Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) Blu-ray Book

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,983 posts

Posted July 19 2010 - 08:48 AM

Posted Image 

“Just about the perfect adventure picture. Savagely exciting and rousingly dramatic.”

Andre Sennwald, The New York Times

CELEBRATING ITS 75TH ANNIVERSARY

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1935)

DEBUTS ON BLU-RAY™ NOVEMBER 16

FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO

Winner of the Academy Award® for Best Picture (1935)

The High Seas Adventure Starring Clark Gable Has Been Restored, Remastered and Presented in a Beautiful Blu-ray Book

BURBANK, Calif., July 19, 2010 – Winner of the Academy Award® for Best Picture (1935), MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1935), the mightiest adventure tale told on the high seas, sails across the screen for its Blu-ray debut in a beautiful Blu-ray Book on November 16. Celebrating the film’s 75th anniversary, the bonus Blu-ray Book boasts more than 30 pages filled with photos from the archives of FrankLloydFilms.com, which depict dramatic imagery from the film and rare insight into the production of the movie. Orders are due October 12 (SRP $34.99).

Directed by Frank Lloyd, winner of two Academy Awards® for Best Director for Cavalcade (1933) and The Divine Lady (1930), MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY stars the “King of Hollywood,” Clark Gable, ranked # 7 among the 50 Greatest American Screen Legends by The American Film Institute (1999). Adapted from the novel by Charles Nordhoff and James Norman Hall, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY has been especially remastered in honor of its 75th anniversary, having undergone a full photochemical restoration sourced from the film long-thought-lost, and recently rediscovered original nitrate camera negative. The film's audio track has also been restored for this presentation, resulting in a stellar opportunity to experience this classic as never before due to the unparalleled home-theater quality that only Blu-ray can deliver.

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1935) will also be available for permanent download and digital rental through iTunes, Amazon Video On Demand, PlayStation Store and Xbox LIVE Zune Video Marketplace.

Synopsis

HMS Bounty sails for Tahiti by way of Cape Horn…and into movie lore. Grandly filmed, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY captured the 1935 Academy Award® for Best Picture and eight nominations total. Charles Laughton portrays Captain Bligh, a seafaring monster ruling with the law of fear. Clark Gable is first officer Fletcher Christian, whose will to obey erodes under Bligh’s tyranny. And Franchot Tone plays idealistic midshipman Byam, torn by his allegiance to both. That all three portrayals are vividly memorable is accented by the fact that for the only time in Oscar® history, three stars from the same film were Best Actor nominees.

Special Features:

• Vintage Featurette Pitcairn Island Today
  • Academy Awards® Newsreel
  • Theatrical Trailers of the 1935 and 1962 versions

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1935)

BLU-RAY BOOK

TRT: 128 minutes

B&W 4x3 Mono

Language: English

Subtitles: English, Spanish, French

Original Aspect Ratio: 1.33

U.S. Street Date: November 16, 2010

Order Date: October 12, 2010

FERT # / UPC: 1000123515 / 883929116157

$34.99 SRP

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs™ offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film. For more information:http://warnerblu.war...<wbr>com/</wbr>

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted July 19 2010 - 11:26 AM

Great news, one of my favorites. Glad Warners took the trouble to do the full restoration on a title that probably won't sell a lot of copies. It should look fantastic. Can't wait.  """"""     """""""""

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,983 posts

Posted July 20 2010 - 01:24 AM

This is a great film.  I also agree that it's unfortunate it will not sell a lot of copies which is why we don't see so many classics coming to hi-definition.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 20 2010 - 01:43 AM

i wonder if the future of classics restored and put out in hd format is going to be funded but the current crop of films, (al la what disney did with the live action funding his animated features) also, i can see where WB can use this every year prior to the Oscars there is always a set up in most B&M stores with the Oscar winners, so it shoud do well as the format continues to grow, i just hope that the future of classics  from the major studios will continue past just the oscar winners because right now criterion is kicking everyones ass.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,624 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 20 2010 - 02:15 AM

I think they have missed an opportunity for a film historian to do a commentary on this film.  Surely, it would be chock full of background information on the film and the history on which it is based.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted July 20 2010 - 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

I think they have missed an opportunity for a film historian to do a commentary on this film.  Surely, it would be chock full of background information on the film and the history on which it is based.

