Seasons four, nine, ten and eleven, dividing the series in three, calling the first three seasons Jeff's Collie, Seasons five to eight Timmy and Lassie and seasons 12 to 19 simply Lassie. This made me believe (Bear in mind this was Pre-Internet Days) that there were three separate series on the Lassie Theme. Only recently (Using a means I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me), was I able to see the missing Episodes of those "Lost" Seasons and put the pieces together on how the Dawg Changed Owners!

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 33,619( 727 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,363   :B)  Serial Chapters - 1,102 :B)

#38 of 81 Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted November 28 2010 - 06:43 AM

Not sure how much the rights issues figure into it, but I would love to buy this as a Complete Series set.

#39 of 81 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts

Posted November 29 2010 - 12:14 AM

Definitely The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. as a companion to the previously released Man From U.N.C.L.E.  Also, I'd love to see T/L pick up where Shout! Factory left off and this time get down to business with Fox for remastered prints to put out: Peyton Place: The Complete Series, with all 514 half-hours and new interviews with the surviving stars (sadly we just lost PP featured player Leslie Nielsen :().

Maybe T/L is the one group that can clear all the rights issues regarding the Holy Grails of unreleased shows- The Wonder Years and Batman!!

Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#40 of 81 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted November 30 2010 - 11:44 AM

Complete Love Boat is my dream set.

Since that's a pipe dream... may as well make it a Fantasy Island double header,

but if anyone from T-L is reading, make the complete Love Boat happen,

i'll buy it whatever it costs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users