Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The long-awaited official press releases (with details!) for THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN and THE BIONIC WOMAN

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
348 replies to this topic

#1 of 349 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted July 21 2010 - 08:07 AM

SMDM:   http://tvshowsondvd....te-Series/14119

BW:  http://tvshowsondvd....-1-Extras/14118

#2 of 349 OFFLINE   Jeff*H

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted July 21 2010 - 09:32 AM

Wow!  I bet every SMDM and BW fan out there will have a bionic boner after reading these announcements!  I cannot say how truly overjoyed I am to finally have these after all these years of watching my old Sci Fi Channel recordings.  This appears to be an absolutely incredible presentation (let's see here----audio chip, lenticular packaging, 3 pilot movies, 3 reunion movies, digitally preserved and remastered episodes, cross-over BW episodes, 8 hours of bonus features including Richard Anderson and Lee Majors).  What's not to love??  Even if it's $200, I could care less.  Sign me up, I want to pre-order that bionic f***er right this instant!!!!

Facebook members, be sure to visit my Hawaii Five-0 Celebration page:  http://www.facebook....113331868678710

#3 of 349 OFFLINE   Joseph Burns

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted July 21 2010 - 12:56 PM

The wait is over — let the waiting begin!

The news has been brewing for a while now, but finally something official. Let me just say that as a long time fan, I really appreciate the depth of attention to detail and completeness of this release. If the quality of the release is in proportion to the wait, I'd say it's worth it.

Getting it right on the 1973 movies, including the reunion movies and getting new interviews, how cool is that? Perhaps if we had gotten the release back in 2001, the old syndication packages would have rolled out, no frills, as in the UK releases, stopping after 2 seasons. The first two may indeed be my favorites, but how can you call the saga complete with three seasons (mostly) unreleased?

Now we've got it all (or will come November). There will always be regrets, but this is extraordinarily good news.

"I didn't know you had antennae."

#4 of 349 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted July 21 2010 - 03:56 PM

I got hosed paying $160 For the complete Get Smart later to see each season for fifteen bucks. not sure I want to do that again. Ok ...yes I will.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#5 of 349 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted July 21 2010 - 05:43 PM

Sweet mother of god! I cant tell you how much I have a raging boner right now! This will be mine, oh yes - this will be mine!

#6 of 349 OFFLINE   dhammer

dhammer

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted July 21 2010 - 09:04 PM

I wish I had the discipline to wait to buy this set until the price drops. I don't think I can. This is one of those fundamental, critical releases I want as soon as I can get my hands on it. The Bionic women to a lesser degree as well.

#7 of 349 OFFLINE   Daniel Bakken

Daniel Bakken

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted July 21 2010 - 09:12 PM

Any word on a blu release?

#8 of 349 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted July 22 2010 - 12:26 AM

Any guesses on how much it'll cost? Two hundred? Three Hundred? Four Hundred?

With that special packaging, how much do you think that'll add to the price?

Any real guesses?

James

#9 of 349 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,993 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted July 22 2010 - 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa 

I got hosed paying $160 For the complete Get Smart later to see each season for fifteen bucks. not sure I want to do that again. Ok ...yes I will.

Didn't the Time-Life release have exclusive bonuses that weren't on those individual sets, though?

#10 of 349 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,993 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted July 22 2010 - 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Joseph Burns 

Getting it right on the 1973 movies, including the reunion movies and getting new interviews, how cool is that?

Well, although the news release is encouraging, it's no guarantee that they will indeed get it right. I remember Universal (UK) had a Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Movies collection on VHS several years back, which was promoted as the complete collection of telemovies. Well, when those of us who ordered it received them, we found that, contrary to what was advertised, all of the two-part episodes were in their two-part TV versions, not the extended movie versions. It was only the ones that combined stand-alone episodes we got the movies for, so as you can imagine, BG fans like me (who were expecting the extended movie edits of the two-parters) were well cheesed-off!

Even though they say "BW crossover episodes", what's to keep them from accidentally (or accidentally-on-purpose) giving us all three parts of "Kill Oscar" as BW episodes? They could do like the UK arm of Universal and screw up by handing us an episodic version of one (or more) of the pilots, or a two-part version of episodes that were originally shows as 2-hour specials (like "The Bionc Boy" or "The Lost Island").