Mmmm . . . then any historian worth his or her salt would spend the entire film saying what utter rubbish it is.  As a slice of Hollywood 30s know-how, this movie still has a certain appeal, but as history it bears no relation to the real-life events beyond the names of a ship and a few characters.  The commentary by Stephen Walters on the R2 DVD of the 1984 version is outstanding.

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,624 posts

Posted July 20 2010 - 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by AdrianTurner 

Mmmm . . . then any historian worth his or her salt would spend the entire film saying what utter rubbish it is.  As a slice of Hollywood 30s know-how, this movie still has a certain appeal, but as history it bears no relation to the real-life events beyond the names of a ship and a few characters.  The commentary by Stephen Walters on the R2 DVD of the 1984 version is outstanding.

First of all, I wrote film historian assuming the reader would understand I was hoping for a commentary primarily about the film.  Yes some commentary about the history it is based on, but mostly about the film.  I've watched enough "historical" films to know I shouldn't rely on them for a history lesson.

Of course we don't need that now since your pronouncement of the film as "utter rubbish" is the definitive review of the film.  My goodness, why even devote the bit  space to discussing such rubbish.

Or are we allowed to have our own opinion?

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 20 2010 - 06:19 AM

IMO i think all of us here all want the same thing, a great presentation of a great classic film, if more info could be provided via an outstanding commentary, its just icing on the cake. but bringing up the historical inacuracies in the film is like stating that the romans were notorious for kirk douglass's flat top in Spartacus, some time i think as film buff's we delve a little to deep and forget the bigger picture, that all of these were made to entertain, if it meets that criteria alone; then its done it job, if it takes it to the next level, then it achives greatness or a cult following.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,728 posts

Posted July 20 2010 - 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

Is Rudy Behlmer still recording commentaries?  He's a treasure trove of information and a delight to listen to; unfortunately he's also getting up there in years (past 80).

As the years go by, the pool of film historians well versed in this era of filmmaking doesn't seem to grow...in other words, I'm not sure if there's a lot of bench strength in the "next generation" of commentors.  I'd love to be wrong though.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,624 posts

Posted July 21 2010 - 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Steve...O 

I'd love to be wrong though.

I'd like that too.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted July 21 2010 - 09:05 PM

If memory serves me, Mutiny on the Bounty runs about 135 minutes - long for its day - and that would surely tax the abilities of any prospective commentator.  Once one has tackled the basics - Gable's famous reluctance to take the role for fear of looking effeminate: oddly enough, he does look effeminiate and the movie is sometimes surprisingly homoerotic, whereas Brando played the part as a fop and never once seems effeminate or homoerotic.  Laughton's obsession with his ugliness is another possible topic . . . then there's the building of the ship and the decision to film on Catalina Island rather than Tahiti itself.  In my view, the film isn't interesting on a visual level and Lloyd's direction is totally pedestrian.  That should take about 15 minutes, leaving two hours which means discussing the novels by Nordoff and Hall and the film's relationship with historical fact, such as the early scenes of press ganging (never happened on this trip); Bligh's instant dislike of Christian (in fact, they were friends); Bligh's sadism and cruelty (in fact, he was overly considerate towards the crew); Bligh's return to arrest the mutineers (never did) etc etc. This film, along with scores of others, are so well-known that they are taken as the authoritative or official version of history - in Tahiti once I heard a guide say to his group that the mutiny was caused by Bligh ordering water for the breadfruit plants and none for his men.  So as a famous newspaper editor once said, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,809 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 22 2010 - 12:06 AM

"Mister Christiaaaan!" I bought the 1935 Mutiny on the Bounty on DVD about a year ago. I won't be upgrading to Blu, it's my least favourite of the big three Bounty films. Laughton's nasty brutish Bligh is still the most famous version of the role even if the real Bligh was nothing like that.