I hate to introduce doubt, but unless we hear a concrete announcement that all the episodes are "as originally televised on ABC" or see news from someone who has seen the materials being used, I say we should wait and see if it's as good as we're being led to believe. The broadcast/archive history of these shows is very complicated with the cross-overs, two-hour episodes and all the syndication changes that there exists huge potential to get something wrong!

#11 of 349 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,993 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted July 22 2010 - 12:41 AM

oops! duplicate post!

#12 of 349 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,946 posts

Posted July 22 2010 - 12:59 AM

Looking forward to this, and glad TL is handling SMDM. I have yet to see TL do anything but outstanding work on a release, and this sounds like no exception.

#13 of 349 OFFLINE   Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted July 22 2010 - 04:09 AM

It's just a shame that it completely screws people outside of the USA since Time Life won't ship to them.

#14 of 349 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted July 22 2010 - 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nebiroth 

It's just a shame that it completely screws people outside of the USA since Time Life won't ship to them.

As with most releases from the major studios, Time Life may be contractually licensed to offer the set only in the U.S.  However, you can be sure there will be dealers who acquire sets to resell them on Ebay and/or Amazon (at a premium over TL's price).

#15 of 349 OFFLINE   cherisland

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted July 22 2010 - 04:39 AM

When the complete Get Smart set was originally released by Time Life, I was able to order it here in Canada. I am hoping that I will be able to do the same for the SMDM set as well.

#16 of 349 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted July 25 2010 - 01:51 PM

Do you think they might include a featurette on the Six Million Dollar Man toys back than?

Remember Masketron?

Ah. . . .great toys.

James

#17 of 349 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 637 posts

Posted July 26 2010 - 02:12 AM

Yeah, I remember having Steve Austin and his space capsule. I also had a plastic hand held movie camera toy where you cranked the handle and you could view the show's opening sequence (of course without sound).

#18 of 349 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted July 26 2010 - 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney 

Didn't the Time-Life release have exclusive bonuses that weren't on those individual sets, though?

I didn't get the Get Smart set, but I know that the TL set of the Real Ghostbusters did have a bonus disc and some cool packaging that you couldn't get elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JamesSmith ../../..

Do you think they might include a featurette on the Six Million Dollar Man toys back than?

Remember Masketron?

Ah. . . .great toys.

I didnt have Masketron, but I did have Steve (with roll-up skin on his arm! And an eye you could look through!), Oscar with his exploding briefcase full of top secret documents and the Venus Probe that crashed in the desert that Steve had to throw down with. That thing was hella cool! Of all my toys, I wish I still had that one! (Hopefully the episodes live up to the rose tinted memories of youth)

***EDIT***

Oh hell! Here it is: http://bionic.wikia....ace_Probe_(Toy)

#19 of 349 OFFLINE   thetoonguy

thetoonguy

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted July 26 2010 - 05:27 AM

Quote:

Yes, the TL release for Get Smart had an extra disc for each season with a ton of bonus material on each. That's the only thing that makes me not cry when I see the individual sets on sale at Target for $10-15 when I paid a total of $180 for mine. Then again I had mine for quite a long time before they even started releasing the individual sets. So I guess that's something as well...

#20 of 349 OFFLINE   Joseph Burns

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted August 14 2010 - 08:05 AM

Well, although the news release is encouraging, it's no guarantee that they will indeed get it right.

(snip)

Even though they say "BW crossover episodes", what's to keep them from accidentally (or accidentally-on-purpose) giving us all three parts of "Kill Oscar" as BW episodes? They could do like the UK arm of Universal and screw up by handing us an episodic version of one (or more) of the pilots, or a two-part version of episodes that were originally shows as 2-hour specials (like "The Bionc Boy" or "The Lost Island").

I hate to introduce doubt, but unless we hear a concrete announcement that all the episodes are "as originally televised on ABC" or see news from someone who has seen the materials being used, I say we should wait and see if it's as good as we're being led to believe. The broadcast/archive history of these shows is very complicated with the cross-overs, two-hour episodes and all the syndication changes that there exists huge potential to get something wrong!

You're preaching to the choir, Andy. I've got a whole website dedicated to these issues.

Time-Life is handling the release, not Universal, so Uni's past handling of releases is less of an issue here. I can't go beyond the press release as to what we'll be getting (Level 6 security clearance required), but rest assured, TL is aware of these permutations. All that can reasonably be done is being done. Maybe more.

Don't despair! The aim here is to be definitive and complete, and IMHO they're pulling it off.

"I didn't know you had antennae."