The 1962 Brando Mutiny is my favourite, despite a final death scene which seems to go on forever. Stunning photography and scenery, a fantastic music score by Bronislau Kaper and my favourite Bligh, the wonderfully sneery Trevor Howard.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted July 22 2010 - 01:58 AM

I'll pass on this - give me the Brando version, please. A perfect release would've been all three versions of the film in one package, even if there were zero extras. Missed opportunity here.
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#14 of 24 ONLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,401 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted July 22 2010 - 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Luisito34 

I'll pass on this - give me the Brando version, please. A perfect release would've been all three versions of the film in one package, even if there were zero extras. Missed opportunity here.

I have the Brando version on HD-DVD. It looks and sounds terrific, so I expect that it will look just as stunning if it ever gets to Blu-ray.

Rich Gallagher

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,110 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 22 2010 - 03:33 AM

I am in agreement with you.  I am going to pass also.  I have wanted to and have supported Warner's with their blu-ray classic releases, but I am going to back off on this one.  As I think I will for a few of the others announced for the rest of the year.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Rob Willey

Rob Willey

Screenwriter

• 1,202 posts

Posted July 22 2010 - 06:41 AM

This is one of my favorite films.  Ordinarily I wouldn't bother upgrading from the DVD on a film of this vintage, but "a full photochemical restoration sourced from the film long-thought-lost, and recently rediscovered original nitrate camera negative"?  I'm in.
"That suits me down to the ground."

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,624 posts

Posted July 22 2010 - 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by AdrianTurner 

If memory serves me, Mutiny on the Bounty runs about 135 minutes - long for its day - and that would surely tax the abilities of any prospective commentator.  Once one has tackled the basics...

This film, along with scores of others, are so well-known that they are taken as the authoritative or official version of history - in Tahiti once I heard a guide say to his group that the mutiny was caused by Bligh ordering water for the breadfruit plants and none for his men.  So as a famous newspaper editor once said, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

I know you have a general disdain for this film, but to claim a well prepared commentator couldn't provide a full-length commentary is, IMHO, incorrect.  I refer you to the commentary by Paul Jensen for the Mummy, Tom Weaver on the Wolfman and Creature from the Black Lagoon.  The latter, in particular, has scarcely a quiet moment during his commentary.  And the commentary is all pertinent to the film at hand.

I have found the commentaries for older movies, which cannot rely on the director's off the cuff memory, are often very good.  Much better than the director who sits down in front of the screen and promptly says he hasn't seen his movie in years.  In this case the director has made no research, prepared no comments, and is just  speaking as things come to his mind.  I'm not saying these commentaries can't be good, but often aren't.  This is why I was hoping for a commentary for MOB.

As far as how the public perceives the historical accuracy of films, in my case, at least since I was old enough to shave, I have taken the history in films with a big boulder of salt.  I believe MOTB is so well remembered because it is rousing good entertainment and an excellent film.

As for Gable appearing effeminate and the movie having homoerotic tones, I guess I'll have to watch it again with those comments in mind, as I've never gotten that vibe from the movie.  Of course large portions  of the movie on on the Bounty with nary a female in site.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,055 posts

Posted July 22 2010 - 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rob Willey 

This is one of my favorite films.  Ordinarily I wouldn't bother upgrading from the DVD on a film of this vintage, but "a full photochemical restoration sourced from the film long-thought-lost, and recently rediscovered original nitrate camera negative"?  I'm in.

Yep, that's why I am looking forward to this release.  The previous cardboard-sleeve DVD release came with a pretty rough print.  And while I'm disappointed there is no new DVD extras (like the upcoming Bogey releases), I'm glad its part of a digibook which I hope will add further insight in this film's production.

It's not my favorite film, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I do agree that the Brando MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY should be forthcoming now.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,163 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 22 2010 - 01:32 PM

Evidently, they're planning a separate release for the 1962 version which is why they included the trailer for it in this release to peek some interest in it.  I already have it on HD DVD so I'll enjoy a double feature presentation in high definition when I get the 1935 version on BRD.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,711 posts

Posted July 23 2010 - 02:32 AM

I'll probably get it for a good price. It is not my favorite version either, but as history it is no more fanciful than the Brando version (or Spartacus for that matter). But, it is a good movie for its time, and I do want to support Warner in their efforts to bring out classic movies on Blu-ray. I agree a double feature with the Brando version would have been awesome.

Speaking of the Brando version, I'd like to see a seamless branching version with the deleted prologue/epilog restored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users